Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-22-2002, 10:52 AM   #21
MagiK

Geeez Epona, I didn't know you guys got stuff like that
I do like the way you put it... "Arse about face" [img]smile.gif[/img] never heard it said quite like that.

While I enjoy hunting, Unlike Nacht I do not like the taste of small game and so no longer hunt small game, since I don't kill unless it is for food. Deer are pretty much the only thigs I hunt now. Oh and some times turkey. My family also has a tradition of quick kills (head shots, heart shots), none of us likes to have an animal suffer.

[ 11-22-2002, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-22-2002, 10:54 AM   #22
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
I hunt because I love the taste of most game animals. There's nothing quite like deer, or elf(MMMMMMMM) or most wild animals.
So, what's your favourite kind of elf? [img]tongue.gif[/img] I prefer the taste of Wood Elves [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Hey, what's that? What are those elves doing in my yard with bows and arro- Arrrgh! *sound of bowstring, door being broken down and Neb's carcass being dragged outside where he's fried and served as hamburgers by the elves to avenge their families*
Old 11-22-2002, 11:00 AM   #23
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I don't mind the idea of shooting animals too much but wouldn't do it myself, and if it is for food then fine, I don't like it if it's just for the sake of it. It's probably less cruel than what goes on in slaughterhouses anyway!
Just wanted to comment on this one point. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Being a *responsible* hunter(and all of those here who are the same will back me up, I'm sure), I agree with your point about killing just for the sake of it. It pisses me off to no end when I see people who are just sport hunting. I've come upon carcasses in the woods with antlers, hooves and/or head missing...and NOTHING ELSE!! It makes me so mad I could shoot something(on two legs, not four). When that happens, if the kill is fresh, I try to salvage the meat, but if not, then I at least try to dispose of it properly, and I ALWAYS let fish and game know(last time I went hunting, my Dad had a nifty GPS, and we were able to give Fish and Game the exact coordinates of the carcass. They tracked the poacher down and the guy got 10 years in the state pen. Score one for the good guys ). The ONLY IMNSHO acceptable way to hunt is to make as clean a kill as possible and to eat the meat. Taking the antlers of a prize buck is all well and good, if you follow through and dont leave the body to rot.

Oh...and, having worked in a slaughterhouse...Well, all of the *properly* run ones are totally humane. The animal is killed cleanly with a single hit from a bolt gun and then slaughtered. Quick and painless. That's not to say that there aren't improperly run ones...but those are breaking the law, and the Health Department cracks down on more and more of them every year.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 11-22-2002, 11:00 AM   #24
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Awesome post Epona! [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the info. Back in the Pacific Northwest we always had to worry about 'Beaver Fever'(sorry, I dont know the proper name). It's similiar to Dysentary in effect. It's not deadly(unless you get weakened by dehydration and cant get to help), but it's thoroughly uncomfortable. It is carried by small woodland rodentia(mostly beaver, hence the name) and you can get it by eating undercooked infected meat, or drinking in un-sanitized creek water...erm...apparently it's in the beaver poop. [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img] Fortunately, if you boil the water, or use standard water purification tablets, it takes care of the problem. LOL...We used both when we were camping. The pills, then boiled the water. The pills leave a funky aftertaste, but after you boil it, the taste is mostly gone. With the meat, as long as you make sure you cook it thoroughly, there's no problem.

Fortunately, at least when I was an active hunter, Mad Cow wasn't that big of an issue. Back then it was just E-Coli. :S[/QB]
It's called Giardiasis or giardia. We were warned about it before traveling to Russia back in the 80's and my brother got it while hiking in the New England area of the US. It's not readily diagnosed here, at least not in New England, because my brother was pretty sick by the time doctors figured out what it was.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:01 AM   #25
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
I hunt because I love the taste of most game animals. There's nothing quite like deer, or elf(MMMMMMMM) or most wild animals.
So, what's your favourite kind of elf? [img]tongue.gif[/img] I prefer the taste of Wood Elves [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Hey, what's that? What are those elves doing in my yard with bows and arro- Arrrgh! *sound of bowstring, door being broken down and Neb's carcass being dragged outside where he's fried and served as hamburgers by the elves to avenge their families*
[/QUOTE]LOLOLOLOL [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] And Nebling gets the prize for spotting the awful typo in my post. HAHAHAHAHA

Great post Neb.

Old 11-22-2002, 11:05 AM   #26
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
It's called Giardiasis or giardia. We were warned about it before traveling to Russia back in the 80's and my brother got it while hiking in the New England area of the US. It's not readily diagnosed here, at least not in New England, because my brother was pretty sick by the time doctors figured out what it was.
Thanks for the info CloudyHoney. [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

Lucky for your brother he finally *did* get diagnosed. I've heard that it *can* be fatal if un- or improperly treated. [img]smile.gif[/img]

See y'all...that's what going to college will do to you. Give you encyclopediac knowledge of weird diseases. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] *runs for his life*

Old 11-22-2002, 11:07 AM   #27
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

bleh i'm now goign to become a vegeterian...

Poor deer... so innocent... why can't you just go out to a feild and shoot some cows or some swans or sea turtles or something?
Old 11-22-2002, 11:08 AM   #28
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
quote:
Thanks for the info CloudyHoney. [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

Lucky for your brother he finally *did* get diagnosed. I've heard that it *can* be fatal if un- or improperly treated. [img]smile.gif[/img]

See y'all...that's what going to college will do to you. Give you encyclopediac knowledge of weird diseases. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] *runs for his life*
[/QUOTE][img]tongue.gif[/img]

*graciously avoids telling him she spotted the ELF massacre in his post too*
Old 11-22-2002, 11:10 AM   #29
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Well, if nothing else, I know that I can always count on my ClLoudyHoney for discretion, tact, and wit. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2002, 11:16 AM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
quote:
Well, if nothing else, I know that I can always count on my ClLoudyHoney for discretion, tact, and wit. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]And ask antryg, I still have the old trouts to thwack you with! [img]graemlins/kissy2.gif[/img]

BTW, Epona, that's scary, that your mail gets so many nasty things in it! Sheesh! I'd hate to work in your mail room!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]