Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Default Aliens? Mothman? Weird happenings?

Alright, so for the past couple of weeks I've been infatuated by this subject of things that seem improbable, but people claim to have seen. You know, aliens, yeti, loch ness, Mothman, La chupacabra etc.

So Now the question is , do you guys believe in anything as such? Have you ever experience anything like that? (if yes, what?) Do you believe in alien existence?

And before any skeptics start attacking, the duckbilled platypus was thought to be an "improbable" animal, much like the tapir- so if those can exist why not others?

Discuss
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Aliens? Mothman? Weird happenings?

Aliens, yes. The galaxy, hell the universe, is too big for just us.

Yeti, yes at one time at least.

Loch ness monster. Maybe at one time something akin to the rumors existed but I don't think it's there anymore if it ever was.

Mothman, dunno, first i've heard of it.

La chupacabra, I think was that coyote-like dog thingy we saw in the news video a while back and rumors ensued about it years before.

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 10-12-2008 at 06:47 PM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think there's too much of that sort of thing to discount all of them. I like watching those shows and in many cases I think; these people have nothing to gain by making this stuff up.

I'm sure most of you have heard about the UFO crash off the coast of Nova Scotia here. It's pretty interesting stuff.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Not sure really.

UFO's well, depend on how you define UFO. Taken literally, UFO is an unidentified flying object, so they exist. Lot's of things flying around that are unidentified. Are they extraterrestrial? Not so sure about that one.

I think the issue is less whether they do exist and more how much actual evidence ("eye-witness" testimonies not withstanding)

I just find it interesting that when people see these creatures they somehow forget how to use the focus on their cameras. I've only seen fuzzy pictures alleging to be of the creatures in question. Doesn't make it impossible, but it doesn't help the case at all.

As for E.T. life in the universe. By their best findings, (from the last time I read anything on the subject, our little pocket of the universe is the most conducive to life as we know it. Could their be life that can survive where we can't? Possibly, but would they be able to survive in our atmosphere so we could find out?

Just a few of my not quite cohesive thoughts.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post

As for E.T. life in the universe. By their best findings, (from the last time I read anything on the subject, our little pocket of the universe is the most conducive to life as we know it. Could their be life that can survive where we can't? Possibly, but would they be able to survive in our atmosphere so we could find out?
Interesting. We don't know for sure so all we can go on is logical assumptions. My logic leads me to think that there is indeed life that can survive where we cannot, because it already exists in our ecosystem (i.e. fish living in water). I don't find it an unreasonable stretch to assume that there are different lifeforms that can exist in lets say, gaseous envrironments. Plus, the fact that we live in one galaxy among many, with our closest being Andromeda (which may have within it, earth-like planets), I just cannot rule out the fact that there is a strong possibility of life elsewhere.

At this time there is no sufficient evidence to support alien life, but people forget that at this time there is also insuffiecient data to rule it out. Our probes take years to reach pluto, our communications are limited to short range "human" frequencies. So far, the farthest that man has travelled into space is to the moon that oribits our planet. So I don't really understand people who say "they don't believe" when they should really be saying "I don't know yet".
Old 10-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

I believe that there's life on other planets somewhere in the universe, though I won't commit to their level of technology or sentience in any way. Maybe not Grays, but sure, why not alien life?

I've seen...things (not aliens)...which I've been told by several people I should probably not try to dwell on too much. Seems like sound advice to me.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

I'll let you in on a secret, the Loch Ness Monster does not exist. Its basically like jury duty, once every couple of years a 'pure blood' is selected via the electoral register to don a costume and go for a swim. It was originally a plan concocted by the Scottish Tourist Board that got a little out of hand...

As for alien existence I find it very difficult to ignore, there is definately life out there somewhere - even if it is without intelligence I think we should focus on making friends.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think the conservative estimate for life on other planets, just in our galaxy is 230,000.

No to get religious, but I don't know how I feel about it from that point of view. The Bible just says He created the heavens and the Earth. I wouldn't say that that rules out life on other planets.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Woah, 230,000?

Where is that from?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Practical guide to the universe.

Narrated by Tom Selleck.