Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
Jim
Quintesson

Never come across this before, but the "Charm Air Elemental (+2 to saving throw)" feature of this ring seems to charm everything (that is charmable), *without fail* - i.e allowing no saving throw at all! What's more, is that if I unequip the ring, and place it into a gem bag, and then take it back out and re-equip it, I can use its charm ability again - essentially providing unlimited, unresistable charm spells!

Has anyone else come across this? I'm fully patched up as usual.

EDIT: Argh! The same applies to the Improved Invisibility feature - this also gets "recharged" simply by being placed into a gem bag!

2nd EDIT: WTF! The recharging applies to *any* rings that are placed into my gem bag - Ring of Human Influence, Ring of Gaxx, etc....But the irresistable "Charm Anything" feature of the Ring of Air Control is still giving me the most annoyance!

[ 03-06-2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Jim ]
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

Er...argh? Isnt that a good thing? I think I know why it does this, in that gem bags are, in a technical sense, store files. Therefore, just like when you sell a wand to a store and buy it back with full charges, putting the ring in "sells" it, and taking it out buys it. This resets the charges. This is also my theory as to why there is no common bag for storing wands, as a wand with unlimited charges is rather unfair.
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Jim, you're a little behind [img]tongue.gif[/img] .
All three of the elemental rings can charm anything. Any rechargable item can be placed in a bag (gem bag, bag of holding) and be reused.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Jim
Quintesson

Jeepers where have I been!

In my years of playing I have never once noticed this (nor exploited it [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), not to mention the fact that I couldn't find any other threads based on this here (feel free to enlighten me if there are [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Brainless One, your logic makes sense, and if this is the case, then surely this would apply to wands placed into bags of holding?
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

No ignoring saving throws in my game. Ribald, the Amnish Guard, well, pretty much everyone in the store saved every time I used it on them. One thing I did notice was that the so called "Improved Invisibility" is completely bogus. Real Imp Invisibility gives you a +4 AC and Saving Throws bonus, but this cheap forgery gives neither.

As for recharging items by placing them in a bag, never worked for me either. Tried it with the Ring of Ram and Vhailor's Helm with my cleric once, but no luck. Not gonna complain about bugs I don't have though [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
Jeepers where have I been!

In my years of playing I have never once noticed this (nor exploited it [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), not to mention the fact that I couldn't find any other threads based on this here (feel free to enlighten me if there are [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Brainless One, your logic makes sense, and if this is the case, then surely this would apply to wands placed into bags of holding?
Brainless One's logic is definately wrong. It's probably a bug, because the cheese is endless this way. The patches don't fix it either, unfortunately. I hate when I put in my glasses of ID in the bag of holding, only to take it out and have 1 charge on it even after resting. I have to put it back in the bag 2 more times and take it back out just to get what I'm supposed to get from it.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:28 PM   #7
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

This is only my theory, I am not really sure. I would think this applies to wands also. I actually have no idea past my earlier conclusions, but I am positive that the bags are indeed a path to a store file, and that selling wands to a store will recharge them. Anyone know the exact answers, please reply here. Thanx
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:55 PM   #8
Hank Parsons
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
Brainless One's logic is definately wrong.
What did Brainless One say that was "wrong"?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:57 PM   #9
Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Parsons:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
Brainless One's logic is definately wrong.
What did Brainless One say that was "wrong"? [/QUOTE]His logic of it recharging b/c it's like selling it to a store is probably completely correct. Only thing is, it wasn't meant to be that way. At least, not with the bags. Other then that, yeah, I'd say the Brainless One is right.

[ 03-06-2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Lord ]

Old 03-07-2004, 04:30 AM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Yes, the containers (Bag of Holding, Gem Bag, Scroll Case, Potion Case, Ammo Belt) are all store files. Hence the old bug associated with CLUA'd or Shadowkeepered containers having 'common inventories': put an item in one, it appears in all of them. This is because if they are multiple incarnations of the same item, they act separately but look at the same store file - which is not duplicated.

[ 03-07-2004, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote