Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-12-2000, 10:49 PM   #1
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Wow, there's another mouthful! Anyway, I've updated again with a poll asking what you think are the biggest issues with Wizards and Warriors that need to be patched. The choices in the poll are ones I've collected from people while surfing this site; I think the game is a lot of fun, but there are definitely areas for improvement. If you would like to have your voice heard, please cast a vote at
The Wizards and Warriors Story Archive

In addition, there is updated party information from Scronan (one of the site's contributing authors.)

If I do any more updates I'll try to condense them into just 1 thread, so as not to hog the board

Thanks for the time!
Old 11-13-2000, 03:47 AM   #2
xenotoca

what ????????
I cant vote for the most abysmall automap system I have ever seen. The overland is almost impossible to interperet (were is the blue water) whilst the dungeons are just unfathomable with no idea of what connects to what. (just wait until you get into the stout mines. No wonder those left down there have gone crazy.
Look at Daggerfall to see how the maps for the dungeons should have been done.

Some of the problems (multipule NPC conversations) are obviously a relic of when this was going to be multiplayer game.

Another annoying nags not on the poll
the crazy running around when trying to pick up an object.
not being able to see if anything is in the barrel you just smashed without doing a rain dance.
Ladders and those dam lifts for 5 my last party member is called Shorty now.
being attacked whilt entering a new area and trying to listen to the narrator / DM
5000 rusty swords and you still cannot identify them.

so why do we still keep playing.......because its just good enough to allow you to tolerate the annoyances but only just.

Old 11-13-2000, 04:06 AM   #3
Gaijin

True enough, there are plenty of things to gripe about. Now prepare for a very large but:

BUT

At the heart of every classic RPG out there is a compelling story and a rich character building system. W&W's got those in spades, so I'm in for the long haul (and hopefully a more polished sequel) no matter how many of those goofy dang Worguls pile up on my head while I'm trying to go up in the elevator. You know, now that I really think about it, most of the game's annoying little shortcomings are actually quite endearing. EXCEPT for the auto-mapping thing. (*grumbles*)

Old 11-13-2000, 02:31 PM   #4
alzagor

RE: auto-mapping.

Originally, Dave didn't want an automap at all. He wanted it to be the old pen n'paper technique. But, that obviously wouldn't have worked without a standard movement distance.

If I remember right, all Daggerfall did was load up a special viewer for the BSP/Level (which allowed you to zoom in and out all over). But what I don't recall is if it hide areas you hadn't discovered yet or not.

Having automaps only came into existance halfway through the game. So, a bitter man would say "Be lucky you have what you have!" If more thought was put into them, and more time was allotment for the feature, something more intuitive would have come about.

If you haven't realized it yet, Wizards had a sporadic development cycle (to put it nicely). I don't think Dave realized how much the general populous had grown over the past decade (and how rabid people can get on internet).

RE: Poll

I like it!
I did something simliar for Nox (people might not realize it, but HPI did *ALOT* of the graphics for Nox, but Westwood decided to only give out an "Addition Art by: HPI" instead of giving credit where credit was due to the individuals) [on a side note, Nox was far more dynamic in those early days before Westwood bought the rights to it... wish the original concept hit the shelves!]

RE: general bugs
Towards the end of the project cycle, I believe Dave was the only one earnestly working on the game, so one possible reason you see faults in the game is b/c you only had one guy playing it, in a certain style, and Activision beta testing was either too overwhelming or poorly executed or it became a simple lack of time (with Dave being the only programmer at HPI during that period, I'm more inclined to think the latter).

I haven't heard anything for the past week from HPI, so I'm not sure what's going on there! (Which isn't too odd, but I can only assume things I won't say based off my experiences working there.)

A Wizards & Warriors sequel would be phenomenal! Just think how the game would operate when rebuilt from the ground up!