Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2001, 07:47 AM   #31
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
For people unsure about the rules of cricket I hope this clarifies things:

The rules of Cricket are quite simple.

You have two sides - one out in the field and one in.
Each man that is in the side that is in goes out and when he is out he comes in and the next man goes in until he is out.

When they are all out, the side that is out comes in and the side that has been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When both sides have been in and out including the not outs, that is the end of the game.

Notes:
1) By field is meant any relatively flat piece of land preferably covered with grass. Size and shape is not important.
2) The field is often bordered by roads on all sides which are called boundaries and a pond somewhere in the field is common.
3) A public house next to the field, to enable players who have either not yet been in, who are out or have been in and are now out to purchase liquid refreshments during the game, is very popular.
4) Chairs placed around the circumference of the field for the use of players in the outfield in the team that is out are also very popular.
5) International games, called Test Matches, can go through this procedure twice which takes up to five days with breaks each day for lunch and tea and often also for rain.

HUH?!?!? I guess it is one of those things that are easier to understand if you are watching then by abstract. Like PnP DnD. And I didn't even mention Cricket. Oops.

BK
Old 03-16-2001, 08:01 AM   #32
Donut
Jack Burton

In 1939 there was a 'timeless' test match, between South Africa and England which was meant to have been played to a finish. After eleven days the match was abandoned without a result because the tourists had to catch the 8.50 train to Durban for a 2 day train journey to catch the boat home.

Yorick - I expect you'll drop by this thread at some time. Can I recommend the BGII board thread 'I just happened to cross'. Your favourite number is at it again, he is rewriting the history of Britain!!

------------------
The Truth is in the Profile
Old 03-16-2001, 08:06 AM   #33
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
In 1939 there was a 'timeless' test match, between South Africa and England which was meant to have been played to a finish. After eleven days the match was abandoned without a result because the tourists had to catch the 8.50 train to Durban for a 2 day train journey to catch the boat home.

Having lived in both the US and Australia I can say that cricket, while it might not be the most immediately exciting game to watch, is so much a mental and strategic game. It's like playing chess. Look at Ganguly's decision to hold off his declaration till just before lunch on the final day, setting Australia a total of over 300 to get in 2 1/2 sessions. Obviously playing for a draw, he got lucky when the Australian middle order collapsed. That's what broke it for the Aussies, I think if Ganguly had declared earlier they would've gone for it and got it.

Oh, and for everyone else, I'm not talking about the little green things that make wierd noises outside your window.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-16-2001, 08:23 AM   #34
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Ahem....

Baseball fan
me too, but I am a fan of all sports. God Bless SportCenter . . .

BK
Old 03-16-2001, 08:24 AM   #35
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi Donut, Hi Memnie, I would certainly say something about cricket if I new the rules for a start ! (I don't expect really to understand them, since your English-derivated minds are soooo twisted ... )
I even might take a special pseudo, like '256' for example !

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 08:27 AM   #36
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

but, how do you even reach a hundred point mark?

------------------

I...AM...BAHAMUT
Old 03-16-2001, 08:29 AM   #37
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
CloudConfused, how could you not love a game that goes on for 5 days and could still end up with no result?

I really want to find the people who invented this game and beat some sense into them, why invent a game that last for days on end with only people throwing a ball at a bat?
It was denfinly made by the nobles because they were the only people that had such free time, and don't get me started on golf!

[This message has been edited by Gabriel (edited 03-16-2001).]
Old 03-16-2001, 08:40 AM   #38
Donut
Jack Burton

Memnoch - baseball has it's good points as well. For instance it's one of only two sports where you can win the World Series without letting teams from any other countries compete (apart from Canada of course)

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 09:00 AM   #39
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Memnoch - baseball has it's good points as well. For instance it's one of only two sports where you can win the World Series without letting teams from any other countries compete (apart from Canada of course)

Donut, have I ever told you that I love your style?

We'll still kick your ass in the Ashes though. Last I heard you'd lost 4 wickets in Sri Lanka?

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-16-2001, 09:16 AM   #40
Donut
Jack Burton

Memnoch - we're made of sterner stuff these days. 66 runs behind with 6 wickets in hand. Murawossisname turning it square.

Your boys are looking a bit low - do you think you've got a chance against us?

------------------