Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 10:13 AM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Your google search might also use "female circumcision", Larry. I suspect that FGM is the less ... offensive ... way to describe it. Or perhaps it's more offensive... I'm not sure.
It's the technical term human rights organisations and the like use, so that's why I suggested it - hoping the search would turn up more sites from serious organisations then. Also, using female circumcision as a search term, I got some sites promoting "hoodectomy" as an "elective" surgery meant to stimulate rather than deaden feeling.
Offensive or not offensive are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It's a sickening practise no matter what label you put on it or how much you are (in)offended by the label.
[/QUOTE]I agree - there are some seriously f***ed up things in this world!
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #12
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

First...it's more than just a couple countries doing it...I counted five and I probably missed some. 2 million a year is a whole lot of people.

Next, sorry I did not make the link to MLK day and this. My reasoning was that while MLK fought for freedom of his people in this land long ago, people in his ancestral homeland still suffer degrees of slavery today. I call this issue a degree of slavery and I am taking my Health class very serious this semester. I may even Minor in it instead of psychology like I first thought. Oppression of women in our land as well as others has always been a topic of interest to me, and this article I learned in class really hit me wrong.

Are you people going to be mad at me for wanting women of Africa to have a better life? It is sad that some of you could only find errors with the way I presented the message, instead of caring to comment on the reason for the message. Do not make this topic smaller than it really is by playing on my inability to deliver a clear message.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:53 AM   #13
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

Are you people going to be mad at me for wanting women of Africa to have a better life? It is sad that some of you could only find errors with the way I presented the message, instead of caring to comment on the reason for the message. Do not make this topic smaller than it really is by playing on my inability to deliver a clear message.
Not mad at you Larry - just didn't think that you understood that the vast majority of women undergo this voluntarily, even choosing to do it after they have left their own countries to settle in the west.

Can you list the countries where this takes place for us.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-20-2004, 12:03 PM   #14
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The last link that I provided is a list of the countries surveyed by the WHO in I think 1990...Aside from those listed, I remember seeing others in reading it somewhere, but I do not recall which article, or if it is in my text book. The 2 million per year figure comes from either the second or the third article.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

First...it's more than just a couple countries doing it...I counted five and I probably missed some. 2 million a year is a whole lot of people.
No on said anything to the contrary. [img]smile.gif[/img]
All Donut did was point out that Africa is not a country, it's a continent. So if anything that reinforces your point, that there are many countries where FGM is still prevalent.

Quote:
Next, sorry I did not make the link to MLK day and this. My reasoning was that while MLK fought for freedom of his people in this land long ago, people in his ancestral homeland still suffer degrees of slavery today. I call this issue a degree of slavery and I am taking my Health class very serious this semester. I may even Minor in it instead of psychology like I first thought. Oppression of women in our land as well as others has always been a topic of interest to me, and this article I learned in class really hit me wrong.
OK, fair enough. I see what you mean now by linking the two.

Quote:
Maybe you should read the posts again - no one has said anything like that. Sheesh.
If anything, people tried to help you by providing more info on the topic, and by correcting you where they thought you might have erroneous information. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Of course I think it's a good thing to draw attention to this problem, in fact I think I said so once before in this topic. [img]smile.gif[/img]