Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Herbology question

Last year, I set out a feverfew plant. It is an herb that has nothing to do with lowering fevers, as it's name is just a screw-up of it's latin origin. What it has been known to help with is headaches of various types, and even modern studies have shown it helps prevent migraines if chewed daily. I have friends that benefit from it, but I mainly got it for my wife as we read online that some studies are showing that it's anti-inflammatory properties can keep her gall bladder stones from inflaming and requirng surgery, supposedely even purging the gall bladder of those stones if taken with olive oil and apple cider. It is actually working! Nasty, I hear...but effective.

Okay, enough of the introduction as to why I chose to add this herb to my garden. Here's my question. I was amazed to see it stay green and not wither up like all the other herbs in the garden did during the winter. Everything except the rosemary of course. It's an evergreen bush. It's suppose to be hardy during the winter. But feverfew? And now that the weather is warming up and the sun is out, it's responding by no longer drooping, but reaching for the sky just like a fresh plant! Its very same leaves that survived the winter is now active again, and I cannot find anything in any of my books that mention that this thing should last through the winter. How is this possible?

Last edited by Larry_OHF; 02-15-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Re: Herbology question

Well, Plants for a Future says it's a perennial, and this Wiki article on perrenials says some perennials are evergreens that retain their foliage year-round. Looks like you've got one.

When I saw this thread I was expecting a trivia question about the WKRP in Cincinnatti sales manager...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for the link. I never read anything before about perennials sometimes are evergreens, even if they're not in the sense of what I expected "evergreen" to be (meaning the tree version, ie. pine trees). That's intriguing!

And I'm glad to be old enough to pick up on that WKRP reference. Lol!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

What flasks can you make with it?