Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-10-2001, 10:38 PM   #11
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Skunk, made me think of a question to those that read this, has anyone ever gotten through 'soa' playing by strict core rules? I've tried 3 time now, and have always lost to many npc's permanently, just doesn't seem possible...*sigh*

Skunk, I'm one of those ppl that like to play by the rules so if I don't memorize a spell, then my my npc or main character can be heard cursing up a storm... To me this game isn't about soloing, you have to create a god char that becomes boring and you miss out on the intended fun and interation of the game. Struggling is part of the fun!

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"

[This message has been edited by IrishHound (edited 09-10-2001).]
Old 09-11-2001, 06:37 AM   #12
Skunk
Banned User

I play by the D&D rules because the 'normal' setting makes it tooo easy (ie always full hp at level up etc).

Soooo... changing to the easy 'normal' gameplay is not an option i want to explore. I have completed the game once with pure D&D rules - the only exception was that i don't expect failing to write down a spell. That was the only time i ever reloaded (i did lose a couple of people along the way though...)

I confirm that, on two separate games with a pickpocket MAXED out, his skills eventually become all but useless (you have to pickpocket everyone in sight - probably around 150 times before this starts to happen). It gets to the stage that even with the pickpocket gloves AND the potion of master thievery, he always get caught - even when pickpocteting 'Commoners'!

I also agree with Aelia Jusa's comment about the 'to and fro' from area to area in the city. Ughhhh!
And as for starting a new game in Irenicus's dungeon - arghhhh. I hate it sooo much that I have kept a few saves (of different class protagonists)at the point where he has just left the dungeon - so I never have to start there again either. As Lilacor (talking sword) would say: "Boring, Boooring!"

Hey Zoltan: As for Minsc, starting out with two dual weapons points because he is a ranger -OK, i can understand it - but why didn't he then turn to longswords or (because of his strength) to Hammers or Axes? He could have then capitalised on the dual wielding. Face it, if you had the Minsc charactor and were dual classing, would you let two proficiency points go to waste? Neither would I...

Old 09-11-2001, 06:43 AM   #13
Skunk
Banned User

Irish hound:
You said:
"Skunk, I'm one of those ppl that like to play by the rules so if I don't memorize a spell, then my my npc or main character can be heard cursing up a storm... To me this game isn't about soloing, you have to create a god char that becomes boring and you miss out on the intended fun and interation of the game. Struggling is part of the fun!"

If you're playing by strict D&D rules, then you can never reload a saved game because you did not like the outcome of a battle...
So are you saying that everytime your main charactor is killed you re-start the entire game? I find this hard to believe... or maybe you are 'selective' about how strict you are too...
Old 09-15-2001, 05:41 AM   #14
Skunk
Banned User

Loss of proficiency points when you dual class.

How about this one. You start as a fighter and put pro. points in longsword and dual weapons. Then dual class as a thief.

Now you lose all the previously spent points and allocated four new ones... Why?
How did my charactor suddenly forget how to wield a sword? This would be a great way to reform criminals - just turn them all into plumbers and carpenters and they will immediately forget how to hold a gun, make a bomb etc...

Why not allow you to keep the previous proficiency points but not allow you to have any more until your new class overtook the old one?
Old 09-15-2001, 03:36 PM   #15
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I wonder if there is a global variable that rises with each pickpocket.. Conceivably, if so, you could reset it in Shadowkeeper and continue stealing. Just a thought
Old 09-15-2001, 03:45 PM   #16
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
[B]Who thought up the original proficiency points for Minsc, Aerie etc?
Why does Minsc a ++Two handed sword and a ++Dual weapon??? Duh?
B]
NPC proficiancy... The only NPC's in the game with duel weild prof are Minsc and Hear'Dalis... Minsc needs 2 handed weapon prof instead of mace and Hear'Dalis needs to be *shot* and his Duel weild prof points trasfered to Anomen or Jahiera instead of sling and club respectivly.