Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 09-13-2002, 01:31 AM   #1
D*Ranged

Is using Garrick as a main spellcaster until I get to satisfactory level to dual Imoen a good or bad idea? I know it may be fun, but there is no fun when ur a** is being whopped every time because of lack of spells that could turn the tide of battle,,,
Old 09-13-2002, 02:46 AM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

Garrick is, in just about every way, inadequate. Bards are generally useless until you reach Shadows of Amn, and even then they leave a lot to be desired. Do bear in mind that a mage or bard isn't even necessary in BG I - spellcasters have so few spells at their disposal in this game that I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a 'lack of spells that could turn the tide of battle...' [img]smile.gif[/img]

Personally, I'd leave Imoen as a thief - you're going to need a decent rogue later on when you reach Durlag's Tower anyway, and perhaps pick up Dynaheir or Xan if you really want a spellcaster [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2002, 03:29 AM   #3
Jan

Being a mage/thief is a pretty bad idea I understand? Yeaa those useless [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] 7 hitpoints really annoy me. Die lots of times [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

Hmm seems like I have to start a new game [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Seems like I'm only good as a fighter (berserker) [img]graemlins/braveheart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/ninja.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2002, 04:28 AM   #4
D*Ranged

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Garrick is, in just about every way, inadequate. Bards are generally useless until you reach Shadows of Amn, and even then they leave a lot to be desired. Do bear in mind that a mage or bard isn't even necessary in BG I - spellcasters have so few spells at their disposal in this game that I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a 'lack of spells that could turn the tide of battle...' [img]smile.gif[/img]

Personally, I'd leave Imoen as a thief - you're going to need a decent rogue later on when you reach Durlag's Tower anyway, and perhaps pick up Dynaheir or Xan if you really want a spellcaster [img]smile.gif[/img]
But wouldn't a fireball at powerful enemies in BG1 be a nice incentive? It may save a few battles that take a major hassle. Or so I have found.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:13 AM   #5
Merlin Al'Thor
Drow Warrior

I'm shocked that anyone could say that mages are useless! and preists!! whoes going to heal u, or add a few extra damage on the enemie or entrap them altogether. i hang my head in disbelief.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:19 AM   #6
Jan

Well it wasn't what I meant Merlin Al'Thor. Just that I'm not very good as a mage early in the game. Only a few spells and 7 hitpoints. It hurts when ranged monsters show up [img]graemlins/whipitgood.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2002, 07:10 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Spellcasters are, in general, weak in BG1, especially Mages. You begin to start thinking, "Gee, I wish I had a Mage, so I could cast....." at around Chapter 4 or so. Before that, your best best is 4 Fighters, a Priest, and a Thief. So, you could make a Brawling-style party until you're around Level 5 or so, then go pick up one (or more) of the Mages, who will be at approximately your level, so you can use the good spells right away. Or, you could take Imoen, get her to 100% in Traps as quickly as you can, run around and do all the Trap-heavy areas, and then Dual her, safe in the knowledge that by the time you need to disarm Traps again, she'll have her Theif half back.

Yes, Mage/Thieves have poor hitpoints, but not as poor as straight Mages! And their hitpoints and AC become irrelevant, especially in BG2, where a Wizard's defensive spells can make him invincible. (Protection from Magic Weapons, anyone?)
Old 09-18-2002, 02:44 AM   #8
Kormar the Wanderer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:

Actually, I've always found Bards to be invaluable... They can cover several areas in several classes to round out a party...
Old 09-18-2002, 09:25 AM   #9
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

Maybe they are better in BG2 but in BG1 I am not impressed with the bard character
Old 09-18-2002, 09:46 AM   #10
Jan

I have never ever had a bard in my parties. Found no use. Bards seemed very weak both in BGI and BGII in my opinion. Maybe it was just me who never saw the potential? Tried one early in BGI but he seemd useless. Couldn't use his song for anything. As said it might just be me [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img] .