Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 08:16 PM   #31
Niadh
Elminster

BG3 wouldn't work as a direct sequel, there are too many possibilities at the end to take over- did you ascend or relinquiesh power? Who was your lover? Did Aerie have your baby? Did you free Sarevok? Were you good or evil, curse or blessing?

Only way to do it properly would be an unrelated game, enough of the Bhall Spawn story. Personally I wouldn't mind an unrelated game, more along teh lines of BG2 with strongholds and stuff. My guess is that BG3 will rot and be unused.

And am I one of the few people who prefer teh Aurora engine to Infinity?

Oh, and Fable will be the god of RPGs, I read an article on it today. You start out as 12! 12! and end up living to 55 when you retire with an updating avatar, scar, whitening hair, wrinkles, wandering in daylight gives you a tan, cave crawling makes you pale.
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 01-23-2004, 05:25 PM   #32
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Most game series end up like BG if not worse. For some reason, the investors don't like them. The programmers shops are traded like playing cards by the corporate execs. Unfortunately, our business models dictate that profit margins, not quality or continuous product, are what they look at. If the profits for a time period go down, the shop is liquidated. The shop gets shut down or cleared out by the new owners. Be thankful they finished BG at all! TOB was hastily thrown together to finish the story. IMHO it was a matter of pride and a grand gesture of the developers to bother with it at all knowing that the ship was going down.

[ 01-23-2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 01-23-2004, 11:18 PM   #33
Pyrius
Dungeon Master

If someone one was really hardcore on making a BG3 or IWD3, couldnt you use the NWN software to make one?
Old 01-24-2004, 01:03 AM   #34
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

The only way I could really think of a BG 'sequel' would be to branch off into another game instead of labeling it with BG. I actually thought a possiblility to continue the saga would be to have a follower of the PC (if he/she became a god) would go on adventures, do quests required by the deity and so forth.

As for the BG series itself, it should stay as is. You don't want to over do it when it's as good as it is already.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:18 AM   #35
uss
20th Level Warrior

Hmm, I've liked the idea that you play as another bhaalspawn, somewhere near in the timeline, who will eventually die somehow.

The thing is that the BG lisence is in Interplay's hands - and they're not planning to do anything with it, or so it seems, since they fired BIS just in time for Christmas.

If there would've been one, it wouldn't be in the Infinity Engine. I know there are pretty many BG fans out there, but there's certainly more money to be had with polished 3d graphics, to introduce lots of more people to the series. I have read the Interplay Forums, where once someone from BIS said that it's a lot more difficult to make an IE game than it is to make one with something like NWN's graphics. Don't get me wrong though, I'd personally love to have another IE game [img]smile.gif[/img]

By the way, has anyone here heard a rumor that one of BIS' new projects(All cancelled now, thanks to Interplay) was a Baldur's Gate sequel? In the official forums, many believe that.