Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Re: Deciding which game to get...

Currently playing Diablo3 Beta - and I can say with conviction in my little voice - Wauw!

But tbh I think Skyrim will shatter it - Skyrim will be the game of the decade I think.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Bah, they said that about Oblivion and I thought it sucked. Nice graphics, horrid gameplay. First-person hacker/spellcaster just doesn't work in fantasy RPG's for me.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Wow, so many games to try, I don't know where to start

Thanks for all the help, guys
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
Currently playing Diablo3 Beta - and I can say with conviction in my little voice - Wauw!

But tbh I think Skyrim will shatter it - Skyrim will be the game of the decade I think.
You got diablo 3 beta? Me envy you.

I was actually hoping blizz will go like "oh my! This guy got a super old computer, let's give him a beta key and see whether he can play the game."
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Bah, they said that about Oblivion and I thought it sucked. Nice graphics, horrid gameplay. First-person hacker/spellcaster just doesn't work in fantasy RPG's for me.
I disagree, I thought the gameplay was good. I disliked how they dumbed it down in certain areas though(less weapons/skills, less spell types, etc), and the world was less interesting than Morrowind on a whole.

Skyrim might break the bank, but from the trailers I got the feeling they dumbed it down even further(e.g. "one handed weapons" and "two handed weapons", which is basically the same as having "sword" and "blunt" as the only categories. I hope I am wrong in this). Dual wielding is a welcome addition IF it works. Dual casting I am a bit skeptical about, but it might make magic more interesting.

Also not sure how I feel about making dragons "normal monsters", as appears to be the case based on trailers. As boss type monsters, it would be fine and well, but if they pop up every now and then while running through the wilderness, they obviously aren't challenging enough to be considered "epic" monsters..oh well, wait and see I suppose.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin Majere View Post
I disagree, I thought the gameplay was good. I disliked how they dumbed it down in certain areas though(less weapons/skills, less spell types, etc), and the world was less interesting than Morrowind on a whole.

Skyrim might break the bank, but from the trailers I got the feeling they dumbed it down even further(e.g. "one handed weapons" and "two handed weapons", which is basically the same as having "sword" and "blunt" as the only categories. I hope I am wrong in this). Dual wielding is a welcome addition IF it works. Dual casting I am a bit skeptical about, but it might make magic more interesting.

Also not sure how I feel about making dragons "normal monsters", as appears to be the case based on trailers. As boss type monsters, it would be fine and well, but if they pop up every now and then while running through the wilderness, they obviously aren't challenging enough to be considered "epic" monsters..oh well, wait and see I suppose.

If you take a step back you will see, that since Morrowind, Bethesda have just looked at innovation in other games and plagiarised them for the next Elder scrolls game. Hence Skyrim uses the horse mechanics from Two Worlds, the bow and combat mechanics from Oblivion mods, the crafting/food cooking from Gothic and the dumbing down of Dragon Age and the Dragons of Dragon Age and Witcher 2!

Elder Scrolls games have become "generic", "by the book" cRPG's that have little in the way of innovation. I think that's why The Witcher 1 and 2 have garnered so much attention, and the only "non AD&D" cRPG, Drakensang has sold millions of copies in Europe.

Risen 2, with it's pirate world and voodoo magic, due out at the end of the year, seems much more innovative. Innovation only comes out of Europe now, so over the next year my main interests are The Witcher 2 expansion, Risen 2, STALKER 2 and other European titles. The U.S. market is too "safe" now, and excluding mods, I am sure Skyrim's gameplay will be very "Oblivionish"! Yes, it will look different and have a different story, but in the playing of it, it will be very similar. I don't have that worry for STALKER 2 or Witcher 3!
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Re: Deciding which game to get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin Majere View Post

IDK. They dumbed Oblivion down big-time, yeah. But with both Morrowind and Oblivion I just never liked the idea of running backwards like a lunatic just to get a spell off. The melee was twitchy too. And I shouldn't say 1st person combat doesn't work with fantasy RPG's...I just felt it doesn't work with these. A turn-based system for example, would allow spellcasters and melee to be equal. As a caster in Elder Scrolls, I found myself doing more retreating than casting. Simply not fun. Nice to look at, tons of content, but clumsy combat system. Even the archer classes are so-so. Games like Thief did that well.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #18
uk_john
Dungeon Master

I would advise people look for he Dark Eye: Drakensang,it's an old fashioned party based, pausable realtime cRPG. It's non AD&D, so it's very interesting, like slippery items, that when thrown, cause a chance for the enemy slipping over It has lot's of "innovations" for those that have only played AD&D type cRPG's!
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote