Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-11-2002, 11:28 AM   #41
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Ever heard of monogamy? That's pretty safe sex.
That’s a silly thing to say. Even with a monogamous relationship you cannot be sure, some STD’s can still be transmitted by other ways than sex.
Besides some people wish to practise polyamory (which before you rail against it, is perfectly fine as long as all involved are consenting adults) and without safe sex that could be risky.[/QB][/QUOTE]How does one get a "sexually transmitted disease" other than through sex? It would then be a TD wouldn't it?

If you did what the R/C church recommended and had one sex partner, married for life, we would not get STDs. Safe sex is not the only way to prevent AIDS. Abstinence and life long monogamy are sure fire ways to never get SEXUALLY transmitted diseases.

Thus they are not promoting the spread of AIDS. If anything, the contraception ban (which I disagree with BTW) promotes poverty in South America, not AIDS. A good Catholic who adheres to the no contraception edict, is less likely to go around having multiple affairs.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-11-2002, 11:33 AM   #42
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
quote:
Yet again, Dramnek takes a collection of individuals, personifies them as one collective, and presumes to speak for their motives.

Presuming one persons motives is ridiculous. Presuming millions is laughable.

Pointless arguing with someone who presumes to know the inner motives of others. Such a person knows everything I guess.
Take a look at your own posts sometime lest you be entitled a hypocrite.[/QB][/QUOTE]Show me one post where I have posted presuming to know why people believe, what their inner motivations are. Have I ever written down why athiests don't believe? No.

Old 05-11-2002, 11:39 AM   #43
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
One of the method by which the Catholic Church controls people is by teaching them that sex is a bad thing. This creates constant guilt and repression in people thus binding them closer to the church, since sex & related things is a fact of life and something most people encounter often.
Contraception chips away at this by allowing sex to be had as a recreational activity, this threatens and undermines an important part of their power strategy I.e. that sex is wicked and should only be performed for procreation.
The opposition to contraception (and therefore Safe Sex) is also Idiocy on a rarely seen scale what with AIDS/HIV and so many other sexually transmitted diseases around nowadays.
Sorry but safe sex and no contraception are not mutually exclusive.
I hope you realise that for AIDS to be caught one has to already have it, and since Catholics believe in abstinence before marriage, and no divorce, then it's certain you won't catch one actually, more certain than a condom in fact.
No contraception doesn't mean Catholics go around mpregnating anyone and everyone does it.
Also, just in case you didn't know, I am not a Catholic, but I like to play devil's advocate, and besides, you have some fairly ludicrous-sounding idea's about the Catholic's.
First, you presume to know exactly what their intents are, then you make it sound as if they are some organisation trying to overtake the world.
They are a religion! Remember that... however big they get, to do what would be necessary to become a sinlge religion, they would have to against their own rules.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:41 AM   #44
Talthyr Malkaviel

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
Dont forget about masturbation. Its sex with someone you love
LOL, thanks for lightening up the thread.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:41 AM   #45
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
quote:
So speaks Pope Dramnek. I suppose he has an answer for why it continues to grow in number, and for why the Roman Catholic Church continues to change.
All over the western world the number of priests Recruited is plummeting, and people are flocking away from it. In Ireland, America, Britain and the rest of Europe people are leaving and they are not getting enough new priests, and every year child abuse scandals continue to rock the church.[/QB][/QUOTE]I'm not seeing people flocking away from it in Ireland. Do you have figures? What about South America? The last I read, numbers were growing.

Don't misunderstand my position. I'm a Protestant. Protestantism was founded on PROTESTS against the Roman Catholic Church. However, I don't support unfactual generalised attacks, on a body of people that still do much good in the world, and an organisation that gives people meaning in their lives.

Catholicism is not for me, but I would never begrudge someone worshipping there. I would embrace them as bretheren.

You on the other hand seem determined to sow misery wherever you write. Attacking the church, faith, entertainment. Things that give people joy. Why?

Don't just dismiss this as an "ad hominem attack". These are genuine concerns of mine.

I have never seen you post constructively, only negatively. Even your apparent 'support' for your Pseudocommunist ideology is based on negative reactionism to Capitalism and failed Marxist/Leninist/Stalinism.

Why so? Why be so intent on trying to remove peoples joy? Are you that bitter you cannot stand to see people happy?

Old 05-11-2002, 11:43 AM   #46
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
quote:
One of the method by which the Catholic Church controls people is by teaching them that sex is a bad thing. This creates constant guilt and repression in people thus binding them closer to the church, since sex & related things is a fact of life and something most people encounter often.
Contraception chips away at this by allowing sex to be had as a recreational activity, this threatens and undermines an important part of their power strategy I.e. that sex is wicked and should only be performed for procreation.
The opposition to contraception (and therefore Safe Sex) is also Idiocy on a rarely seen scale what with AIDS/HIV and so many other sexually transmitted diseases around nowadays.
Sorry but safe sex and no contraception are not mutually exclusive.
I hope you realise that for AIDS to be caught one has to already have it, and since Catholics believe in abstinence before marriage, and no divorce, then it's certain you won't catch one actually, more certain than a condom in fact.
No contraception doesn't mean Catholics go around mpregnating anyone and everyone does it.
Also, just in case you didn't know, I am not a Catholic, but I like to play devil's advocate, and besides, you have some fairly ludicrous-sounding idea's about the Catholic's.
First, you presume to know exactly what their intents are, then you make it sound as if they are some organisation trying to overtake the world.
They are a religion! Remember that... however big they get, to do what would be necessary to become a sinlge religion, they would have to against their own rules.
[/QUOTE]Good on you Talthyr! Well said. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2002, 12:04 PM   #47
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Î don't think that they should protect these people just because they are preists, that is like saying that the church is above the law, criminals should be put to justice, no matter what their occupation, if we can impeache and arrest our own PRESIDENT we should be able to put a preist in a cell...
Old 05-11-2002, 12:07 PM   #48
Talthyr Malkaviel

Thanks [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I just get a bit confuddled when someone assumes that no contraception means having sex with every single woman they come across.
Not just by the catholics rules, some people who aren't Catholics don't use them either, and plus, you can't always have safe sex Dramnek.
See there's this little problem with that, if everyone had safe sex, guess what, no kids!!
It would be a rather odd end to the human race.
Exterminated by plastic.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:11 PM   #49
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Thanks [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I just get a bit confuddled when someone assumes that no contraception means having sex with every single woman they come across.
Not just by the catholics rules, some people who aren't Catholics don't use them either, and plus, you can't always have safe sex Dramnek.
See there's this little problem with that, if everyone had safe sex, guess what, no kids!!
It would be a rather odd end to the human race.
Exterminated by plastic.
LOL! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

I agree totally.

Old 05-11-2002, 12:20 PM   #50
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

That's why I don't go to masses, support Churches and the like.. even without the figures I just now something is just going on.. not just this.. this just got out of hand... but what about the 'others'?

Well why can't just people wait anyway.. sometimes it is silly... but if you are going to have sex might as well be sure of it and not just do it with someone you just met... If most people just wait or be monogamous (which I believe can radically reduce the spread of STDs), then the whole world would be a better place, there may be less room for their whims but then it is worth it