Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Question Mark A good AC for a tank in ID?

Into level 2 dragons eye and the best i can get for my 2 main tanks is an AC-4 (should be -5 as dext at only 17), and they are getting hit hard. I know AC can be lowered by way of spells 'prot from evil, harmony ...' but before this stage what AC should you look to get or what is acheivable once rings, armour etc are added?
Funnily enough my cleric has best AC at -8 thanks to a magical helmet i bought and max dexterity and even she is getting hit alot and they are only lizardmen doing the damage.
Once again thanks for any replies.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Default Re: A good AC for a tank in ID?

Paladins can get -6 or better, depending on items. AC 3 with plate mail, -1 with max Dex, -3 with innate Protection from Evil, -5 with Ring of Protection +2, and -6 for a normal shield.

Your AC is around where it should be. Lizardmen hit hard, so you need to use tactics to deal with them. Web, Entangle, and even Grease are good spells. Every character should have a missile weapon.

Your cleric should have Protection From Evil 10' Radius by now. Use it. You need every advantage you can get.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Like Aerich said, your AC is what it should be more or less at this point. There is an axe in level 2 of dragon's eye that grants an additional -2 by the way.

Use the terrain to your advantage. NARROW PASSAGES! Make a choke point, engage only 1 lizardman at a time, have 1 or 2 tanks and rest fire missiles. Use immobilizing spells + area of effect damagers.

Level 2 of dragon eye is one of the most (if not the most) difficult areas of the game relatively speaking - considering the difficulty curve to how powerful your party is at this pont. It is also a good place to try out new tactics against those pesky trolls and lizardman. Save often. And enjoy.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for both your replies, encouraging to know i am at the proper levels and using your advice re chokepoints etc. Lizardmen okay now but big struggle with spiders and when they are backed up by trolls it is very difficult but highly enjoyable. Thanks again.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote