Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Job searching and how it's gone so far...

My biggest lead as of today is to work as an alarm system installer. I hear it makes good money and there's no office time. It's just driving to your next install. The company is APX Alarms. I hear they're a growing company in this area and that installers have a pretty safe position. I even get a car. Do any of you US IWers have any comments on the matter?

Besides that, I was approached by Aflac to be a salesperson for them. That's 100% commission-based and has to deal with taking a lot of "no" answers to my offers. I don't think I'm made for that type of work.

The third lead is contract work in IT through a service called Tek Systems. They find IT-related work for people, whether contract, contract to hire, or direct placement. I put in with them last week but have heard nothing back yet. Maybe he's waiting on me to resubmit my resume after making the adjustments he recommended to me...I didn't think so before today...anyway he said that there were entry-level positions that lasted six months that would help me develop a place in IT and earn the much-needed hands-on experience. I'd probably start with a help desk spot.

Aside from those three, I have applications pending with the Sheriff's department for a tech-related job, Wake Forest Baptist hospital for an interpreter position, Goodwill for an HR bilingual position, Office Depot sales, Office Max sales , Merz IT spot, State Employees' Credit Union as a rep, BB&T as a rep, Wilco Hess for an IT spot, Godiva for sales, and Intrex Computers for sales.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Job searching and how it's gone so far...

Alarm system installing is hot and dirty work, be prepared for that. You will also have to do minor carpentry and drilling thru drywall (probably Chinese drywall) and you WILL have to go into attics and crawl spaces. Good Luck.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

Good Luck with the search, I feel I may be in the same boat in a couple of months....

You Can Not Hide
AngelofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

Good luck Larry

Just take any job offered IMO it becomes harder to get a job the longer you are out of work.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #5
gaijinalways
Dungeon Master

Larry,

Good luck with that. You've hit on one of the main reasons I don't return to the US yet, lack of well paid work for my skill set.

You seem to be very flexible in the types of work you have applied for; IT related, alarm installation, and sales. I agree with you, if you're not into trying to persuade reluctant prospects, then sales is probably not for you.

I am wondering, have you made separate resumes for each career type? If you haven't, I would suggest that you do so. The chance of taking temporary IT work to move into something better in the future may be good opportunity, assuming you can deal with insurance issues, etc in the mean time.

Hang in there,

GA
gaijinalways is offline   Reply With Quote