Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-14-2001, 09:50 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

If there are any chronic restarters that have "cured" their condition. Can you tell me how you did it? I'm starting to get sick of building a character, and then scrapping him halfway through the game. There was a thread on this a while back where a lot of people admitted to being chronic restarters. I've been working on a character to take though BG1 all the way to ToB. I've gone from a Mage->Wild Mage, to a dualed Ranger/Cleric, to a dualed Cleric/Mage, then Fighter/Thief, to a Fighter/Mage. Furthermore, to keep a more fluid storyline, I have Jah, Minsc, Khalid, Dyn, and Imoen as my party in BG1, to Jah, Vic, Minsc, and Imoen in BG2, so I'm limited into what fits into this party design.

Back to my original point, what's the cure for chronic restarter-itis?
Old 10-14-2001, 10:16 PM   #2
Debaser

the cure??

make a character that is so utterly badass that you won't WANT to restart. changing the stupid pre-made BGII portraits is really a big step in doing this (at least it has been for me).
Old 10-14-2001, 10:17 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

I tried that...my kensai-mage didn't even get out of the dungeon before I scrapped him.
Old 10-14-2001, 10:32 PM   #4
crimsonson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Build them like your girlfriend, boyfriend, spouse, althletic hero, dad, mom, etc... something with somekind of emotional attachement... I myself cant let go of a character built like my girl... just a thought..
Old 10-14-2001, 10:51 PM   #5
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

aye, emotional attachment is the key. i had played through bg1 and SoA countless times before i finally realized what i wanted to take into ToB, and that was the first character i had that finished bg1. he was the one i would constantly reload to fight battles if he died rather than cheating around it; all of his abilities and items were legit; and while his party's composition was less than ideal at times, he managed to lead them to success.

part of the problem with replaying a game is the player's omniscience about what is going to happen. this in turn makes us try to plan out way in advance what npc's we want, what items we need, etc. the unpredictability and spontenaiety of that first time through can never be duplicated.

my advice is take the character that is the most "you", or if you hate yourself, the character that is most "not-you". then forget everything you know about the game and try to play it like the naive little adventurer you were when you first left candlekeep.
Old 10-15-2001, 12:19 AM   #6
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

I've played the game six or seven times
and have only beaten the game once. I
decided that I would play again and finish
the game with a character to take to ToB.
I chose a class I have never considered
before, a Druid. I have no experience playing
a Druid or really a cleric for that matter, so
the game was fresh and a lot of fun. I am
almost ready to beat the game. I did all the
side quests first, and am tying up loose ends
before I finish the game and get to ToB.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:50 AM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i think its in the names. you have to both build and name them after your girl, hero, self, etc. in fact, i feel that the ONLY way i can concentrate on a game is if i name the main character after myself or Sephiroth! if i do any other, the game is usually scrapped before it gets halfway through Irenicus's speech...

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Shadow Dragon of the DotW
Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server and bumper of Cloudy's Cafe
Possessor of the Aerie Diamond Head from the ALSB.
Page in the Court of Lady Lioness

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-15-2001, 02:22 AM   #8
Blackwolf
Dungeon Master

I have actually found the cure for this problem.

I started a party where all six characters were created by me, ie no NPC`s, no Minsc, no Aerie, etc. This way I can fiddle around with six characters instead of just one, which means no more "I wonder what it`s like playing a Barbarian", etc.

I totally recommend it.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:11 AM   #9
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

first go to www.teambg.org and down load the experance cap remover for
BG 1 or BG II which ever one you are playing then unzip the contents of
the zip into C:\baldur\override directory for BG I.
and unzip into C:\baldur2\override for BG II.
Also download Gate Keeper and Shadow Keeper.
then make yourself a fighter/mage/thief and start a game then save.
then go into gate or shadow Keeper and give your character 3,000,000 experance points and $1,000,000.00 gold then play yourself a power Game you'll still
be able to level up in the game but you'll have a nice head start tripple the experance points for BG II SoA. Did you ever kill a dragon single handed
just tell the rest of your group to wait by the door while you kick some dragon BUTT it won't take long.
Also when your generating your character and you have put the cheat codes in
(see iron works Cheats section) Debug mode=1 or cheats=1 you can get Max Stats
buy pressing Ctrl+Shift+8 at the same time and your stats will be 18/00-18-18-18
18-18 to start or you can use The Keeper to make them 25-25-25-25-25-25 but
thats to easy this broke me of cronic restarters syndrum and I've now completed
BG I and tales of the Sword Coast 11 times---Shadows of AMN 19 times with over
50 starts---and BGII throne of Bhall 6 time as of this A.M. and today I tryed
the goody two shoes ending and I liked that better. so try this maybe it will
help you

------------------
The Blade Makes The Man
The Man Made The Blade
Death To All That Stand
In Their Way! BEWARE ALL!
Old 10-15-2001, 04:04 AM   #10
Norbane
Dungeon Master

if you ask me, doing all that crap doesn't keep the game fresh, it makes it too easy, and takes the challenge and intrigue out of the game.