Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2002, 06:06 PM   #1
Lioness
Jack Burton

Again...SPOILER!!!
Anyway...
I've completed the Windspear Hills Quest(Chap. 2), but haven't faced down Firkragg yet, I just wandered out and beat his little mage. Should I go back and attack now, or wait til I'm stronger? I have my 11th lvl Kensai wielding the DragonSlayer, along with DayStar, and my party also includes:

Minsc: lvl 11, Jaheira: fighter 9, druid 12, Valygar: 11, Nalia: 4 theif, 11 mage, and Jan: 11 theif, 11 mage.

I am next going to go do the Cult of the Unseeing Eye and Haer'Dalis quests, or fight Firkragg. I am actually in Athkatla now(I really need to rest and sell) so I want to know if I should go back and take on the nasty lizard.

Any advice is welcome. Also, what weapon/style do you have Minsc using? I had him dualing Bastard Swords, but now he is using two-handes sword +2, and the Ripper +2. He is serving as my tank to take the hits while my Kensai chops em to peices, so I need the best defensive strategy as well.

Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2002, 06:31 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

You quite definatley have to be stronger than lvl 11. Quite a lot stronger, unless you want to cheese him. Cheesy tactics versus dragon are easily found so I wont repeat them here.

Taking Firkraag on honestly is much like other dragon. Get resistance to the appropriate elemnt (fire in this case), banish any spells that use this element from your spellbooks (fireball, flame arrow etc). use oils of speed, potions of strength, bless, chant, haste, any enhancement you can think of really. Do not even think about engaging Firkraag in close unless you are really good though - he is quite awesome in melee. And dont bunch up all on one side either, his wing buffet will knock you all unconcious.

Get the Shadow Dragon first, as he is far easier.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:32 PM   #3
Mourn Yauntyyr
The Magister

I'd wait a little while. Get to about level 13 or so. Firkraag isn't inordinately tough, but he will whip the crap outta lower-level parties. When you do fight him, I would highly recommend summoning lots of big baddies to help out.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:32 PM   #4
Meanal
Dungeon Master

i think you might as well try you dont know unless you try, im new to this game but i prefere a 2handed sword for minsc and boo he is a ranger so specalises in 2handed
From Meanal the Monk
Old 01-26-2002, 06:37 PM   #5
PoesRaven
Manshoon

Firkraag is NOT easy to beat without cheating (i dont recommend using fake-talk strategies, as it saps the fun out of the game). I can however tell you several ways that worked well for me:

SPOILER!

Cloudkill is an excellent spell! Keep your party out of range, and cast it several times.
You can use Yoshimo to set a load of snares around the dragon b4 attacking him (while he's blue).
Backstab the Dragon [img]smile.gif[/img]
Use conjured creatures in close combat and let your archers and mages let rip from range, but beware of the wing buffet.
PoesRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 06:39 PM   #6
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

Don't take on Firkrag, but yes on the wizard twit. Give Minsc the twohanded sword +3 in the sewers under the copper coronet. Dont have him as your tank, make Jaheria as your tank cuz she is an elf and has a kick rs dext. and Armour, and shield.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:39 PM   #7
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Get the 7th level mage spell Mordenkainen's Magnificent Sword, summon two or three of these and send them around BEHIND Firkraag to attack him from behind while your fighters attack from the sides, then he'll only be able to hit either the swords or your fighters, split up your fighters if you've got more than one so that half of them attack him from one side and the other half from the other, then he'll only be able to attack a third of your close combat fighters(Swords, fighter group 1 or fighter group 2).

Meanwhile, your mages will pummel Firkraag with a few Lower Resistance and Greater Malison spells while your clerics buff your close combateers with Bless, Prayer and the like.

After the first few Lower Resistance and Greater Malison spells have hit Firkraag have all your clerics and mages fire offensive spells at Firkraag, any clerics who run out of offensive spells can go help with close combat since they've got reasonable armor and close combat capabilities, if they don't, have them use slings instead.

That's my non-cheese way of beating Firkraag, always used it, always won with it.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 06:42 PM   #8
BlackJack21
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by PoesRaven:

Backstab the Dragon [img]smile.gif[/img]

I thought that You couldn't backstab dragons? Am I wrong?
BlackJack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 07:13 PM   #9
Meanal
Dungeon Master

minsc has more HP than jaherie though they use the kensai for attacking and minsc to take a kicking
From Meanal the Monk
Old 01-27-2002, 12:31 AM   #10
Arathor
The Magister

you can do it without cheese, although i have no problem with cheese. i did it at a bout that level without knowing what the hell i was doing. just chug every potion you have and buff with everything you have and you should be able to do it in a few tries.
Arathor is offline   Reply With Quote