Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-31-2002, 12:19 AM   #171
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
[QB...[/qb]
Stop being pedantic - you obviously see my point. I'm certain there are a lot fewer beatings on aircraft carriers than in prisons - the same is probably true with cases of rape. So to compare the military to prison is laughable.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I will quit being so pendantic (nice word by the way) if you quit being so fixated on the poor poor criminals in our jails. jail is NOT a luxury hotel but neither is it the hell holes of the 18th century now, and I do get mighty offended when prisoners are given free what I have to work rather hard to obtain....free for them...I actually pay for it..so please do pardon me if I get a bit testy on how nearly 48% of my income is spent...ok?

[ 05-31-2002, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-31-2002, 02:16 AM   #172
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Quote:
I will quit being so pendantic (nice word by the way)
Um...okay....thank you, I guess. I thought most people knew the word "pedantic".

Quote:
if you quit being so fixated on the poor poor criminals in our jails.
Now you are just twisting my words some more. I never said anything about "poor poor criminals". By all means, if they committed the crime, then punish them. I just refuse to kill them, or allow the state to kill them. Killing is wrong, no matter who voted for you or appointed you or whatever.

Quote:
jail is NOT a luxury hotel but neither is it the hell holes of the 18th century now, and I do get mighty offended when prisoners are given free what I have to work rather hard to obtain....free for them...I actually pay for it..so please do pardon me if I get a bit testy on how nearly 48% of my income is spent...ok?
You work hard to obtain a nasty-looking cell with a bunk bed and the extreme possibility of beatings and rapings in the shower? You work hard to obtain zero freedom to come and go as you wish? You work hard to have a living space smaller than some people's bathrooms (closets, even), and to be served godawful food that I wouldn't touch with a 20-foot pole?

Maybe you should seek another profession or another living space if you work hard for the equivalent of a prison cell. And unless you're donating massive amounts of your money to the prisons of the United States (maybe that's why you work so hard for a prison cell equivalent), I highly doubt 48% of your income goes to US prisons.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:16 AM   #173
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
It's reversible I believe.
Yup all they gotta do is stop being enforced to take the pills/shots.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:20 AM   #174
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

"and to be served godawful food that I wouldn't touch with a 20-foot pole?" Gotta disagree with you there. My dad was a prison guard and he brought home that prison food once in a while.... it was damn good [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 02:38 AM   #175
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
"and to be served godawful food that I wouldn't touch with a 20-foot pole?" Gotta disagree with you there. My dad was a prison guard and he brought home that prison food once in a while.... it was damn good [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I'm sure it's not all from the same place.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:20 AM   #176
MagiK

Quote:
quote:

You work hard to obtain a nasty-looking cell with a bunk bed and the extreme possibility of beatings and rapings in the shower? You work hard to obtain zero freedom to come and go as you wish? You work hard to have a living space smaller than some people's bathrooms (closets, even), and to be served godawful food that I wouldn't touch with a 20-foot pole?

Maybe you should seek another profession or another living space if you work hard for the equivalent of a prison cell. And unless you're donating massive amounts of your money to the prisons of the United States (maybe that's why you work so hard for a prison cell equivalent), I highly doubt 48% of your income goes to US prisons.
[/QUOTE]Now who is trying to be a (epletive deleted) and derail the conversation? If you want to have a meaningful discussion fine, but lets not be assinine about things here.

And 48% of my income is forcibly removed from me and redistributed by the State, Local and Federal governments.The PRISONS are just one of the many places they misuse my money. So doubt away Mr. Thomas.

[ 05-31-2002, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-31-2002, 09:34 AM   #177
MagiK

Quote:
quote:
I will quit being so pendantic (nice word by the way)
Um...okay....thank you, I guess. I thought most people knew the word "pedantic".

[/QUOTE]Actually I read somewhere that the Average person only has a vocabulary of around 200 words, so no, most people have probably never heard the word pendantic. The schools dont really do much to teach vocabulary these days (IMO). It really is not in common use and I am serious when I applaude your use of a rather uncommon word. [img]graemlins/starhappy.gif[/img]

[ 05-31-2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-31-2002, 01:06 PM   #178
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbarian:
One more thought on this subject. There is NO such thing as Life Without Parole. Thirty to forty years down the road, the sensationalism of the crimes will be forgotten; emotions will not be nearly as high, and the murderer WILL eventually stand a decent chance of getting out of jail.

I saw a show detailing the 1920's case of Loeb/Leopold. These two wealthy teenagers went cruising around Chicago one afternoon for the sole purpose of finding a young child to kill - just for the fun of it.

It was considered the Crime of the Century at the time. They both received life sentences for the crime and one of them (Loeb?) died while in prison. The other, however, survived and was eventually released over 30 years later.
There is also always the possibility that evidence eventually turns up that shows that the person might be innocent. It has been definitively proven that Sam Shepard did not murder his wife (I guess it must have been the one-armed man! [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] ) and whats-his-name who took the fall for the Lindberg kidnapping is, according to experts on the case, innocent.

I wonder how many "crimes of the century" there were?

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:24 PM   #179
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

THis is a link for all the people against the death penalty.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...on/3360958.htm

To sum it up , justice was served.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:13 PM   #180
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
THis is a link for all the people against the death penalty.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...on/3360958.htm

To sum it up , justice was served.
And this proves... what?