Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 07-31-2008, 04:54 AM   #51
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Default Re: What book are you reading?

I am currently reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy - esentially because I found out that Bethesda has cited it as one of the main influences on the plot for Fallout 3.

Must say that I'm not particularly impressed with it - the sentence structure is often stunted and the gritty realism and sense of desperation is often lost in the repetition of dull, insipid dialogue. There are moments of lucid, vivid description - but not quite as much as I was hoping for.

However, the relationship it portrays between a father and son over the course of their journey in a post-apocalyptic America is strongly carried throughout - I just don't see how it relates to the Fallout world at all other than its similar setting and smaller aspects of its atmosphere.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 07-31-2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: bad grammar
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #52
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have finished The Fires of Heaven (Book 5 Wheel of Time). Wow! Was as good or better than the last which I didn't think possible. So many surprises toward the end of this one. What to read next, book six or start another series for a break?
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #53
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion

I just finished reading "Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman", an autobiography by Richard Feynman. A very fascinating but extremely odd person!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #54
pritchke

I am now starting a new series of four books for a break from the Wheel of Time.

The first book id: <b>His Majesty's Dragon</b>.

Not sure what it is about yet but starts off at the end of a battle between to ships. Muskets and swords are the choice of weapons and the French are on the losing end. Good Start!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #55
pritchke

<b>His Majesty's Dragon</b>: This book is like a parallel world set during the Napoleonic Wars. Only difference is there is an air force that is made up of Dragons and there riders. The first chapter was mainly about the British capturing a French vessel that contained a Dragon egg, which than hatched into a rare Black Dragon (Temeraire). It has been pretty cool thus far apparently the entire series is based and said black Dragon. I like the concept of parallel worlds like this one that are familiar to us but has something unique.

It is now a series of 5 books:
Temeraire Series

Last edited by pritchke; 08-14-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #56
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal" at the moment.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #57
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I think I read Going Postal a while back. I've always enjoyed Terry Pratchett's work.

Just finished a "biography", if you will, about the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island up in the northern parts of Michigan. It truly is a grand hotel, and was the setting for the Christopher Reeve film Somewhere in Time. Ah, for the days when a room was $7 a night... including meals...

I've got Murder of a King on the list next... an account of the murder of some historical robber baron-type guy in Michigan from last century (or maybe the one before). Don't know if it will be any good or not... yet...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #58
Stratos
Vampire

I'm reading Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil by Hannah Arendt.

Just finished reading The Trial by Franz Kafka.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #59
pritchke

Just finished reading <b>His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire)</b>. WoW this was a great book a little short but it was refreshing, in that the concept seems new, more like several ideas combined into one fantastic book. Now it is on to book 2 in this series. <b>Throne of Jade</b>

NOTE: The author Naomi Novik was a developer on Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide for all those NWN fans.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #60
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: What book are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchke View Post
Just finished reading <b>His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire)</b>. WoW this was a great book a little short but it was refreshing, in that the concept seems new, more like several ideas combined into one fantastic book. Now it is on to book 2 in this series. <b>Throne of Jade</b>

NOTE: The author Naomi Novik was a developer on Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide for all those NWN fans.
Oh yeah I read the three first ones of that series. I think they're up to 5 now. I thought they were ok but there wasn't enough happening in them. I don't know if I'll finish the series.