Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-27-2005, 01:28 AM   #21
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Klutz:
I always thought Valygar picked Golems because they are creations/servants of Mages, which is what he would really prefer his racial enemy to be (based on family history).
That's what I always thought as well.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:40 AM   #22
Western Paladin
Dungeon Master

If you want continuity with the first Baldur's Gate, it'd be Ogres or Hobgoblins. Demonic / Fell is a solid choice, and Sahuagin and Kuo-Toa are good from a flavor point of view.

"We saved the world. I say we party." -- Buffy
Western Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:35 AM   #23
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Duagloth Duskryn:
quote:
Originally posted by White Lancer:

My other choice is Dragons. Yes i know i have more fingers than dragons to slay, but they are such tough foes that the extra +to hit and damage is greatly appreciated.
Dragons? mhm...

You know that there are less dragons in the game than you`ve got fingers?^^
the Dragons are such heavy enemies, i dont think this little bonus will help you a lot...
[/QUOTE]Yes, i realise there are very few dragons, and was stating such in my first message... but my opinion remains the same. Dragons would make good use of the bonus, if you've ever tried to shoot a dragon with anything other than your spells, you'd know that they are difficult to hit. The +4 bonus is going to help you with them alot more than it would with Liches/vampires. As Six said, if you can hit the liches, they're pretty much dead, and as long as you are immune to level drain vampires are pathetic.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:38 AM   #24
Xzirox
Manshoon

I tend to chos Mind Flayer, they can get extremely dangerous in groups.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #25
GoblinZ
Dungeon Master

I tend to slice and dice my not-so-smart mind flayer opponents with my chaotically commanded, heavily armored warriors with a few skeleton warriors taking point... O_o
All you need is a good AC...

Quote:
Dundee Slaytern
quote:
ShaddowKatMKII:
I have to go with Vampires as well...

A Cleric Ranger with the Amulet of Power and Vamps as the racial enemy can allow you to send in the character alone and immune to level drain and the bonus... just a walk in the park, Kuzanski...
If you have the Amulet of Power, and a Harmony Shield, you won't need the benefits of having the Vampires as your Racial Enemy.[/QUOTE]And with an Undead hunter kitted paladin you´ll need none of those... O_O

I´m telling ya people, paladins > rangers.
GoblinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #26
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by GoblinZ:
I´m telling ya people, paladins > rangers.
Well, that would be fine, if the question was "what's the best class?" Since the question was "what do you guys pick as a favored enemy?", well...
Old 07-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #27
GoblinZ
Dungeon Master

C'mon, i'm a member of the UPRE (United Paladin Recruitment Effort), it's my job to advertise.
GoblinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #28
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
What creatures are considered Faeries???
As far as I can tell, just Nymphs, Dryads, and that lot. There was a Hamadryad and four Sirines (more if you had ToSC) in BG1 that you could fight, and in BG2 there's....the Dryads in Irenicus's dungeon, and the Faerie Queen (and the Sirines she summons), and maybe a Nymph or two in ToB. So we're talkin' serious combat gains, here.

The creatures that you choose as your Racial Enemy do not recieve any bonuses against you, you simply take a Reaction penalty in your conversations with them (which I doubt is even implemented in the game). For example, if you chose Dragons, you would recieve a -4 THAC0 bonus to hit the Dragon, but also a -4 penalty to your ability to be polite and nice to the Dragon.

For Valygar, either Golem or Lich would make sense as his Racial Enemy. Perhaps he chose Golem before he found out that he would need Lich.

For Minsc, having him choose Vampire (and have proficiency in Mace) is an obvious nod from the powergamers at BioWare to keep Minsc in your team as you side against Bodhi. Sad, really. I've Shadowkeepered him back to his BG1 version, with Racial Enemy: Gnoll and points in 2-Handed Sword, Long Bow, and Axe.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:28 PM   #29
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I know in 3rd edition rules you choose more racial enemies at certain levels... What about 2nd edition rules? If they're the same way, it's justifiable to do that to Minsc (whose racial enemy has historically related to the plot). If it's only 3rd edition, well... They lifted the Sorcerer from 3rd edition, so what's one more borrowed rule?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #30
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Nope, favored enemy doesnt work like in 3ed. besides, this isnt 2ed we're playing, its 2.5ed [img]tongue.gif[/img]
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote