Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default US Women's Soccer (football) champs !

It takes a lot to get recognized in the US if it's soccer we're talking about. The US general populace has never cared much for our soccer team, and only recently has soccer been making news, maybe due to the amount of people from Mexico moving across the border and bringing traditions with them. In fact, the only thing I knew about Soccer when I was in school was that it's a sport girls usually play.

I know the men's Soccer team has been getting better in recent years, but it's time for the US to recognize the Women's Soccer team for winning the cup Sunday! I wish more was being celebrated on this win. I have a feeling most people either don't know or don't care...that the women's cup is somehow inferior in the world of sports. Are these feelings coming from a dad of three girls? That might have something to do with it...regardless, I felt prompted to post this on IW GenCon today that I am proud of our women's team and their 5-2 victory!
Old 07-07-2015, 04:52 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: US Women's Soccer (football) champs !

At that level, winning by 3 goals is a butt-whoopin. Congrats Ladies.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:42 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a good article from Washington Post called the Sad Gender Economics of the Womens World Cup. It does a great job saying what I hoped to say here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ens-world-cup/
Old 07-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Thumbs Up Re: US Women's Soccer (football) champs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
It takes a lot to get recognized in the US if it's soccer we're talking about. The US general populace has never cared much for our soccer team, and only recently has soccer been making news, maybe due to the amount of people from Mexico moving across the border and bringing traditions with them. In fact, the only thing I knew about Soccer when I was in school was that it's a sport girls usually play.

I know the men's Soccer team has been getting better in recent years, but it's time for the US to recognize the Women's Soccer team for winning the cup Sunday! I wish more was being celebrated on this win. I have a feeling most people either don't know or don't care...that the women's cup is somehow inferior in the world of sports. Are these feelings coming from a dad of three girls? That might have something to do with it...regardless, I felt prompted to post this on IW GenCon today that I am proud of our women's team and their 5-2 victory!
As the Dad of two girls, I say hear hear Larry!!

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

for starters...stop calling it soccer, and maybe we can have a discussion.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
for starters...stop calling it soccer, and maybe we can have a discussion.
Peeps in the USA don't really have an option. We have a near-blood-sport already commonly called "football". So, in order to differentiate, we use the term soccer.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
Peeps in the USA don't really have an option. We have a near-blood-sport already commonly called "football". So, in order to differentiate, we use the term soccer.
Futbol?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
That's the whole issue, there already was a sport called football when they invented American Football.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:57 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

I have been trying to keep track of this tournament, since it featured the first ever appearance of the Dutch ladies on this stage, but it was as i feared a major dissapointment. It's just that women aren't physically build for the game, much like the WNBA. Football is based on speed and technical skills and women lack both. Their enthousiasm is heartwarming but that just doesnt't cut it. I couldn't bare watching it for much longer than 20 minutes, and that wasn't just because of the timedifference, since i happily stayed up night after night to watch the Warrior-Rockets series, followed by the Warriors-Cavs. It's the lack of pace and skills that made me turn off the tv and go to sleep.

Nonetheless congrats to team USA.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Womens soccer/football is far better to watch than the mens. And no not because I'm a pervert(though I am a man so yes I am). Its just more exciting, a lot more action. They just go for things when men just pass the ball endlessly back and forth.