Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Default Serious Computer 'Halp' Please...

Something has gone wrong during a Windows Laptop reformat, and it won't move off 0%. This worries me. Am I right in thinking that aborting this manually mid-reformat will cause some serious ****ery-uppery?

Bah. Getting worried here.

Right, i'm guessing that this isn't working. 0% is not a good omen. Is there any way around shite like this or am I going to need new hardware? If this needs hardware fixing, would a new hardrive sort it out with windows installed on it?

I'm shite at hardware.

On the boot up it takes me to the options of safe mode etc., all of them take me too a good ol' blue screen crash.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Serious Computer Halp Please...

Good shi... I mean manure, how you been!?
..other than your issue, of course. I missed ya'!

I assume you're just leaving it sit there, or have you tried a reboot?
..think the HDD is shot?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

HD may be shot, happens more often than people think. If a reformat fails indefinately, then most things point to a fried HD.

Did you use it alot? At this point, dont be afraid to abort and retry. Anything that can work is good, as you'd be in business if it allows a reformat. If you do manage to get it working backup all your shit asap and pray it doesn't die.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

By "Laptop reformat", I assume you've essentially wiped the hard drive and are starting from scratch, correct?

If so, then this MS Kbase entry should help a lot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

Page down to the section titled "How to partition and format the hard disk using the Windows XP Setup program"

Basically, you process the install as a brand-new drive. That includes formatting (and ergo wiping) the drive to start from scratch.

If you're trying to actually salvage something from this machine, post back. There are other options for that before you have to give it the big flushy.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I've been good thanks all. Just fighting with technology now!

I'll try that link thanks Bungleau. I've done some basic partitioning and deleting etc. but the actual formatting wont go past 0%. How much am I looking at for a new internal HD to be fitted and bought etc? I have no idea. Don't really wanna spend because it's my girlfriends laptop, I'm just trying to fix it for manpoints and sexy time kudos....

Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Oh, that stuff!

I would think in terms of used HDD if it's for a laptop, since they cost a lot more. Hopefully this is fixable though.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You were doing well on a new HDD until you said laptop... they're *not* as interchangeable as they are on desktops.

Hmmm... since it's a laptop, there's a *chance* that there might be a "factory default" restore available. That would, if it works, put the hard drive back to its original state. What brand laptop is it?

Basically, you'll need to go a step before formatting, to partitioning. You need to scrap the thing and start it from scratch. That will let you create the partitions on the hard drive, which will then let you format them.

A full Windows install *should* let you do that... but it's been a while since I've paid attention while doing one, so I don't remember the details.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
You were doing well on a new HDD until you said laptop... they're *not* as interchangeable as they are on desktops.

Hmmm... since it's a laptop, there's a *chance* that there might be a "factory default" restore available. That would, if it works, put the hard drive back to its original state. What brand laptop is it?

Basically, you'll need to go a step before formatting, to partitioning. You need to scrap the thing and start it from scratch. That will let you create the partitions on the hard drive, which will then let you format them.

A full Windows install *should* let you do that... but it's been a while since I've paid attention while doing one, so I don't remember the details.
I've deleted the existing partition, and created a new one. The quick partition works, until coming to boot, then it says theres a hard drive error and won't load. A full proper format sits on 0% and will not do anything. Think the HDD is dead indeed, as it simply refuses to format, no matter what. Bit worried how difficult it'll be to swap them over. It's a Toshiba Pentium M. Bugger. Surely some one on here is the expert
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 AM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Serious Computer 'Halp' Please...

If you have it, I would put an anti-virus disc in the drive and see if it finds anything.

Is it TDC that works for Norton?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumanoir View Post
I've deleted the existing partition, and created a new one. The quick partition works, until coming to boot, then it says theres a hard drive error and won't load. A full proper format sits on 0% and will not do anything. Think the HDD is dead indeed, as it simply refuses to format, no matter what. Bit worried how difficult it'll be to swap them over. It's a Toshiba Pentium M. Bugger. Surely some one on here is the expert
Well, if it absolutely refuses to format, then the system is either detecting the drive as damaged and thus, unformat-able, or the less likely causes, where there is a problem with the power supply, or bus etc. I would usually go for the first option, and try a new drive in there. If that doesn't work then your issue is more annoying. A fried hard drive would be one of the easier replacements for a laptop. Process of elimination, I guess.

Your only lifeline would be if your system has a backup partition, with diagnostic software that can check drive health. My desktop has one, for example. To find out, you'd wanna do some research online or in your manual. Usually it's as simple as hitting a key when you start it up.

Ebay or online sites are your best bet for finding matches to your laptop and getting ballpark prices, but other than some basic troubleshooting i'd have to be there in person to try every single test. I have always found that getting tech help for anything other than the basic PC stuff online, is like diagnosing a patient over the phone - it's all about luck. The internet is your best mate atm for info. see if people have had similiar issues with this system. Don't discount any tech. support provided by your manufacturer, as they may know one or two built-in tricks that are unique to your system setup (for example, the XPS laptops have their own troubleshooting hotkeys in the bios), that could determine what it is in a matter of minutes.

Good luck!