Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 05:17 PM   #51
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

The only place I've seen the term 'mongrel' is in Skywalker's post at GD, and I took it to his referring to himself as someone who didn't always fit into 'polite' society--seemingly doesn't fit in with the rest of IW. Since I also tend to not be as politically correct as a lot of others, I also used the term 'mongrel'. I think the major difference is that not 'fitting in' here really bothers him--it doesn't me since this is a wonderfully bubbling pot of humanity where everyone *is* different and thus the flavor is *sublime*. Truly that's what attracted me: all these many different individuals coming together to discuss everything from who won the soccer game to terrorism to their kids to absolute non-sensical tidbits![/B]
No, you're a bit off. I've talked to Mark after he decided to retire from the board. He didn't retire because he didn't share the same opinion as others but rather because he perceived that he was persecuted for his opinions (though it might not have been the case, I clearly see his point and where he got that feeling from). A subbled difference from just "thought that he didn't fit in".

That's why people have to be carefull about what they critize. There's a big difference between just criticizing an idea and implying a judgement on a person. If you imply, you're essentially attacking.

Mark saw judgements being implied in the posts of various people on this board who didn't share his views. That's why he left. Though the intend might have been different from the poster's point of view, it's how it's received that really matters.

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Old 10-23-2001, 05:26 PM   #52
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Garnet:
I missed that--don't read all the threads. But I don't think I've misinterpreted his (Skywalker's) usage too far off, have I? I certainly do *NOT* consider myself the type of 'mongrel' listed above!!! No, no, no!

I shall hereby terminate all affiliation with mongrels--I always was a cat person anyhow

Can anybody tell me why the counter on posts doesn't seem to be working properly? Whenever I post, the count seems to be duplicated.

Garnet

A cat person? Ooh, goody. And here I am a cat. What a co-incidence.... I hope we shall be friends, Garnet!! On your duplicating post thingy, it is working properly, - every time you post, the count on *all* your posts goes up. So all your posts will say whatever the current count is. (I asked that too, I remember.. that's how I know..... )

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-23-2001, 05:33 PM   #53
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Skywalker used that term because others have been using it, and not in the way you assume. Here is an example, taken from page 3 of the "international insults" thread:

Ziroc ! I have had a discussion last night with Clouddy and another with Yorick, and I'm starting to get real angry now. We are stalked by a few mongrels who snap at us and try to bully us for the sake of fighting. As far as I am concerned, no way this is going to happen in my IW !"

I think we need to be very careful how we read that post, Dio. Moiraine had very reasonable, well thought out posts both before and after it in that thread, so I don't think it is meant as an attack, even though Skywalker saw it that way initially. I think he is now just rather puzzled by it, as am I, and it is not fair to come to any conclusion about it until we have it clarified.

If Moiraine is about, or reads this later, maybe she will elucidate... Hey Moiraine?

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old 10-23-2001, 06:11 PM   #54
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
I think we need to be very careful how we read that post, Dio. Moiraine had very reasonable, well thought out posts both before and after it in that thread, so I don't think it is meant as an attack, even though Skywalker saw it that way initially. I think he is now just rather puzzled by it, as am I, and it is not fair to come to any conclusion about it until we have it clarified.

If Moiraine is about, or reads this later, maybe she will elucidate... Hey Moiraine?

Actually, I agree with you, Fljotsdale
Old 10-23-2001, 06:13 PM   #55
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Cloudy, let's continue our discussion by email or IM, okay? I suspect our positions on this are not so different as we are making them out to be.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:19 PM   #56
Garnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
A cat person? Ooh, goody. And here I am a cat. What a co-incidence.... I hope we shall be friends, Garnet!! On your duplicating post thingy, it is working properly, - every time you post, the count on *all* your posts goes up. So all your posts will say whatever the current count is. (I asked that too, I remember.. that's how I know..... )

::slaps forehead:: DUH!!!

Ok, some days I'm not the brightest light in the fixture.......

Garnet

Old 10-23-2001, 07:08 PM   #57
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by J.J.:
Cloudsylph, puh-leeze tell me you was not uffended by lil' ol me? I had my tongue so firmly planted in my cheek, I required the heimlich manuever from Super Wal-Mart Kitty to be able to breath again.
I must have missed the comments that were able to make you feel ruffled to the point of loosing your silver lining, but the point is that you DO know me better than that. *sniffle* poor, misunderstood me... im gonna have to leave the board now...at least until i get back from work, which i will have to stay longer now because i gave myself an executive lunch....i think i may require the assistaznce of a 12-step support group to limit my time here so i can go to work in the am and after lunch without getting on here and vaporizing work hours like asteroids....

You may just drive me to drink! LOL... I'd say behave but I just know you won't! haha.. it's the cable modem... luring you into high speed access! LOL

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-23-2001, 07:30 PM   #58
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Don't you think that general accusations about how this place is a "toilet boil" and repeated references to "troublemakers" who you merrily insult by innuendo is also inflammatory? Don't you think that is extremely insulting to those of us who happen to like to come here?

Repeatedly making vague references about such things, and then hiding behind a professed reluctance to insult people, is insulting in itself. Have the decency to put your money where your mouth is, instead of leaving any and everyone who happens to like to come here with the impression that you are talking about them.

I'm not going to comment on the tone here, Robert. But I will say this, if you haven't seen it yet, you are oblivious. Silver Cheetah noted it (about her own posts and graciously acknowleged it and her intention of not doing anymore), Ryanamur noted it Skywalker noted it, LadyZekke, Moiraine, Epona, Melusine, Yorick, Rikard, shall I go on? Are all these members irrational and insulting?

You just refuse to admit that if large numbers of people feel this way SOMETHING must be wrong. If I see smoke in my kitchen, I sure as heck grab the fire extinguisher!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-23-2001, 07:58 PM   #59
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I'm not going to comment on the tone here, Robert. But I will say this, if you haven't seen it yet, you are oblivious. Silver Cheetah noted it (about her own posts and graciously acknowleged it and her intention of not doing anymore), Ryanamur noted it Skywalker noted it, LadyZekke, Moiraine, Epona, Melusine, Yorick, Rikard, shall I go on? Are all these members irrational and insulting?

You just refuse to admit that if large numbers of people feel this way SOMETHING must be wrong. If I see smoke in my kitchen, I sure as heck grab the fire extinguisher!

Cloudy

Forget it, Cloudy. There is no point in trying to discuss this with you any more, since you seem determined to misconstrue what I am saying. What relationship your "answer" has to my post which you quoted is beyond me.
Old 10-23-2001, 07:59 PM   #60
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
You may just drive me to drink! LOL... I'd say behave but I just know you won't! haha.. it's the cable modem... luring you into high speed access! LOL

Cloudy

yesssss.....it is the lure.....the lure of highssssspeed.....accesssss....it issss...the cable....must cut the cable....

WoW, Cloudsylph, I cannot believe how this thread degenerated. Now I understand why you felt frusterated.....there is no pupose in responding to responses of a response.....as your official remote relaxation consultant, I recommend NOT replying. I see stuff all the time that makes me have to remember to pick up my chin and shut mouth.....and I simply do not respond to most of it.....lack of time and patience, + the textbook defn. of insanity from the D.S.M., V.III (issue in use when I had abnormal psych waaaaayyy back when)
....insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results......
let me run into this phone booth over here...*rustle, rustle*
TA-DAA! it's Captain Cliche, here to save the day! TA-DAA!
..Don't try to teach swine how to sing. It annoys the swine and wastes your time.......You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink(unless you cut off it's head and shove a hose down it's neck).....you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...if you can't say anything nice about a poster, say nothing at all....oops, Captian Cliche just slipped and hurt his head, he's going to go lurk and get some nyquil to get rid of this darn cold.....

------------------
Amanda's Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official Pin-Up Girl Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.
Closed Thread