Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Re: Looks like Australia is #$#ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelia Jusa View Post
Sever, the Greens went really well. I think they will have about 5-6 senators so that is quite good. Their primary vote was about 8% I think.

So Costello is not going to contest the leadership. I am not surprised, and I say good on him for having enough self-respect so tell them to go jump. He has been dicked around on the leadership for way too long. Who will be opposition leader do you guys think? Abbott is probably a bit on the nose at the moment, maybe Nelson or Turnbull?
The greens vote would have been massively higher but I think labour stole many of the 'green left' vote. I still cant believe the Labor party won the primary vote in Queensland. Joh Bjelke-Petersen would turn in his grave!

mmmm who to choose for the liberals, Nelson is a dark horse but I believe he once joined the labor party which could be a problem. Tony Abbott is a grub, and I'm afraid Julia Gillard just chews him up every time they debate. In fact I am surprised she did not thank him in her speech for being the best help to the labor victory during the election campaign.

Does not leave much to choose from does it ....

I will think about it. :d

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #12
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

I'm not very fammiliar with politics.. at all. But from the sounds of it, i have the perception of Kevin as a 'Flanders' and John Howard as 'Mr Burns'.

/runs 400 billion miles away from politics and government

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #13
Trogdor
Manshoon

Well I apologise for my initial post, I’m not normally the kind of person who judges without evidence.
In fact, I have had a complete turn around and have decided to keep an open mind about the changes that will come, I still don't like the unions (Just like communism, they are good in theory, but when they are run by morons/greedy a$$holes they don't work)

I guess the change was inevitable, a large amount of the voters just wanted change and have no idea what to expect (Could be good, could be bad, its been too long since labour was in to judge the current party)

Oh well, I guess we will just see how it pans out!

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:27 AM   #14
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Looking Around Re: Looks like Australia is #$#ed

Quote:
Sever, the Greens went really well. I think they will have about 5-6 senators so that is quite good. Their primary vote was about 8% I think.
Speaking of minor parties.. what ever happened to the democrats? They appear to be targeting a 'younger' demographic... but they did not get any media attention at all this election. Are they still recovering from Natasha Stott Despoja's resignation? I also just found out that she won't be looking to extend her role as a senator... massive loss, if you ask me.

Quote:
So Costello is not going to contest the leadership. I am not surprised, and I say good on him for having enough self-respect so tell them to go jump. He has been dicked around on the leadership for way too long. Who will be opposition leader do you guys think? Abbott is probably a bit on the nose at the moment, maybe Nelson or Turnbull?
I'm hoping Joe Hockey goes for the top job. I know he is workplace relations and employment minister (i.e. co-founder of Workchoices reform with Costello and Howard)... but I find him very charismatic, and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Down to Earth, etc. Or maybe he's just good at acting like an average Joe citizen... Hahahah! (Sorry.. couldn't help myself... although I stick by him as the best choice for the new opposition leader).
Dave_the_quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:44 AM   #15
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_the_quack View Post
I'm hoping Joe Hockey goes for the top job. I know he is workplace relations and employment minister (i.e. co-founder of Workchoices reform with Costello and Howard)... but I find him very charismatic, and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Down to Earth, etc. Or maybe he's just good at acting like an average Joe citizen... Hahahah! (Sorry.. couldn't help myself... although I stick by him as the best choice for the new opposition leader).
Yes, I really like Joe Hockey. Ever since he told the story about how he was driving on Sydney Harbour Bridge and saw a kitten and stopped to pick it up to save it from the traffic I've had a soft spot for him. He and Costello actually were the two Howard ministers I didn't loathe. I think he would be considered a bit young though (he's like 32 or something?). I think it would be good as Costello said to have a generational change, getting Abbott or even Nelson would be stupid I think as it was their stale ideas and yes man-ing that lost them the election. Most pundits are saying they will probably lose the next election too so it would be better to look towards the future. Julie Bishop maybe also?

I know, the Democrats will be completely gone when the senate changes in July. Far from keeping the bastards honest, more like keep themselves relevant.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:07 AM   #16
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Joe did that? Wow. I can just imagine the irate people behind him honking incessantly... but good on him. Like you say - he's much younger than most leaders. I think this is part of why I like him. I'm young, I want someone with ideas about my future, not the generation above mine. We need to start moving forward, dramatically. I only hope Rudd delivers, and even he (20 something years younger than Howard) is still too old to be in touch with my generation. Of course, this is my own personal opinion... take it with a grain of salt.

Julie Bishop? Hrmm.. don't know much about her. I'm only starting to dabble in Politics, so much to learn!

Oh - and a LOL @ the Democrats new slogan...
Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm totally out of touch here in Boston. What caused Lil Johnny to get owned?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 AM   #18
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Hey Mem!

Johnny boy?

He's been PM for 11.5 years.
Workchoices seems so unpopular.
No ratifying Kyoto (targets, etc)
Not staying full term.

Just... too old. That's my view, anyway.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I really like Joe Hockey. Ever since he told the story about how he was driving on Sydney Harbour Bridge and saw a kitten and stopped to pick it up to save it from the traffic I've had a soft spot for him. He and Costello actually were the two Howard ministers I didn't loathe. I think he would be considered a bit young though (he's like 32 or something?). I think it would be good as Costello said to have a generational change, getting Abbott or even Nelson would be stupid I think as it was their stale ideas and yes man-ing that lost them the election. Most pundits are saying they will probably lose the next election too so it would be better to look towards the future. Julie Bishop maybe also?

I know, the Democrats will be completely gone when the senate changes in July. Far from keeping the bastards honest, more like keep themselves relevant.
Actually, he's 42. But still young by political standards.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
I'm totally out of touch here in Boston. What caused Lil Johnny to get owned?
fantastic cartoon in The Times this morning:

Skippy is laying down the law to Howard, finger pointing etc

Skippy: Tut-Tut!
Howard: What's the matter Skippy?
Skippy: Tut-Tut! (Pulls a card from his pouch with "Iraq" on it.) Tut-Tut, Tut-Tut, Tut-Tut TUT-TUT (Pulls further cards from the pouch "Climate Change", "Kyoto - Sign here" "Any new ideas?"
Howard: Nah! I don't geddit Skip, what are you trying to say mate?

Skippy lands a knock out punch with Rudd appearing from the pouch.
Lanesra is offline   Reply With Quote