Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2001, 02:12 PM   #1
todwest
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Called Activision today. Thet were clueless for the most part. There was one suggestion that made sense though. I have a Diamond Monster MX300 sound card. It turns out that there are NO DIRECTX 7 COMPATIBLE DRIVERS FOR THIS CARD (thanks S3). This could be the problem. What I would like to ask is: Anyone out there who is having the desktop crash problem, are your audio drivers DirectX 7 compatable? They way you find this out is; go to Program Files\DirectX\setup\.
Double click on DxDiag. Go to the tab that says sound. All the way over in the upper right-hand corner, a sound driver is listed. If it says 4.07.xxxx or higher it IS DirectX 7 compatable. If it says 4.06.xxxx or lower it is DirectX 6 compatable not DirectX 7. Is there anyone out there, who is having this problem, who has DirectX 7 compatable drivers? If so, then this solution is a Red Herring and should be ignored. Any feedback from the forlorn folks that Activision is TOTALLY IGNORING would be welcomed.

p.s. They told me that they know of the problem and that they are currently "compiling information". Maybe if they compile information for long enough, the game will drop off the map and they won't have to support it at all. I wonder how many months it will take. Good thing they don't make pace-makers.
todwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 02:41 PM   #2
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Not to dispair bud! They ARE FAST in fixing these things. Trust me. I DO NOT use Direct X 7.0 or the new patch released, but I have a Sound Blaster X-Gamer 5.1 Live! sound card. Funny though, the S90 by Diamond works with this game.

TRY THIS: Uninstall the game. DO NOT install Direct X 7.0 - try it. I didn't install it and the S90 card ran without a hitch! Same with my SB 5.1 X-Gamer.

Try it. If that doesn't work, keep on Activision for the patch. Actually Heuristic Park is writing all the patches and they are fast with the problems they're facing. Just keep a little faith - they'll get it to you.

Sincerely;
Druadic
Druadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 02:54 PM   #3
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

WAIT! I remember seeing a patch for that card. Let me look for it and I'll get back to you soon - if not tonight then tomorrow. Pray I find it again.

I'll look and look. Post a message here to get my attention and I'll run right back and check for one from you. I SWEAR I saw one. Hold on!!!

Druadic
Old 03-12-2001, 02:56 PM   #4
todwest
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Druadic, I did not install DirectX 7 at the time of installation, I never install it when prompted because I always have the current version. Right now it is DirectX 8.0a. I think you have missed my point. The drivers must be DirectX 7 compatible or over. Not the other way round. The problem may still lie in the sound drivers. Again does anyone who has DirectX 7 COMPATABLE sound drivers have the same problem? This is the question. I don't want to buy a new sound card but I will if it fixes the problem. (Monster Sound MX300 is a little old).
Old 03-12-2001, 03:04 PM   #5
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Try here:

http://www.vortexofsound.com/drivers/drv_m39x.htm

These are the LATEST drivers for ALL Aureal sound cards which INCLUDE the Diamond Monster 300. Read it carefully. I THOUGHT I saw this page before!

If this helps PLEASE post back here. If not, I can always keep looking

This is the drivers that control the "loss" of sounds and problems with the Aureal cards. Good luck bud!!!

Sincerely;
Druadic
Old 03-12-2001, 04:17 PM   #6
Balgin
Elminster

Druadic wrote "Actually Heuristic Park are writing all the patches", all the patches? As far as I know they've only made one, are there more? If so then I probably won't need them but it's nice to reassure other people who do that someone somewhere is dealing/ has dealt with their problem.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:32 PM   #7
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Each company that WROTE the game (HP) must write the patches. It's normal for this to happen. Actually, I've heard they wrote two as far as I know. They then combined them into the one that has been released.

I've been told that they are on the work of others at HP. So, I'm sure they're really busting their behinds to get this game working for everyone.

I have no problems like I said, even without Direct X 7.0 and the patch, but there are people out there with "certain" hardware issues and this matter IS BEING ADDRESSED. Trust me, it is

Druadic
Old 03-12-2001, 04:50 PM   #8
todwest
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Tried the suggestions about the driver updates from the Vortex website. Now the game crashes on the title screen. Is this a step forward or a step back? It may be an improvement, i.e. a new problem. I think I need a different sound card because there are nodrivers made fo the MX 300 that are DirectX 7.0 compatible. I was told by an Activision rep that the game has issues when running DirectX 6.0 or lower, and that ALL the drivers had to be DirectX 7.0 compatible or higher. I'm sure that this is erroneous seeing as there are many people who are running the game on DirectX 6.0. "We don't know how to fix it so we'll make something up. That'll keep 'em busy for a couple of days".
Old 03-12-2001, 05:02 PM   #9
todwest
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all your feedback Druadic. How long does it take to come up with a fix? I have seen messages, in ths forum, in regard to this problem, going all the way back to December. It has been over three months now. This should be more than sufficient time IF they have actually been working on it. Frankly, I'm skeptical.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:04 PM   #10
Hana
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well my sound driver is version 4.11.01.0711. I have a Sound Blaster Live Value card with DirectX 7.0a installed. I was crashing very irregularly at the beginning (without the patch) when I was creating my characters. No crashes after the patch. (I've just gotten to Ishad...)

I've been bitten so many times with game installs that I really prepped for this one. Ran scandisk and defrag and made sure I had a lot of extra space for virtual memory before installing.

Win98 SE
PIII 450
128 MB RAM
ATI Rage Fury Video with latest driver
Sound Blaster Live Value with latest driver
Hana is offline   Reply With Quote