Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Old 06-29-2006, 12:24 AM   #31
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Deiter shook his head at what she had said. "I understand you've changed. I can only imagine what you've gone through these years. I've changed as well, but it doesn't make a difference to me Chani." He wanted her to understand so badly.

"Do I mean so little to you now that you won't even give me the chance to spend time with you?" He commented quietly as he turned his gaze away. "I know you want to get away from here. Will you let me accompany you to your destination at least? If... if you still feel the same about my company then I will respect that and leave." Deiter was unable to look at her, so lost was he in the possibility that she really would send him away.
Deiter Leafblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #32
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sighing, she dragged her feet to the nearest tavern and seated herself in an inconspicuous spot. The beer arrived surprisingly fast, and she nodded her approval at the bartender who retreated discreetly.

Let’s try to recap what we already know so far. Searching her pockets, she extracted a faded parchment, scanning the words she must have read at least a dozen times already:

Dear Mother,

If my memory serves me well, it has been some 26 years since our estrangement. This one-sided conversation wears upon me and I wonder if it has the same effect on you. Surely you would agree that it is time for us to move on and not let the mistakes of the errant-minded guide the rest of our lives.

I write with an exceptionally heavy heart tonight. Because, Mother, I think my days are numbered. You may scoff at my suspicions, but I would willingly swear that I have been stalked since a week ago. By whom, I naturally have some ideas… yet without proof, I hesitate to point fingers at this moment. The most critical task I must perform while I am alive is to find Mistral… that lost child of mine.

I can already hear your triumphant laugh, Mother, for was it not you who urged me to keep her to my side, when Eilonwy passed away giving birth to her? Would that I had listened to your words, for now I find that I have much to tell her and no certainty of doing so. And of course, that heirloom – much as I abhore the sight of it – is rightfully hers, and she shall decide how it should be dealt with.

What an uncharacteristically long letter from me, Mother. It might well be my last, for I set off for Athklata at dawn tomorrow. I have news that Mistral was last sighted there, and I intend to reclaim my poor daughter, make up for the trials she has had to undergo in my absence.

If anything untoward happens to me, Mistral as the heir of the Freelight family will naturally inherit my possessions. But be rest assured that I have arranged for an annuity to be paid to your goodself, that you and my niece may live comfortably for the rest of your lives.

Yours respectfully and with best wishes for your health,
Your son
Aragorn F.

What a generous uncle you have. Pursing her lips wryly, she folded the letter and placed it securely back into the pocket. Then, as an afterthought, she took out another parchment, less faded but more precious to her and read the shakily written words:

Be useful… One-Eyed Wolf Tavern, if you can...

Already, she had ascertained from her casual conversations with some of the patrons that a war had broken out in Athklata four years ago because of a wingless elf named Aerie. The Kentucky Fried Avariel restaurant (or K.F.A., in short), which had set out serving her bodily parts, had been attacked by loving followers of the avariel from the Holy Temple of Aerie. The restaurant was subsequently razed to the ground by an extremely powerful but insane character, before being rebuilt into the current One-Eyed Wolf tavern. The owner, an eccentric half-elf named Chani Ravenwood, was dangerously unpredictable with mood swings and one generally kept out of her way if one wanted to preserve one’s safety.

Well, the figure she had observed charging out of the tavern earlier certainly fit the description. Yet…

Why would Grandma have scribbled those last words? It troubled her even now, that a matriarch would have struggled to get these words out in her last dying moments.

Carefully, she kept her prized possession and took another sip of beer.
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:05 AM   #33
mistral4543

That had been four years ago. An agonising moment, an unbearable split. But on hindsight now, one of the most courageous and commendable acts she had taken in those years.

What about regret? Sure, she had experienced a few - no, more than a few - bouts of that. But at the end of the day... regret is not something one cannot live with. The years had taught her that as she remained in seclusion, Isabeau keeping her company until the last few months. And regret is a far better condition than humiliation. All these flowed through her mind, as she continued on her regular strolls along the graveyard.

Perhaps one day, she might find a reason to leave this paradise. But not now certainly, and not in the near future...

OOC: Mistral is henceforth out of the picture in this story, until such time when I find inspiration/justifications for bringing her back.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:20 AM   #34
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

It had been four years since the night Arrakis had received the blade that dangled from his hip. Four years he had had only one element of purpose in his life. He knew somewhere in the world Mistral finally had peace, and somewhere else in the world a new soul would someday be brought into chaos. He was nothing but a state of limbo, a conduit between the destiny of two souls.

For four years he had sought the next in line to inherit the sword, with the blade itself being his only compass. In his quest he lost all semblance of a life. He did not need respite or companionship. His only desire, his only driving force, was to find the blade's place. And now it had lead him to what seemed the most unlikely of places. The city of Athkatla, the capital of Amn.

With every word Deiter said the more Chani felt she had betrayed him. The thought of redemption seemed so far away. Of course he saw nothing to forgive. He didn't know. He didn't know anything. He just wanted to come home to his lady love. He didn't know she hadn't been staring into every sunset waiting for his return. Could she pretend that she had, for his sake?

Maybe his suggestion was worth a shot. She needed to get away from here. Where was she even going, though? Ravenwood? Why? A place with so much history certainly wouldn't help her start afresh. She needed someplace new. Far away from anywhere she'd ever called home.

Looking Deiter straight in the eyes she said plainly, "Get me out of here."

[ 06-30-2006, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Killing Spree ]
Killing Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:55 AM   #35
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Deiter managed a weak smile as relief filled him. She would allow him to be with her. ...for now. He quickly dismissed any negative thoughts and looked down the street. "We should get your things and supplies together before we leave." He was about to turn for the tavern when his scimitar brushed against his leg. Glancing at it, he pulled the blade out and showed it to her. "Do you still have yours as well?"

Relics of the past seemed to be the last thing he needed to ask her at the moment, but he was curious. Their blades were a pair, another piece that connected them. What if she lost it? or had it stolen? or didn't have it anymore for some various reason? Would it matter? He watched her reflection in the blade and realized it didn't. Their swords was not the binding glue that held him to her, it was his love for her. Deiter could only hope that she would return it again someday.

[ 06-30-2006, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: Deiter Leafblade ]
Old 06-30-2006, 03:38 AM   #36
mistral4543

Be useful… One-Eyed Wolf tavern, if you can.

However she turned the words in her head, she could feel no assurance that her interpretations had been the right ones. Did Grandma generally want me to be a useful person? That much, she had tried to achieve thus far, since leaving their home. The latest adventure involving Rehan and Jared was just one of the many assignments she had taken, hoping fervently that her grandmother could witness her attempts with a little degree of comfort, from the heavens above. But what was this about the One-Eyed Wolf tavern?

While her gaze idly strayed to the other patrons, she ransacked her brain for some plausible reasons behind this odd instruction. Was Grandma a major stakeholder in the tavern, and worried that it would collapse from financial ruin? Before that sentence could reach a conclusion in her head, a caustic laugh had bubbled from her guts and threatened to erupt from her twitching lips. Neither the looks nor mannerisms of that half-elf would have suited Grandma’s taste. No, it had to be some other reason. Her forehead wrinkled as she called back the last image of her lifeless grandparent, each hand clutching the different parchments she had perused just moments ago. Perhaps the letters were related…

Could it be that Grandma had received fresh news of Uncle, or Mistral? She swallowed another gulp of beer as she pondered over this prospect. Perhaps they had recently been sighted at the tavern, and Grandma believed them to be in trouble... If so, then it was all too late. It had been so many months - a year even, perhaps - since Grandma's death and she had procastinated this course of action for one reason or another. Grandma probably wanted me to check the place out, and find out if they were still safe and unharmed... The more she reflected on this, the greater the likelihood that she had gotten as close to the truth as she could hope for, under the circumstances.

Exasperatedly, she swigged another mouthful of ale before shoving the mug aside and making her way to the counter. “Great stuff, this.” Burping slightly, she drawled. "Knocks some sense into you, it does."

Dragging her feet out into the streets, she found herself listlessly retracing her steps towards that blasted tavern whose proprietor had abandoned ship.

No promises, Grandma. No promises. You saw that she left, didn’t you? I wouldn't expect much from enquiries there, really… you'll just have to forgive me if I let you down... Half-grumbling, half-grinning, she headed back towards the One-Eyed Wolf.

[ 06-30-2006, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #37
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Chani couldn't hold back a wince as Deiter pulled the gleaming scimitar forward. This was one of many subjects she had hoped to avoid. Her eyes cast shamefully at the ground, she muttered, "No. No, I do not have my sword anymore." She offered no further explanation, just an uncomfortable glance in the direction of the tavern as she began to walk back to it.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:40 AM   #38
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

She doesn't have it anymore? Curiosity spread through the half-elf as he caught up with her. "Why is that?" Deiter tried to think of all the possible reasons why she no longer had the blade, but all the outcomes seemed unlikely. He knew in the end it didn't matter, but it was odd to him that her half of their pair was gone.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:53 AM   #39
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Chani stared directly forward, intent on remaining cryptic on this subject. "I... Didn't want it anymore."

Meanwhile her mind drifted to the truth of the matter. Memory was something she had not often indulged in since she'd been rid of her sword. Truthfully she could not remember the circumstances that had lead her to her course of action, as she could remember very little of the past four years but abstract concepts of toil and apathy. Though certain she knew where the sword was, she was not sure she would ever make the journey to reclaim it.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:10 AM   #40
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Deiter's eyes studied the ground beneath them as they continued their way to the tavern. Of all the possible reasons for her sword to be gone, he certainly wasn't expecting that. "I see." Was all he could manage as they soon approached the tavern. Deiter left her to gather any personal belongings as they went inside. Here he was, once again in the only place he had been able to call home since he was a child, only to leave it again in a matter of minutes. The feeling was bitter sweet as he made his way through out the tavern, collecting things they would need on their journey to no apparent destination. Satisfied with what he gathered, he sat down in a chair by the window and looked up at the ceiling while he waited for her. His eyes soon found the boarded up hole he had made with his foot while trying to repair the roof. He shook his head ruefully.