Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Finally dinged 70 yay!

After an eternity at 69 trying to grind enough honour to complete my S1 welfare epic set (so I wouldn't go into arena in greens), I got the 2nd last piece only to find out that S2 was now available as welfare epics as well!!

So I thought bugger it, I'm not going to spend another month grinding the 170K honour needed to get the Merc gladiator set, so I dinged. So what if I'm undergeared? Hopefully I'll get paired with other undergeared noob 70s in arena as well.

Anyway, here's my armory. Comments/suggestions for improvement? My AP is a bit low. Also I only have 211 resilience.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n&n=Scabandari

Last edited by Memnoch; 07-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Finally dinged 70 yay!

Check this website, it's one of the best site for rogues information. http://shadowpanther.net/

Are you into pvping or into raiding?

If pvping, nothing much I can say except to slug it out in BGs and grind those honors. Also try getting an arena mate and run arena.

Now outside of BGs and Arena. You'll probably want this http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33484 . You can get it by going into heroics dungeon and need at least 60 Badge of Justice to get it.

Your bracer's gem should be an AP gem instead of agility gem. Your glove should be enchanted with AP enchant instead of Agility enchant. Your head enchant should be the one from Cenarion Refuge (revered). Body armor should be 150 health instead of 10 stamina.

And ummm...engineering and leatherworking? Ouch! How much gold did you spend to level it up?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Check this website, it's one of the best site for rogues information. http://shadowpanther.net/

Are you into pvping or into raiding?

If pvping, nothing much I can say except to slug it out in BGs and grind those honors. Also try getting an arena mate and run arena.

Now outside of BGs and Arena. You'll probably want this http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33484 . You can get it by going into heroics dungeon and need at least 60 Badge of Justice to get it.

Your bracer's gem should be an AP gem instead of agility gem. Your glove should be enchanted with AP enchant instead of Agility enchant. Your head enchant should be the one from Cenarion Refuge (revered). Body armor should be 150 health instead of 10 stamina.

And ummm...engineering and leatherworking? Ouch! How much gold did you spend to level it up?
I've lived by Shadowpanther, I've chatted to the bloke who runs the website on WoW forums, he's a great bloke.

Why AP instead of Agi? On the WoW forums they have all sorts of calculations that show that 2AP = 1 AGI, and AGI helps your dodge as well. I thought Agil was always better than AP, all things being equal?

LW wasn't that expensive, but Engineering was really expensive.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

In pvp , get AP instead of agility because you aren't getting buff of other people. Ok so you might get buffs at start but once you die the buff will be gone iirc.

In raids, you want agility because you'll get buffs from other people.

LW aren't expensive? How much did you spend to get to that level you are in now? I remembered I spend 2800 gold to get blacksmithing to 260 skill without mining.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
In pvp , get AP instead of agility because you aren't getting buff of other people. Ok so you might get buffs at start but once you die the buff will be gone iirc.

In raids, you want agility because you'll get buffs from other people.

LW aren't expensive? How much did you spend to get to that level you are in now? I remembered I spend 2800 gold to get blacksmithing to 260 skill without mining.
I should say I had Skinning at 275 before I dropped it for Engineering. I don't think I spent anywhere near as much to get LW up to 275 than I did for Engineering (that was a bitch).

Old 07-29-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I've found at 70 the only problem I face is people have ridiculous amounts of health. 12k on a druid healer? bah! If I had that much health I reckon I would win 80-90% of fights. I still win a good deal now, and that's with blues and one epic sword.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Zink Whistlefly

Yay! Finally Congrats Memnoch!

I think you're gear is pretty damn good to be honest, considering you're a fresh 70. The difference between S1 and S2 is actually pretty minimal. S2->S3 was however a much larger improvement, as that introduces hit rating and armor penetration on PvP gear, both of which do godly things to your DPS (especially against cloth). Don't bust your balls getting honor S2 items if you have mostly S1, instead play some arena with a feral druid, frost mage, or discipline priest (or resto druid if you can find one that isn't taken!) - it doesn't matter if you do badly, you'll still get points, and you can purchase the S3 items without needing a specific rating (apart from weapons and shoulders of course) for a reduced price now S4 is here.

I personally would actually rather gem and enchant for agility rather than AP. Some theorycrafters think that the AP is best for pure DPS, but you sure do get more mileage out of agility as a stat. It gives you dodge, armor (although minimal), AP and crit, instead of just AP. The AP you gain from agility also benefits from 5/5 Deadliness (+10% AP), but more crucially, also from 5/5 Sinister Calling (+15% agility). This means that a 16 AP gem will give you 17.6 AP, and an equivalent 8 agility gem will give 10.12, so the gap isn't that large, then you get the extra dodge, crit etc.

Some things you could do:
  • Enchant chest with +15 resilience. In order to make Cheat Death worthwhile now, you need something like 430+ resilience to make it just about as good as it was pre nerf (430 is unrealistic as to achieve that you gimp your DPS)
  • The speed benefits from your boots enchant and your meta gem will not stack. You're better off enchanting your boots with Surefooted, or with +12 agility if you're strapped for cash
  • Get the S2 thrown weapon (less damage than the Whisper Knives (which are great in the meantime for the money they cost) but more survivability from stamina and resilience)
  • Get the AP based Battlemaster trinket (+80AP IIRC) for 30k honor
  • Get the S3 ring (Vindicators Band of Triumph). Shame there is now a rating requirement on the S4 ring, as the S2 "Veteran's" gear is now removed from the game. You could equip both
  • Consider the S2 chest and S2 helm once you have everything else sorted out
  • You can still get the S4 belt (no rating requirement) and S3 boots
  • Once you've replaced your PvE items your hit rating will suck, so enchant your head with the +16 HR +34 AP enchant from the Cenarion Expedition, boots with Surefooted (+10 HR) and put 8 HR gems in all your yellow sockets. That should get you to the magic 80 HR needed for PvP. There is nothing worse than missing your opener or a KS to screw up the fight
  • Dory's Embrace is indeed teh cloak to get for PvP. In the meantime you can get the S1 cloak still (Sergeant's Heavy Cape) for around 7k honor which is still fairly good
  • From a talent point of view, you may struggle to take down healers if they remove your poisons. Having 5/5 in Vile poisons gives your poisons a 40% chance to resist being dispelled, so consider moving a few talent points around for that. Always run around with wounding mainhand, crippling offhand.

Other than that, your rogue isn't very far behind mine, stats wise, when you consider I've been working on and off on his gear for about 6 months!
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink Whistlefly View Post
Yay! Finally Congrats Memnoch!

I think you're gear is pretty damn good to be honest, considering you're a fresh 70. The difference between S1 and S2 is actually pretty minimal. S2->S3 was however a much larger improvement, as that introduces hit rating and armor penetration on PvP gear, both of which do godly things to your DPS (especially against cloth). Don't bust your balls getting honor S2 items if you have mostly S1, instead play some arena with a feral druid, frost mage, or discipline priest (or resto druid if you can find one that isn't taken!) - it doesn't matter if you do badly, you'll still get points, and you can purchase the S3 items without needing a specific rating (apart from weapons and shoulders of course) for a reduced price now S4 is here.

I personally would actually rather gem and enchant for agility rather than AP. Some theorycrafters think that the AP is best for pure DPS, but you sure do get more mileage out of agility as a stat. It gives you dodge, armor (although minimal), AP and crit, instead of just AP. The AP you gain from agility also benefits from 5/5 Deadliness (+10% AP), but more crucially, also from 5/5 Sinister Calling (+15% agility). This means that a 16 AP gem will give you 17.6 AP, and an equivalent 8 agility gem will give 10.12, so the gap isn't that large, then you get the extra dodge, crit etc.

Some things you could do:
  • Enchant chest with +15 resilience. In order to make Cheat Death worthwhile now, you need something like 430+ resilience to make it just about as good as it was pre nerf (430 is unrealistic as to achieve that you gimp your DPS)
  • The speed benefits from your boots enchant and your meta gem will not stack. You're better off enchanting your boots with Surefooted, or with +12 agility if you're strapped for cash
  • Get the S2 thrown weapon (less damage than the Whisper Knives (which are great in the meantime for the money they cost) but more survivability from stamina and resilience)
  • Get the AP based Battlemaster trinket (+80AP IIRC) for 30k honor
  • Get the S3 ring (Vindicators Band of Triumph). Shame there is now a rating requirement on the S4 ring, as the S2 "Veteran's" gear is now removed from the game. You could equip both
  • Consider the S2 chest and S2 helm once you have everything else sorted out
  • You can still get the S4 belt (no rating requirement) and S3 boots
  • Once you've replaced your PvE items your hit rating will suck, so enchant your head with the +16 HR +34 AP enchant from the Cenarion Expedition, boots with Surefooted (+10 HR) and put 8 HR gems in all your yellow sockets. That should get you to the magic 80 HR needed for PvP. There is nothing worse than missing your opener or a KS to screw up the fight
  • Dory's Embrace is indeed teh cloak to get for PvP. In the meantime you can get the S1 cloak still (Sergeant's Heavy Cape) for around 7k honor which is still fairly good
  • From a talent point of view, you may struggle to take down healers if they remove your poisons. Having 5/5 in Vile poisons gives your poisons a 40% chance to resist being dispelled, so consider moving a few talent points around for that. Always run around with wounding mainhand, crippling offhand.
Other than that, your rogue isn't very far behind mine, stats wise, when you consider I've been working on and off on his gear for about 6 months!
Awesome mate. Link to your rogue? I can easily go for Vile Poisons. Also why Wounding instead of Deadly for MH?

Also, what are a good pair of boots? I don't want to have to enchant twice.

Can't believe they nerfed Cheat Death.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

The way I see it, deadly poison = you can't stun with gouge because of the DOT. You lose control, which to me is part of the joy of being a rogue - being in control.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivelliis View Post
The way I see it, deadly poison = you can't stun with gouge because of the DOT. You lose control, which to me is part of the joy of being a rogue - being in control.
Helps when you're fighting another rogue though, if you can lay some dots on him to keep him from vanishing.