Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #11
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

It's not important to me personally, but as long as people place any meaning into IQ tests, I'm gonna be doing them and not procrastinate about it. If MENSA gives benefits for enrolling in schools later, then I'm all for it!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #12
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well, I'm really not meaning to toot my own horn here, but what it said about me is very close if not right on. Some of the other stuff posted would not apply to me, so I have to believe there was a good deal of thought put into it.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #13
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I've taken a few IQ tests and my results have fluctuated wildly. From the low 120s to the high 140s. I really don't put much stock in IQ tests as a measure of personal intellect at all.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Great post, Lucern [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . And that is how they are approached when they are used properly (i.e. by trained psychologists etc). Anyone who takes an online IQ test seriously, especially one found on a site with heaps of other quizzes, is out of their mind . Whether those tests you took, Hiero, were giving you a true measure of your IQ at all, would depend on what the tests where, how and where you took them, who administered them, and how they were scored and interpreted.

They are worthless (generally), Zuvio, if you just take the final number and think that it is meaningful. Comparing two people by their overall IQ is silly and unfair. But looking at the different subtests and what they measure and what they mean about a person's intellectual capability and processing capacity etc. and their relative strengths and weaknesses when doing cognitive tasks, they are very useful and meaningful. For example, they are useful for looking at how children with developmental disorders can prevent future problems and overcome present problems by using their personal strengths and devising alternative solutions, and useful for devising treatment and maintenance programs for people with head injuries or other brain-affecting problems (e.g., dementia), and also tracking the course of long-term problems like dementia.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #15
Absynthe

I'm with Piles on this.