Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Isn't this taking griefing a bit too far?

I know it happened a couple of months ago, but I only found out about it now.

Quote:
Internet griefers descended on an epilepsy support message board last weekend and used JavaScript code and flashing computer animation to trigger migraine headaches and seizures in some users.

The nonprofit Epilepsy Foundation, which runs the forum, briefly closed the site Sunday to purge the offending messages and to boost security.

"We are seeing people affected," says Ken Lowenberg, senior director of web and print publishing at the Epilepsy Foundation. "It's fortunately only a handful. It's possible that people are just not reporting yet -- people affected by it may not be coming back to the forum so fast."

The incident, possibly the first computer attack to inflict physical harm on the victims, began Saturday, March 22, when attackers used a script to post hundreds of messages embedded with flashing animated gifs.

The attackers turned to a more effective tactic on Sunday, injecting JavaScript into some posts that redirected users' browsers to a page with a more complex image designed to trigger seizures in both photosensitive and pattern-sensitive epileptics.

Circumstantial evidence suggests the attack was the work of members of Anonymous, an informal collective of griefers best known for their recent war on the Church of Scientology. The first flurry of posts on the epilepsy forum referenced the site EBaumsWorld, which is much hated by Anonymous. And forum members claim they found a message board thread -- since deleted -- planning the attack at 7chan.org, a group stronghold.

Epilepsy affects an estimated 50 million people worldwide, about 3 percent of whom are photosensitive, meaning flashing lights and colors can trigger seizures.

http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...08/03/epilepsy
I know griefers, who derive pleasure from pissing other people off at no risk to themselves, probably aren't the best people to be around in any case, but surely this is taking things too far?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Isn't this taking griefing a bit too far?

Wasn't this posted here awhile back? Honestly, I chuckled a bit even tho I know I shouldn't : -/
Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

Although it is shocking, and if you find them they should be punished, I agree with Spirit.

There is a slight humerous side to it...
Old 06-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Humorous?

Lavindathar would you find it humorous if I punched you in the face? No? I'm sure that those who have epilepsy triggered by the griefers would find no humor in being subjected to what is far far worse than being punched in the face: especially when logging into a forum meant to be for their support.

It's despicable, cowardly and evil to do such a thing considering it could even potentially kill the epileptic as well.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion

I agree with Yorick, this isn't in the least bit amusing. Seizures can cause permanent brain damage as well as indirect damage from falling or hitting their head during the seizure so to deliberately induce one is appalling. Especially because that was exactly what they were trying to do, it's not like they had some other purpose and an unforeseen consequence was that it induced seizures. And even if there wasn't such potential for harm, I don't understand finding humour in someone purposely harming someone else, for no reason other than entertainment. I, along with most people I imagine, have been amused by accidental misfortune to others ("man getting hit by football"?) or maybe (though I personally don't appreciate it) people doing stupid things to themselves like Jackass, but not to unconsenting others.

I wonder what sort of pleasure these people derive from doing this sort of thing anyway as they can't see the effects, if any, of their attempts to cause harm to people, apart from this sort of coverage or maybe people on websites that they target complaining.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Griefers are the kind of people that sit behind their PC, safe and protected, and go doing these idiotic things, but they would NEVER DARE do something/say the things to peoples faces. They are weak whoosies.

I'd love to meet whoever posted those flashing images. I'd flash some brass knuckles. heh...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

With Z, Aelia and Yorick

not funny and police should investigate this assault

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, whatever. I have a friend who is epileptic; she is 4'10", petite and when she has a seizure it takes 4 of us, including her 6'4" rugby-player husband, to stop her from hurting herself too badly during these episodes. After they are over it takes her a couple of hours to recover and she remains upset for days as she worries about worst-case scenarios.
There can be no reasonable justification for deliberately instigating an attack on her or others who suffer with the same condition. It is a deliberate assault; that makes it a crime.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

sad to say but attacks like these are really hard to track.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, Spirits and Lavindathar... I'm on the side that finds no humor in it. It's one thing to be playing juvenile pranks (which this really is), but it's another to intentionally inflict (or attempt to inflict) harm on others. It's really no different from making fun of someone with cerebral palsy because they walk differently, or making fun of someone with Down's syndrome because they look different.

The longer I go through life, the more important it is to be proud of my actions when I admit them to the guy in the mirror.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote