Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2001, 12:43 AM   #1
BladeMaster

I am posting the Dragonslayer Kit here because it has nothing to do with BG2

Dragonslayer

Dragonslayers are fanatical enemies of all dragonkind, oftenas the result of some tragic incident in their past.

Role: The Dragonslayer is often a knight errant or a specialized mercenary; he is excellent as a lone NPC who may seek PC help for "the big one"

Secondary Skills: Riding

Weapon Proficiencies: Lance, crossbow, two-handed-sword or two-handed battle-axe, pike.

Nonweapon Proficiencies: Animal trainer, blacksmith, armorer, riding - land-based.

Equipment: Field plate armor, body shield, jousting shield, large warhorse or war pony.

Distinctive Appearance: Charred, scarred, and marred.

Special Benifits: Dragonslayers know their foe and gain benifits accordingly. Whenever attacking a dragon with a melee weapon, the dragonslayer's Strength and magical bonuses are doubled for both attack and damage rolls. These benifits apply only to to dragons in their true form, not to those who have assumed human or other shape.

Furthere more, their fanaticism makes it possible for dragonslayers to fight their foe on even terms. Dragonslayers can issue a mortal challenge to any dragon simply by bellowing their threats to the sky; the dragonslayer must fight alone for the challenge to work. Magic resistance provides the dragon with no protection; if it fails a saving throw vs. death magic, it must land and engage the dragonslayer on the ground. However, cowardly dragons may chose to fight their foes on home terrain; a dragon that fails its saving throw against a mortal challenge may still retreat to fight in its lair.

Finally, dragonslayers suffer less damage from a dragon's breath weapons, both because they can anticate the moment when a dragon chooses to use one and because they know the best countermeasures to avoid harm from each one (grounding, wetting clothes, holding one's breath, and so on). On a successful saving throw vs. dragon breath, dragonslayers suffer only one quarter damage. Even a failed result means only one half to these warriors.

Special Hindrances: Dragonslayers tend to have short lives, since they are often hunted by dragons whose eggs or young they destroyed. They are sometimes considered soldiers of ill omen, since when they fail, a dragon's wrath often falls on the nearest village or town. They suffer a -2 modifier to all reaction checks because of the air of gloomy, unbending fanaticism that surrounds them.

In addition, a dragonslayers' squires and companions are magically affected by the dragonslayer's aura. If they enter combat with the dragon at the dragonslayer's side, they suffer a -2 penalty to AC for the duration of the combat, as the dragon furiously seeks to knock them aside to concentrate on its primary foe - the dragonslayer. For this reason, most dragonslayers work alone.

A dragonslayer may never attack to subdue nor work with those who do. He is obliged to meet any attempt to do so with force. Showing mercy to a dragon under any circumstances results in the loss of all kit bonuses and makes the former dragonslayer an ordinary fighter again. Good-aligned dragons are an esception to this rule.

------------------
By Clanggedin. What does a Dwarf have to do to get a drink around here.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/evermeet

Old 06-14-2001, 02:28 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

That's pretty cool. Can you actually build those into BG2 customized? Forgive my ignorance, since I'm still just learning the game.

Old 06-14-2001, 02:30 AM   #3
BladeMaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
That's pretty cool. Can you actually build those into BG2 customized? Forgive my ignorance, since I'm still just learning the game.

I don't know. I have never tried to make a kit for BG2 yet.

------------------

Old 06-14-2001, 03:21 AM   #4
BladeMaster

There are also other Dragonslayer Kits.

There is the Traditional one that I posted for Fighters.

There is one for Rangers called Black Arrows.

There is one for Paladins called Georgians.

And there is one for Wizards and Priests called Dragon Lords.

When I have the time to type them out I will post each one.

------------------

Old 06-14-2001, 02:24 PM   #5
Aurican
Elminster

Hey Blademaster, nice dwarf! Good to know you finally found the right one.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?

http://angelfire.com/rpg/aurican
Old 06-14-2001, 02:37 PM   #6
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeMaster:
Dragonslayer

Dragonslayers are fanatical enemies of all dragonkind, oftenas the result of some tragic incident in their past.

Distinctive Appearance: Charred, scarred, and marred.

Special Hindrances: Dragonslayers tend to have short lives, since they are often hunted by dragons whose eggs or young they destroyed. They are sometimes considered soldiers of ill omen, since when they fail, a dragon's wrath often falls on the nearest village or town. They suffer a -2 modifier to all reaction checks because of the air of gloomy, unbending fanaticism that surrounds them.

WOW, this describes Perin PERFECTLY !!! He is a Ranger, with Dragons as his racial enemy. His family, and entire Wild ELf village was decimated by a Ancient Black. He vowed to kill 'em all in single combat.

A scarred, charred, and marred loner, he instills a feeling of unease in others who know his intent, for he has brought the Wyrm's attention to those around him.

NOW... tell me about the Black Arrows (Tolkien ref?)

------------------
Old 06-14-2001, 02:40 PM   #7
BladeMaster

Just typing up the Black Arrow Dragonslayer kit right now RudeDawg.

------------------

Old 06-14-2001, 03:06 PM   #8
Billikins the Bold
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeMaster:
There are also other Dragonslayer Kits.

There is the Traditional one that I posted for Fighters.

There is one for Rangers called Black Arrows.

There is one for Paladins called Georgians.

And there is one for Wizards and Priests called Dragon Lords.

When I have the time to type them out I will post each one.

Wow, Blademaster, sounds like you've got a real problem with dragons... does this stem from some child hood trauma: you know, Dragon wiping out your home village or something

------------------
Fear? I know not the meaning of the word. And you can keep that dictionary away from me!
Old 06-14-2001, 03:07 PM   #9
BladeMaster

Here is the Dragonslayer Kit for the Black Arrows.

Black Arrow

The black arrow believes that the best way to kill a dragon is from a distance. He is a master marksman, able to bring a dragon down with a well-placed shot.

Role: These archers wait for a dragon to come within bow-range, then shoot at its most vulnerable point.

Secondary Skills: Bowyer/fletcher.

Weapon Proficiencies: Bonus: one additional slot in a bow. Recommended: Specialization in a bow, plus normal proficiency in the Dragonslayer kit's melee weapons.

Nonweapon Proficiencies: Bonus: Bowyer. Recommended: Dragon lore, tracking.

Equipment: Long bow or heavy crossbow.

Distinctive Appearance: Like all rangers, black arrows travel light, typically wearing studded leather armor, an open faced helm, carrying a bow.

Special Benifits: A black arrow can make a called shot against a flying dragon's wing joints, forcing the dragon to glide and land, usually within a mile or two of the battlefield, upon a successful attack. The attack roll is made normally, without the usual called shot penalties, because of the black arrow's knowledge of dragon anatomy and his ability to track the wing during a glide or dive, rather than when the wing is moving. Sometimes, of course, injuring a wing brings an enraged dragon down in a sharp dive at the attacker.

Once per day, a black arrow may search for weakness while observing a dragon. If the black arrow passes an Intelligence ability check with a -3 penalty, he finds a weakness in the dragon's armor, some little crack or missing scale where an arrow or crossbow bolt can have maximum effect. If he finds one, all successful hits inflict double damage, including a doublingof his Strength bonus (magical and specialization bonuses are not doubled).

At 9th level, a black arrow can craft one arrow or bolt of dragon-slaying. Each time he gains a level thereafter, he can craft one more such arrow or bolt.

Special Hindrances: Black arrows spend so much time training with missile weapons that they suffer a -1 penalty to all attack rolls with hurled or melee weapons. Also, like most rangers, they rarely wear armor heavier than chain mail, as these interfere with their aim.

In addition, not every dragon has a weak spot. Some elder wyrms are plated literally inches deep in scales, gems, and metal. If the Intelligence check fails, the black arrow must attack normally.

Finally, a black arrow may never attack to subdue a dragon.

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 02:06 AM   #10
BladeMaster

Sorry I did not get around to posting the kits for the Paladin and Wizards & Priests but I was kept busy by her.

And the reason why there is no thief Dragonslayer kits is because. Thieves are not eligible for any of these kits for the simple reason that they are not concerned with the sort of honorable combat required of the dragonslayer.

[This message has been edited by BladeMaster (edited 06-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BladeMaster (edited 06-15-2001).]