Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Windows backup doesn't.

As usual, Bungleau offers some of the most useful advice.

Keeping your important documentation in one place so it's easier to backup is not only easy, but incredibly smart.

I've also followed his "install folder" idea, but instead I've always kept and windows recovery CD-R (now a DVD-R) with most of my indispensable software, patches, and drivers off the net, so even if I lose the entire disk I'll still have everything at my fingertips.

One thing to remember is that Windows XP (and presumably Vista) wonn't work, generally speaking, if you back it up.

(*Exact* images, such as those made by Ghost, would probably work)
Old 06-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #12
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

First of all, I would like to clarify a small issue that no-one else mentioned. If I'm understanding what you are typing, you will *not* get a 100% copy. For instance you boot to that drive and tell it to re-create system. That *will not* happen. Just in case you have your hopes up on that. Just one of those MS things!

However, there are many ways to .iso your entire HDD to a DVD-RW-R or external HDD. BUT, it is not easy, nor is restoring it easy. Just another annoyance from the OS out of Redmond.

However, what you can so is as 'B' suggested. Make yourself a couple folders, and place all of your stuff that life will never be the same without in those folders and make a set point for backup. Set points for me are, I have not put anything in there lately, no need. Or, wow, I just put in the tax backups, and the daughter elements latest hoopla, it needs to be backed up type of schedule.

In the not to distant past the price for a HDD was about $1.00 to the gig. However today, the price for external HDD is roughly $.50 to 1.00, with a moderate $.25 per gig coupled with faster speeds for internal carriages.

Brands are as always a personal preference and we all have our own. However, I would like to point out one thing here. It the near past the forums traveling bard ran into much difficulty with a particular brand, and I remember the havoc that ensued. So, I will sya this, LaCie is a well known brand, however, it has lost respect over the most recent past.

Over the years I have become a firm 'newegg' shopper. Here is a link to their external HDD page. Wow.
http://e3wwwtest.newegg.com/Store/Su...al-Hard-Drives

The reason folks are using the external HDD is two fold.
1. It does not always need to be under power or load, and therefore not subjected to daily use.
2. From above, this eliminates it from being affected by MSs long arm of destruction should a total castrophe happen to the system. I have experienced losing a secondary back-up HDD from a total system crash. However the data was recoverable, just not easy!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I do this with my NWN's module, when I'm actually working on it:

I back it up to CD/DVD about once a week. If you have a rewriteable supported system, with rewriteable CD/DVD's, this is a very cost effective system. Which reminds me, that is what I was supposed to add to the gaming rig, since it has been forced into service in other areas as well.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Get an external HDD. Get Symantec's "Ghost" program. Follow the directions.

Ghost will make an exact, functioning duplicate of your HDD. This is the way to back up, IMO.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I do it the same way Bungleau does. Have a partition for my important documents, that gets backed up reguralry, rather than making an image of the whole HD. I find it much less hassle to spend 4 hours to simply reformat and reinstall everything should the need arise rather than hoping your restored image works properly.

btw, it might be a good idea not to keep your back up disc next to the PC. Better in a different room altogether.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #16
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
Windows backup doesn't.
Doesn't what? Back up everything? Or work at all? I've never had to reload data from a backup before... so if it doesn't work... I might need to change my back up methods [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Though I do have all important documents on two computers anyway.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #17
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Elf is correct, there are ways to copy your hard drive completely.

Ghost will do the job (Ghost 9 is the easiest version I have ever used) but as T-D-C said, backup exec is perfect, and probably exactly what you need

However, certain versions of Windows Vista can also do everything you want as well, but I'm not sure if you have it.

Also, it never really hurts to get a decent sized external hard drive, you never know what else you mihgt want to store on there
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #18
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Windows backup often fails to restore properly. Maybe it's improved, but I've found it's best to go third party.

As I've mentioned, trying to backup an entire system under windows is a crapshoot, anyways.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #19
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
winzip and a 100 pack of diskettes

No, but seriously, when installing windows( not sure about recent editions like vista) it prompts you to make a boot disk. This is a good idea as some CD drives cannot boot from, and even cannot be read until drivers are loaded.
Sadly, windows as I know it (XP) didn't have the foresight to include the CD drivers on the boot disk, so you might need that on a disk, too.

SilentThief
Old 06-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #20
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hmm, in recent weeks, just prior to getting this rig, I did 5 installs of XP, 3 on my PC, and two for people that needed help with it, and I never had a problem with CDRom drivers.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote