Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #31
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I haven't installed any new hardware, so I guess something old has broken. I think I'll take it somewhere. Time to make this someone elses problem.

To take part in the OS conversation, I don't find Linux hard. And I don't understand why others do. Really, in what way is Linux difficult or complicated to use?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #32
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Greasel:
I haven't installed any new hardware, so I guess something old has broken. I think I'll take it somewhere. Time to make this someone elses problem.

To take part in the OS conversation, I don't find Linux hard. And I don't understand why others do. Really, in what way is Linux difficult or complicated to use?
What exactly is happening now?

Do you have the Linux based program, "QT Parted" or at least the .iso? If not get it from: http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/

Can you boot to this disk? You can access the options menu and conduct a plethora of hardware testing.

Can you access your BIOS at least?
If so, look at your hardware menu, and write down your CPU & case Temps. Also, jot down your reported PSU voltages. 3.3 - 5 and 12V.

Then do a check of your HDD, and have it set for auto detect. Finally, reset your BIOS/CMOS options to basic/safe/default, whichever is the mildest setting. Attempt to boot, and we can work it from there.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #33
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

If the power supply is on the blink, and not delivering stable power to all the components, I believe it can cause the northbridge or hard disk to corrupt some files, which could be causing the errors you get. If you can test the system with a new power supply then so much the better.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #34
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Problem solved! Sort of, anyway. The computer stopped booting altogether and the repair person took it away. 'Twas the hard drive.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #35
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

LOL! Sorry, IG, but that really made me laugh...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #36
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Yeap, that will cause the malfunctions you described.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 AM   #37
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I should probably contemplate buying a new power source as well. I think the current one is really struggling with the added load of the new hard drive.