Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-09-2001, 08:33 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

...Now thats an item that my sorcerer would like a lot...I´m currently saving money to buy the staff of arundel+2 or 3 I do not remember...
´ve read that the adv. mart and other shops are restoched ONCE during the game....WHEN does this happen?

DavidEddingsRules
Old 06-09-2001, 08:35 AM   #2
Gimmick
Dungeon Master

spoiler:
:
:
:
The adventurer's mart is restocked after you return from the underdark.
Old 06-09-2001, 08:44 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Spoiler
The staff of magi is in the south of bridge district, you need a rogue stone to enter the place.
Make sure you save before going in!

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 paladin of the order of the holy flame.
Old 06-09-2001, 09:43 AM   #4
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Now I see why I should save before entering....DAAAAAMN I´m toast...Isn´t there an effective way to stop them from casting timestop all the time...and does anyone have a good spoiler on the staff of magi...I mean how to kille all the mages in the room

DavidEddingsRules
Old 06-09-2001, 10:06 AM   #5
Desuma_Malevois

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparhawk:
Now I see why I should save before entering....DAAAAAMN I´m toast...Isn´t there an effective way to stop them from casting timestop all the time...and does anyone have a good spoiler on the staff of magi...I mean how to kille all the mages in the room

DavidEddingsRules
It's a difficult battle - many recommend waiting until chapter 6 before trying it. Download "Elmonster's Journal" from the Baldurdash site at http://members.home.net/mrkevvy/journal.html

In it he details how he took them on with only one mage and survived. There are some very good tips to be had there.

Old 06-09-2001, 04:53 PM   #6
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

I can tell you how to beat the twisted rune guys, and I did it with only 1 multi class character half elf, so you should be able to with your party.

SPOILER
/
/
/
/
/
/

This is how I beat them with my 1 character, take any hints from this battle to do it your way.

I used a scroll PROTECTION FROM UNDEAD and went into the Twisted rune house by using a roguestone.
I used a fighter/thief/mage. THe lich couldn't see me, so I just shot +2 arrows at him (or you can use +2 bolts, bullets, etc). Don't kill him, but get him down to almost dead. Quicksave at this point.
Now you need to wait until the Protection from undead spell wears off, you can't start the Major battle until the lich can see you and summon his friends. You can do other things until then. Maybe summon a few monsters for the lich to waste spells on. He can see them but not you. Summon a couple monsters (or genies, or beserkers, or spiders, etc), get him to waste some spells. Throw them 1 at a time at him.
Now, The lich is almost dead, you wasted a few of his spells, and you believe your protection from undead scroll will wear off soon (you can wait or if debug code is in, CTR-y I believe passes time ingame faster.)
Once the spell drops, the lich sees you , and summones the other Twisted rune inhabitants to fight you. THey are a beholder, a strong mage, a strong vampire, and a fighter (or thief), plus the lich. 5 total foes.
The lich teleports off the table into the small entrance room on the left. I ran in there after the lich and used ANOTHER protection from undead scroll. This keeps the vampire and lich from hurting me at all. SO I have to worry about 3 of the foes left, the beholder, the mage, and the warrior.
The warrior follows me into the room anyway, so I kill him. The beholder and mage are still in the main room, so Im safe for the time being, but I still need to kill them.
SO I powermyself up some (mirror image, strength potion), and I summoned another monster just outside my small room as a distraction. Once the monster starts to appear and the beholder targets it, I run out and attack the beholder while it is attacking my summoned monster. Beholder dies. That leaves the lich and the vampire(which can't see me) and the mage.
I got lucky, the vampire ran around the table towards my monsters (and me) and the lich was floating about there. I used Daystar to kill them both. And that only left the mage.
I used a PROTECTION FROM MAGIC scroll and went and killed the mage. Her (?) spells couldn't hurt me at all, SO I just chopped her up with my swords.

If you have a party of characters, try this. There are 2 rooms in the twisted rune house, a small entrance room, and a large room. Keep everyone as far away from the large room as possible.
Have one warrior or mage with +2 bolts or arrows to use PROTECTION FROM UNDEAD and go attack the lich until almost dead. You can't hit it with melee weapons yet, its out of range.
have a summoner summon a few monsters you can send out and let the lich waste some spells on them. It still won't move as long as you don't bring a party member close to it to initiate dialogue. Your PROTECTED member is there, but he can't start talking until his protection drops.
Wait until your spell goes down, then lich talks to you and gates in the rest of the enemy. The lich then teleports into the small entrance room, right by the rest of your party who is waiting to kill him using Daystar beam attack, rings of the RAM, etc. He is almost dead remember, he will die with just a little bit of damage.
You will have the Lich gone. Chances are the fighter will run in and chase your fleeing character (who you bring back to the small room with the rest of the group). He dies easy. If you are lucky, the vampire will chase you also and your party can kill him.
The beholder and the mage (and maybe the vampire) are still in the main room. If you bring a PROTECTION from magic scroll with you you don't have to worry about the mage, save her for last. If you have the Shield of balduran, this is a great time to kill that beholder. Run out, kill it, and then retreat back to safety. If the vampire is still out there, your other party members can attack that if you want.
The mage is strong, she can use 9th level spells like the lich, gates, death spells, etc. She will gate in a demon also. (i just stayed in the small room, the demon turned on her and they fought).

Well thats my idea. You might have others. I killed them all off with 1 character with just 1 reload and using a protection from undead scroll and a protection from magic scroll.
Take out the Lich, then the fighter, then the Beholder, then the Vampire, and finally the Mage (who is the farthest away from you)
Old 06-09-2001, 07:21 PM   #7
Tancred
White Dragon

How can the pit fiend turn against her? She has a Staff of the Magi. She is permanently protected from evil, isn't she?

I think they're messing with our minds. It's a conspiracy. In fact, I think I hear them coming to get me right now!

Tancred
Old 06-09-2001, 07:29 PM   #8
jabidas
Silver Dragon

The protection from evil on the staff is bugged. Cloud kill and magic protection shell are very useable here.

------------------
Old 06-09-2001, 08:27 PM   #9
Volourn
Manshoon

This is what i did, and it took only one reload. Do a full frontal assault. Simple, huh? It works too. The warrior is easy, and so is the beholder, and the vampire. The lich, and mage are tough due to all the protections they have on. Remember to cast monster summoning, and other spells as well. Carnage galore. I did it in ch.6. By this time my party was virtually unbeatable. Good luck in kicking some evil butt!
Old 06-09-2001, 08:30 PM   #10
Kerlyssa
Manshoon

Didn't kill these guys until the very end, so didn't notice the bugged protection from evil until the battle with our dear friend J. irenicus....bah.