Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
This seems so simple so has probably been thought up before but I can't find any reference to it in threads/posts... What if you accidentally/purposely (depending on alignment) kill Yoshimo just before you fight Irenicus in Spellhold, then ressurect him after the fight. He would be dead during the 'leaving' speech, so it would never get triggered. Just be careful not to boot him while he's dead [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe there's some scripting or whatever that stops you from doing this?
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
Ares

huh, never heard of anyone trying that before..

I would assume he is still affected by the geas though.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I don't think that would work. I don't know if you've ever taken Yoshimo to Spellhold, but he's removed from the party well before you fight Irenicus - before he takes your soul and you're put in the maze by Bodhi.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I don't think that would work. I don't know if you've ever taken Yoshimo to Spellhold, but he's removed from the party well before you fight Irenicus - before he takes your soul and you're put in the maze by Bodhi.
Yes, but if he's dead, Irenicus won't talk to him, right? Although he might still be taken away

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Yes, I have played with him [img]smile.gif[/img] He might miss out some vital experience, but surely you can kill him before Spellhold?

[ 01-02-2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Old 01-02-2004, 06:06 PM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

From the 2nd Edition of the Great Big Pain in The Butt Shadows of Amn Trivia Quiz:

4. The best method of keeping Yoshimo (meaning, he loses the least amount of EXP) involves having him *in* the party, but *dead,* at the moment when Irenicus reveals himself in Spellhold.
[1 point, explain for +3]

Answer:
Quote:
False. If Yoshimo is in your party *AT ALL* when Irenicus shows up, he WILL be removed, even if he's dead. The best way to keep him is to Petrify him in Brynnlaw, and then Stone to Flesh him when you get back, allowing you to re-recruit him and feed him the EXP he earns in the Underdark. (This exploit may have been prevented by the BaldurDash Fixpack, however. I've yet to test it.) You can even Petrify Yoshimo while in Spellhold itself--and, if you fight Lonk the Sane and make it a prolonged battle, you might even be able to get Yoshimo back in the party before fighting Irenicus. Weird!
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Quote from Ares: I would assume he is still affected by the geas though.

The geas?
Old 01-02-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
Quote from Ares: I would assume he is still affected by the geas though.

The geas?
If you don't know about the geas, you either haven't played through to Chapter 4 with Yoshimo, or you haven't paid attention when you did - correct this problem, and you will understand perfectly.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:29 PM   #9
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Is geas a slang word used solely for BG2 or is it an official word because I have no idea what it means and it isn't in any dictionary... Sorry for my less than extensive vocab [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

MAJOR SPOILER!!! DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!
~
~
~
~
~
~
A geas, in SoA at least, is a very advanced domination spell. When you cast a geas on someone, you are free to do whatever up to a single point: the geas will kill you if you fight the orders of your master.

In Yoshimo's case, Irenicus put a geas on him to bring the protagonist to him. Yoshimo would die if he would refuse and thus had no choice in what to do. His other actions in the party, however, are his own, because he was still fulfilling as his master's commanded him to do.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote