Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-18-2001, 04:39 AM   #141
Link
Jack Burton

Hello everyone.. have been very busy with school, last day now, so i can start with the game again. What i need most is quests! Minor ones, if you please Legolas, as i have got a lot of big ones.
BTW: what do you think of this. The game will consist of two parts: a (rather short) single player part, and a huge multiplayer part. This would allow me to create an enormous world, and thus a very large game. What do you think???

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 06-18-2001, 04:50 AM   #142
Melusine
Dracolisk

I'd rather do it the other way round, as MP isn't an option for a lot of people, and it is often difficult to find good players. Just think what everybody is saying about BG2: the thing they like most is the replayability. So if you are going to put a lot of space to a good use, I'd say try to make each major quest have multiple possibilities/endings. I think most people would eappreciate that more than just a little bit of single-playing and then on to MP. It would mean that if you cannot or don't want to multiplay, the game hardly has anything to offer.
Just my 2c anyway.
I could try and think up some minor quests if you like, but could you perhaps email me a summary of what you've got so far (people, environmant, monsters etc.)

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-18-2001, 06:36 AM   #143
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Thats what Ive been saying for a while now. Make it like a tree where if you change one thing BAM youve got a whole new game. Impossible to play the game exactly the same way twice.

Link I am waiting on your summury too, also, as well.

Email me if you cant find me on msn.

Hope ya did well on your maths test

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2001, 07:24 AM   #144
Link
Jack Burton

Will do guys. I've finished fifth grade now (hopefully!!! ). As for the multiplayer: my problem is, that i've drawn a huge map, well, ok, not that huge, but i made it huge by drawing a relative small part of the map pretty big. I like it that way, so i won't change that. I know from gaming experience that no one likes to be busy with one game for years, because that's boring, except if you create a brilliant story line. Comments on that one are most welcome.
I'll also try to scan the map i've drawn, and place it on the net. Dunno if it will work, so keep those thumbs (paws, whatever Hoggie!!!) crossed!!!

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 06-19-2001, 10:27 AM   #145
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Finished 5th grade at the age of 17???? WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!! We are in the midst of TRUE GENIUS!!!!!!

NO!!!!Super genuis!!!!!

NO!!!! a Demi-God!!!!!

anyway Fink (Link... whatever lol) you need to write a great storyline in order to make a great game. Keep after it and dont give up!!! You can do it I know ya can!!!!

Send me the scan of them map when you get a chance Id love to see it

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2001, 02:29 PM   #146
Link
Jack Burton

Ok..OK.. i mean at high school Hoggie.. and indeed i am a demi-god!!

------------------
Old 06-20-2001, 06:22 AM   #147
Legolas the Elven Archer

You had me thinking this topic was dead
It's good to hear you have finished school for some time so you can work on the game. (I just finished the fifth grade too )
I have to agree with the others, a large single player part would be better than a large multi player part, but I was wondering why you can't keep both about the same size. Surely the storylines won't be that different?
As for the smaller quests, (What is your definition of a small quest? Quests that don't have a direct effect on the storyline or quests that don't take longer than thirty minutes to complete?) they could be anything from doing someones dishes to singing to helping people who've lost friends and relatives to a creature in a cave. The exact type of quest is mostly determined by the surroundings and the beings in the area, so you'll have to give someting away about the storyline here. I'll see if I can help.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-24-2001, 07:51 AM   #148
Link
Jack Burton

OK. Wow.. I'm still busy, even in a vacation!!!! BTW: Legolas: fifth grade ( i found out later) means a grade at primary school... Doesn't matter, we know what we mean, don't we!!

Here's a list of quests i have made up for now:

- The Time machine
The Forgotten Ones once created a Stone; the Stone of Eternal Time. It was a flashing red stone, which was said to hold the power to bend time, and allow a certain number of people travel through time. Alas, the Stone was lost, due to a devestating battle between a vicious Goblin tribe and the Forgotten Ones. The battle forced the Forgotten Ones to abandon their Stronghold anbd leave the Stone behind. Not willing to let the Stone fall in the wrong hands, they combined their magical strength and summoned a Guardian which was to guard the Stone forever. The Goblin Tribe invaded the Stronghold, in search for mystical treasures, but were never to be seen again.
Nowadays, the great inventor Ulmys Trejakk is in search for the Stone in order to activate his Time Machine. He has left his house in Maratak, in the Dwarven Kingdom some time ago to find the Stronghold of the Forgotten Ones.
QUESTS:
* Find the Stronghold and Ulmys Trejakk
* Find the Stone of Eternal Time
* Defeat the Monster that was Summoned by the Forgotten Ones
* Help activating the Time Machine
* Travel through time
* Find a way back to "normal time"
* Destroy the Time Machine

- Spider Raid at Torsu
Spiders are attacking the Dwarven City of Torsu. Has it something to do with the ancient Spider's Bane?
- Jo'mun; Isle of Silence
Jo'mun, an island in the east, is a sacred island. It was said that the One God appeared on that particilar island to create life in the Halfworld. If the profecies are to believed, he will return there, adn therefore there is an absolute silence on the island, so the Order of the One God can hear of his arrival immediately. A dragon recently appeared on the isle, and he's disturbing the silence, which has to be stopped.
- Lord of Illusions
In the Elven Capital of Cashtar, a mystical man has arrived, known only as the Lord of Illusions. Since his arrival people have disappeared.
- Corruption & politics in Ramulia
Ramulia, a great Human city, is having trouble. Their widely known Ramulian Militia has been deceived, and it is thought that there is something wrong in the upper regions of the city's command. The king is ill, and people fear the there is some sort of traitor gaining power.
- Necropolis
The Head Portal will take you to the Realm of the Dead, to the city Necropolis, where you will have to defeat the King of the Dead to find your way out.
- Pit of Sorlock
Between the borders of the Goblin and Human realm, lie the Xizs mountains, a dangerous place to go, not only because of the Pit of Sorlock. This pit is said to be the lair of some sort evil monster, which you have to defeat.
- Lost City of Talanis
In the Mahok Swamps, deap in the Goblin realms, lies the Lost City of Talanis. Legend says that the powerful Dragon Flute, the only way to command dragons is somewhere in that city.
- Tower of the Ancients
The Tower of the Ancients is a place on the Wizard's Isle. The first 7 wizards made the laws in those towers, and since then it has been a sacred place. Yet something strange is going on there now.
- Song of the Sages
The Song of the Sages, an ancient song, tells of a man who will bring peace and rest in the Halfworld. It also tells of a traitor amongst you, who will cause your downfall in the Troll Kingdom.
- Elder Scrolls
- Cloud City & Storm City
Somewhere above the Middle Sea, there is a floating city. The city, Cloud City, is the home of the Air Elves. They have lived there in peace for over many years, but now invaders have arrived from the nearby Storm City, bringing a most fearsome enemy with them.
- The Heavens

- Treetop Village in the Daran Forests
- Slavery in the Trilands
- The Great Library
- Underwater City
- Dendroid Community
- Portals
- The Cliff Elven Boy's Right of Passage
- The Sorcerer's Stone
- The Traitor
- The Statues
- Caves of Darkness
- Unicorn Glade
- The Half World's Life Force
- Finding Etag s'Rudlab
- The Ice Cavern
- Fire Giants in Molm
- Karg the Beastmaster
- Uminn's Golem Factory
- The Parapet in the Trogh Mountains
- The Solar Stone
- Istix, the Underground City
- The Phantom Manor
- The Volcano
- The Highest Mountain
- The King's Illness
- The Ruins of the Forgotten
- The Avariel
- The Cursed Village
- The Fountain of Youth

I will edit this mail as soon as i get time, and then i will explain each quest. Without that, i'm sure no one of you can understand the idea behind the quests... Keep that patience!!!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Link (edited 06-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Link (edited 08-31-2001).]
Old 06-24-2001, 05:48 PM   #149
Legolas the Elven Archer

LOL That explains Earthdog's reaction
Right. Fifth year of secondary school it is then. (I bet this isn't the proper name for it either )

Looking at the list of quests it appears you've got quite a few already. I doubt the amount of large quests in Baldur's Gate 2 was much more than 42. A lot of these quests involve different cities, which would seem to imply a lot of travel and a large map. Did you consider making it a multi user dungeon? () Anyway, lots of places means lots of people, and therefor lots of names as well. I always find naming people one of the hardest parts in a game
Where will you get them from? (Quick tip: I once downloaded a name generator program somewhere. Something like that could come in handy)

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-24-2001, 09:48 PM   #150
Bleys
Dungeon Master

Well there are a lot of major quest, most look like they will have there own cities and/or dungeons this will make one big game (On par with something like Daggerfall). This will make one big game, if you are going to make this have you thought about making it in chapters, that way you can get the game with one or two quests created, test it with get people to play it, and use that to sort out all the gameplay then it will be easier to program the rest of the game.