Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2001, 07:38 AM   #1
MORDRICK THE MAD
The Magister

I haven't read any books on the topic of Baldurs Gate or Dungeons & Dragons in general. Which book should I get that has the most charaters in it from BG as I would like to read about familiar chars travels.
E.G Gorian, Drizzt, Minsc, Artemis Entreri, Baahl etc
Thats if any of the above have been In any books.
Are all chars from the BG, IWD series been book characters?.

------------------

IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Old 03-03-2001, 07:47 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Anything by Bob Salvatore is good (with a couple of exceptions). He created the characters of Drizzt, Entreri, Wulfgar, Bruenor, and so on. I'd recommend:

The Dark Elf Trilogy
- Homeland
- Exile
- Sojourn

The Icewind Dale Trilogy
- The Crystal Shard
- Streams of Silver
- The Halflings Gem

Seige of Darkness
Servant of the Shard

The Avatar Trilogy (Shadowdale, Tantras, Waterdeep) is also a really cool trilogy. Check the AD&D forum on this site (go to the bottom left hand corner and jump to it), it has a lot of really useful info.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-03-2001, 03:37 PM   #3
Hesperex

also Legacy of the Drow series and Paths of Darkness series are great they follow on from the Dark elf trilogy and IWD trilogy. I hightly recommend the Cleric Quintet by Rob Salvatore it's very good indeed although i doubt u will be familer with the characters in it. E.D.Greenwood writes very good book also. Elminster Makeing of a Mage, Elminster in Myth Drannor and Elminster at the Magefair are all good books. The Lost Empires series by Mel Odom are very good.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hesperex (edited 03-03-2001).]

Old 03-03-2001, 03:43 PM   #4
Hesperex

Novels by R.A.Salvatore

The Icewind Dale Trilogy
-The Crystal Shard
-Streams of Silver
-The Halfling's Gem

The Dark Elf Trilogy
-Homeland
-Exile
-Sojourn

The Cleric Quintet
-Canticle
-In Sylvan Shadows
-Night Masks
-The Fallen Fortress
-The Chaos Curse

Legacy of the Drow
-The Lagacy
-Starless Night
-Siege of Darkness
-Passage to Dawn

Paths of Darkness
-The Silent Blade
-The Spine of the World
-Servent of the Shard
-Sea of Swords (released in October 2001)

------------------

Old 03-04-2001, 03:28 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The only thing that pisses me off about Ed Greenwood is the way that he portrays the Seven Chosen Sisters as erotic, oversexed characters which he fails at miserably IMO. Read Silverfall, when you get to the bit where Storm is being "interrogated" by the Zhentarim and you'll see what I mean. Plus do they ALWAYS have to prance around in front of men naked? He's almost making them out to be strippers for Godsakes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the personas of Mystra's Chosen, but he makes them out to be like nymphomanic wet dreams from a deprived adolescent childhood. Elaine Cunningham portrays Laeral so much better, and Lynn Abbey did a better job with the Simbul and Alustriel.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-04-2001, 11:35 AM   #6
Hesperex

I agree totaly Memnoch, that why I didn't mention Silverfall

------------------

Old 03-04-2001, 12:32 PM   #7
Aurican
Elminster

Yes I totally agreee with Memnoch. What is the deal with all the women portrayed on the covers of these novel wearing close to nothing. Even warrior women are naked and I think that is stupid, why have plate mail armor is your entire chest is exposed. I think once Ed Greenwood matures out of puberty he might start making more sense, I wish.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?