Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2001, 09:20 AM   #101
Link
Jack Burton

Well, yeah about the Sword thing. I was thinking about the Sword, that you'd need two rare gems (only two made, which can be found on the Highest Mountain in the Halfworld, and the second one in the Volcano, in the Troll Land --> it's more clear with a map, but i haven't been able to draw it online).
Monsters.. yeah that's the major deal, cos i can't just "steal" them from other games... That would give a problem with copyright and stuff like that. Heroes of Might and Magic series and of course Baldurs Gate 2 gives plenty of them: the only thing is, that you need to figure out what you want the creature/monster to look like. I totally don't agree with the Trolls on Baldurs Gate 2: they look like dendoids (those are living trees) to me.. I have to figure out everything, but thanks for the tip man!!!
BTW: Other monsters could be: mummies, goblins, gnomes (evil ones), dark (=drow) elves, liches, black knights, banshees, ghosts, wraiths, rocs, behemoths, dragons, kobolds, dendroids, trolls, normal people (monster????), efreeti, imps, pit fiens/lords, golems, gargoyles, gremlins, skeletons, all sorts of elementals (even ice, energy, storm, magma, psychic, etc.), pixies, sprites, wolf riders, unicorns, pegasi, cyclopes, orcs, ogres, serpent flies, gorgons, gnolls, wyverns, hydra's and so on....

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 05-30-2001, 09:30 AM   #102
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

WELL SIR LINK I highly reccommed you get off your butt and GO TO WORK on this This is taking FOREVER>>>>>> IM AN OLD MAN!!!!! I DONT HAVE FOREVER!!!!!

Ya slow ICE BUYSTED!!!!!! GIT ON IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
IS THE PIZZA HERE YET????
WANNA PASS ME A BEER??? THANKS!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2001, 09:50 AM   #103
Link
Jack Burton

What the....???? what do ya think i wrote above yours bastard!!!!!!

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 05-30-2001, 10:06 AM   #104
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

hey Link..... eat dung and bark at the lunar surface!!!!!!!!!!! fargin icewhole!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Old 05-30-2001, 10:10 AM   #105
Link
Jack Burton

I hope Memnoch or Ziroc burn you alive!!!! Cya in hell, Earthdog!!!!!!

------------------
Old 05-30-2001, 11:46 AM   #106
Legolas the Elven Archer

Boy, are you two being friendly
Anyway, it seems to me you've got most of the storyline together, and that the main problems you're facing now are some quests and your own desire to include some refreshingly original, never-seen-before monsters. Most of the time, monsters are based on real creatures which have been enlarged or mixed with other beasts (or both).
If you want to have some good monsters you should look at the environment and the creatures that live there, mix some, and then come up with a weird name. For example, if you're walking through a forest you could encounter a relatively large, highly intelligent spider with huge antlers called a Drughba or something. Or maybe it would be a biped rabbit lookalike with the head of a mouse of the Ghuar tribe of the Olg people. What you wouldn't want are a breed of crocodile-fish as they wouldn't fit in with the environment.
It might look difficult to come up with a new monster that looks and feels right, but hey, noone knew what elves were untill someone wrote a book in which they appeared, and another did, and another... After that, there wasn't a person in the world (okay, slight exaggeration here) who wouldn't get the image of the elves we all get when we read the name. So if you invent a monster it starts to lead a life of its own and in time you wouldn't find it strange anymore. Just give it a try and don't think too much on the names, as the words will grow to fit the monster.
On the subject of quests, I doubt anyone but you can help, as there are thousands of little and bigger tasks to think of, and you will have to pick the best ones. Now that you've come up with the cliff elves you should keep that unless it would be impossible because of the story or whatever.

And yes, Tolkien fan (and Wim Gijssen fan, and Terry Pratchett fan, and Raymond E Feist fan and Robin Hobb fan and Terry Brooks fan and ............, or in other words, fantasy addict. Tolkien's my favourite though.)

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 05-30-2001, 02:28 PM   #107
Link
Jack Burton

Thanks Legolas; we'll just say it's all in the family (Netherlands rulezzzzzzzzzz!!!). BTW: don't mind about me and EarthHog, we're that way ever since we met!!!!

------------------
Old 05-31-2001, 07:17 AM   #108
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Yep just ignore all the banter between Link (Fink lol) and myself. We are friends so its no big deal. We just like to raz eachother.

Thank Gods someone else has read Raymond E. Feist. The Riftwar Saga was a great series.

Also, Legolas (never would have guessed you were a Tolkien fan by the name there lol) have you read the Eddings books with Belgarion and Belgarath???? If not, Check em out!!! theyre great too!!!!

------------------
Old 05-31-2001, 07:27 AM   #109
Rolzi_69
The Magister

Well
I can treally give Monsters in particular but i can give names of games with monsters and you can alter them and change their names if that helps:
diablo 1,1+ and 2,2+
baldurs gate 1,1+,2,2+
Neverwinter nights
icewind dale
castlevania 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
and mostly on da net

------------------
Rolzi_69 will reign supreme over all!!!!
Old 05-31-2001, 09:20 AM   #110
Link
Jack Burton

Yeah thanks.. I am trying to draw my own monsters, but that's pretty hard.. I am proud of my drawings (one Dark Elf assassin!! that one's pretty good)

------------------