Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
I hope no Baldur's Gate 3 ever sees the light of the day.
Quote:
Originally posted by ocellis:
Because the story has been told. There is nothing left to do for the main character or the NPCs. There can be no prequel for obvious reasons, and anything that plays after Throne of Bhaal would either be anti-climatic, or require a Planescape-like setting.
Well, you have nothing to worry about then. Here's a couple of quotes from Josh Sawyer about the TBH ("The Black Hound"):

"The Black Hound was its working title when we stopped, with the "BG3" added on at the front because Interplay could only make PC D&D games with the names Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale in the title. It actually had nothing to do with the Baldur's Gate series."

"It's hard to remember exactly when it started, but I believe it was around late 2000 to early 2001. Development was concurrent with Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, though only a very small team was working on The Black Hound during that period. In truth, TBH did not have a full development team until after the end of Icewind Dale 2."

"For a while, TBH (which was internally called FR6 and externally called Jefferson) was a Baldur's Gate title, though the only things the project had in common with BG titles were a) a D&D ruleset b) the Forgotten Realms setting and c) a party of companions. The Baldur's Gate storyline and characters were never referenced."

"Before the project was canceled at Black Isle, the game's "official" (though never formally announced) name was Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound; the only reason for this was because, at the time, Interplay had the rights to publish only those D&D games that contained the names "Baldur's Gate" and "Icewind Dale" in their titles (hence the unrelated Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance console games)."

So "The Black Hound" was BG3 in NAME only. It wasn't a prequel or sequel to the Bhaal spawn story.

Read the entire article here:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interview...lackhound1.php

@Ziroc - There is only one screenshot of the game on the link that toot33 posted. It's NOT clear that the screenshot is from NWN2 work, since the project dates back over SIX YEARS. As for NWN2 being buggy, I totally disagree. I've played through the OC four times now, under various patches and since the v1.03 patch I've had NO SHOW STOPPING bugs! Not a one. And I've encountered ONE, that's right - just one, minor bug due to a looping convo that gave out endless xp.

[ 05-19-2007, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

So, is there going to be another Baldur's Gate game or not? I'd even like it if they did another Dark Alliance game for the ps3 or the 360, does anyone know if that'll ever happen?
Old 05-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Probably not, but that's what I've said about Diablo 3 too, and I've started hearing the odd rumor about Blizzard trying to put together a development team for such a project. So really, who knows. As long as they don't try to play off the storyline of the first two games I don't think it would flop too badly.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Gotta say though, on the NWN2 issue, it was buggy as hell at release which I think we have come to expect from Atari games anyways. But, I also think people mean how badly designed and coded it is (I say "is" because I took another look at it last week). The devs have tried to play down the coding issues people screamed, but what the hell could it be then?

The engine itself feels almost saturated with the graphical upgrade, making it clunky and horrible to simply walk around. Let's not even talk about the "new and revolutionized" UI because i'd take the old UI back anyday, at least that was responsive and streamlined. It isn't a technical issue on my side, I have played it on theree systems, the highest sporting a dual core, 7900gt and 2g ram.

My characters sit in the second chapter, and there they stay because I simply don't have fun playing the thing. The story is there, the plot is there, but the experience of playing to get through the game is just horrible, backwards, outdated. Things that were implemented in the space between NWN1 and 2 were ignored. It's like the creators went into hiding as soon as the first game was released and then came back out to herald the second.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #15
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Balintherlas:
So, is there going to be another Baldur's Gate game or not? I'd even like it if they did another Dark Alliance game for the ps3 or the 360, does anyone know if that'll ever happen?
Firestormalpha is right about the Blizzard rumours, but they are just rumours at this point. I actually hope they DON'T make another BG series game. I would rather have something new and fresh.

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Gotta say though, on the NWN2 issue, it was buggy as hell at release which I think we have come to expect from Atari games anyways. But, I also think people mean how badly designed and coded it is (I say "is" because I took another look at it last week). The devs have tried to play down the coding issues people screamed, but what the hell could it be then?

The engine itself feels almost saturated with the graphical upgrade, making it clunky and horrible to simply walk around. Let's not even talk about the "new and revolutionized" UI because i'd take the old UI back anyday, at least that was responsive and streamlined. It isn't a technical issue on my side, I have played it on theree systems, the highest sporting a dual core, 7900gt and 2g ram.

My characters sit in the second chapter, and there they stay because I simply don't have fun playing the thing. The story is there, the plot is there, but the experience of playing to get through the game is just horrible, backwards, outdated. Things that were implemented in the space between NWN1 and 2 were ignored. It's like the creators went into hiding as soon as the first game was released and then came back out to herald the second.
Yeah the first release was problematic, (Another Atari f***up) and the V1.02 patch was a disaster (But thankfully I never loaded that patch). It didn't take long for the v1.03 patch to hit the net though, and since then the game has been a dream.

I honestly prefer the new UI to the old circular wheel design. I thought the circular wheel was a pain in the butt.

Don't know what to say about your problems. The game works flawlessly for me. No glitches, no bugs (except for the one mentioned before) and my system is hardly top-of-the-line.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 05-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well they're not technical problems per se. At least they aren't on my side since I tested it with 3 different systems. I guess it just is up to one's expectations. After testing games like LOTR online (which IMHO looks similiar to NWN2 or as much as an MMO can be graphically) and seeing how well it runs in comparison, I tend to really note how badly implemented the thing is. I can't really prove my findings...it is just personal taste. It "feels" rugged, bulky, overstuffed with code and script and I swear I can sense the old engine buckle under the strain. I wasn't too fond of the old radial menu either but would take it back in a second against this thing.

The thing is for a new game it isn't that graphically impressive, so I have always felt these issues to be inexcusable when I look at some other games that pulled alot more off and alot more easily (Oblivion for example...even the new Might and Magic).

Forgive the oversimplification, but I truly feel that with NWN2 they gave an outdated engine a slew of updated graphic hakpacks (that weren't implemented properly), and basically created a good NWN1 mod and called it NWN2.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #17
Link
Jack Burton

Default Re: Baldurs gate 3 AKA " the black hound"

There are probably loads of threads in IW's history that talk about BG3. I know I myself proposed the whole prequel idea about four years ago, not too long after ToB was released. The Time of Troubles still is a very interesting period to host a game in, but, as ZFR rightly says, the storyline for the main protagonist (the prodiginal Child of Bhaal) is over.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #18
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
The only way a Baldur's Gate 3 could work is if it had nothing to do with the original plot character. There were lots of interesting side quest chars that could be developed, however.
And that's while it will work .. it's NOT a sequel to BG2/TOB.

It's a completely separate MOD, guys. It's not being developed by Obsidian, or Bioware, or Black Isle .. but by ONE GUY! JE Sawyer.

to spiritwarrior: fair enough. I disagree but then aside from one misicule problem, my game has run great, and the graphics are awesome depsite SOME opinions around here.

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 10-05-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #19
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Balderdash with BG1 in the BG2 format is the best BG3 anyone will ever make.
I've been playing it for the past couple of weeks on and off and its great fun.
That is if you don't mind old style graphics. Don't forget to add some or all of
the mod adventures and side quests for some new content
Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #20
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Any new Forgotten Realms CRPG will get my support. Including "The Broken Hourglass."

Last edited by Attalus; 10-10-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote