Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2002, 12:27 PM   #21
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I was disappointed to see the Kings fold up too. Mike Bibby was the ONLY bright spot for them last night and the ONLY one that was consistently spectacular throughout the series.

The more I watched the series, the more overrated I'm beginning to think Chris Webber is. In Game 7, he didn't look like he knew what to do with the ball when he got it. I was amazed that the Kings could blow the Lakers out by 20 points in one quarter, only to start standing around and let them get back in the game (Game 4).

The refs didn't give the Lakers the series. The Kings got just as many favorable calls in Game 7 as the Lakers did at home. The bottom line is that the Lakers were simply the better team this time around.

Their intensity grew as the series went along. They did a lot of trash talking at first (which is why I wanted to see Sacramento send them to the house), but they were ALL very respectful of the Kings after the series was over - even Rick Fox had nothing but good things to say about them.

I think the Lakers realized that they AREN'T invincible. Sacramento SHOULD'VE beaten them. They two games in L.A. where the Kings just blew them off the floor in the first half, only to self-destruct in the second half was the turning point.

Technically, Robert Horry's Game 4 winning shot shouldn't have made any difference. Walker hit a 3-point shot at the end of the first half. Instant Replay showed that he got the shot off too late, so L.A. shouldn't have won, but that's the way basketball goes.

Sacramento has nobody to blame but themselves for Game 7. Their free throw shooting was horrible and Stojakovich had a wide-open 3-point shot that could've clinched the game. Instead, he shot an AIR BALL! (unbelievable).

I feel sorry for the Nets. Jason Kidd and his crew are good, but the Lakers just survived a real scare, and I don't think they're going to risk that again. I hope I'm wrong and they give them a good fight, but L.A. is simply the best team in the NBA and they're probably going to prove that for the 3rd straight time.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:17 PM   #22
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Chris Weber is a jackass. Vlade is a whimpering biyatch. He was crying about one thing or another throughout the entire game. The whole team is pretty much worthless with the notable exception of Bibby. He played an excellent game without any doubts, and is going to get PAID when they have to sign him to a new contract because he becomes a free agent after this season.

Whoever asked if we like Rick Fox. I have two words for you: Vanessa Williams. While we hate him for being with one of the most beautiful women alive, at the same time we have to doff our hats in humble respect for being married to such an utterly stunning woman.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 06-03-2002, 01:28 PM   #23
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
I was disappointed to see the Kings fold up too. Mike Bibby was the ONLY bright spot for them last night and the ONLY one that was consistently spectacular throughout the series.

The more I watched the series, the more overrated I'm beginning to think Chris Webber is. In Game 7, he didn't look like he knew what to do with the ball when he got it. I was amazed that the Kings could blow the Lakers out by 20 points in one quarter, only to start standing around and let them get back in the game (Game 4).

The refs didn't give the Lakers the series. The Kings got just as many favorable calls in Game 7 as the Lakers did at home. The bottom line is that the Lakers were simply the better team this time around.

Their intensity grew as the series went along. They did a lot of trash talking at first (which is why I wanted to see Sacramento send them to the house), but they were ALL very respectful of the Kings after the series was over - even Rick Fox had nothing but good things to say about them.

I think the Lakers realized that they AREN'T invincible. Sacramento SHOULD'VE beaten them. They two games in L.A. where the Kings just blew them off the floor in the first half, only to self-destruct in the second half was the turning point.

Technically, Robert Horry's Game 4 winning shot shouldn't have made any difference. Walker hit a 3-point shot at the end of the first half. Instant Replay showed that he got the shot off too late, so L.A. shouldn't have won, but that's the way basketball goes.

Sacramento has nobody to blame but themselves for Game 7. Their free throw shooting was horrible and Stojakovich had a wide-open 3-point shot that could've clinched the game. Instead, he shot an AIR BALL! (unbelievable).

I feel sorry for the Nets. Jason Kidd and his crew are good, but the Lakers just survived a real scare, and I don't think they're going to risk that again. I hope I'm wrong and they give them a good fight, but L.A. is simply the best team in the NBA and they're probably going to prove that for the 3rd straight time.
well spoken dude. The kings choked at the crucial moment, especially webber and stojakovic. Pity but that's just the way it is. As for the nets, i don't give them much of a chance but i intend to keep this thread alive during the finals anyway. Since there is a footballthread and a baseballthread going on at the moment i think hoopfans should have a place of their own as well.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:16 PM   #24
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by druss:
Im not saying the KINGS are a bad team.But the LAKERS are still winning big game when others are not. Some teams that were called great you dont hear about them now. Thats why their great!
Now you tell me why they are not? And no excuses about the refs.
What do you mean you dont hear about them anymore? I still hear of the Celtic Dyanasty often. And ofcourse you dont hear about it as often because it was,what, 30 years ago? Lets see if we hear about LA that often in 2032.

They are not great. Good maybe. But not great. Everyone knows Shaq stays more then 3 seconds in the paint and the refs hardly ever call it. Every one knows the refs are 90% of the time majorly baised for the lakers. Its no secrete. And they have such horrible attudites.

I agree Divac should stop trying to play a tuff game. Albiet that foul where he was fouled out wasnt a foul, Bryant ran right into him and Divac fell and Kobe went down with him. It was such a stupid call. Yea, Paga (Stoijokavic) screwed up. He should have made it, so did Turkgolou.

Maybe The Refs didnt give the Lakers this particular serries, but some of there calls are quite stunning.

Another thing that pisses me of! BILL WALTON!! God I hate that guy. No matter how bad the Lakers are playing he compliments them. And he is stupid. Really, he just basicly repeats what the other guy says.

[ 06-04-2002, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Grand-Ranger ]
Old 06-04-2002, 04:44 AM   #25
druss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Im not talken about the year 2032.I talken about now.Bibby is the only one worth a dime on that team.And if he dont leave next year hes crazy. I like Boston but where are they now??? I think that BOSTON should be playen L.A. but they didnt get it done.
So what team is great??
Why is it when a team gets beat it always the REF . Never that they didnt play good. If they had hit there FG they might have won it. Did u see how many they missed?

[ 06-04-2002, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: druss ]
Old 06-04-2002, 04:51 AM   #26
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by druss:
Im not talken about the year 2032.I talken about now.Bibby is the only one worth a dime on that team.And if he dont leave next year hes crazy. I like Boston but where are they now??? I think that BOSTON should be playen L.A. but they didnt get it done.
So what team is great??
Why is it when a team gets beat it always the REF . Never that they didnt play good. If they had hit there FG they might have won it. Did u see how many they missed?
sacramento is a great team dude, they just lack experience. They'll be back next season.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:11 AM   #27
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
What do you mean you dont hear about them anymore? I still hear of the Celtic Dyanasty often. And ofcourse you dont hear about it as often because it was,what, 30 years ago? Lets see if we hear about LA that often in 2032.

They are not great. Good maybe. But not great. Everyone knows Shaq stays more then 3 seconds in the paint and the refs hardly ever call it. Every one knows the refs are 90% of the time majorly baised for the lakers. Its no secrete. And they have such horrible attudites.

I agree Divac should stop trying to play a tuff game. Albiet that foul where he was fouled out wasnt a foul, Bryant ran right into him and Divac fell and Kobe went down with him. It was such a stupid call. Yea, Paga (Stoijokavic) screwed up. He should have made it, so did Turkgolou.

Maybe The Refs didnt give the Lakers this particular serries, but some of there calls are quite stunning.

Another thing that pisses me of! BILL WALTON!! God I hate that guy. No matter how bad the Lakers are playing he compliments them. And he is stupid. Really, he just basicly repeats what the other guy say[/QB]
I agree, Grand-Ranger.

I can think of 3 dynasties in "recent" years. The Celtics and Lakers from the early 80's and - of course - Da Bulls from the 90's.

All of those teams were great and the ongoing rivalry between the Celtics and the Lakers each year helped revive the NBA, which was dropping horribly in TV ratings back then. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird brought the fans back to the game and Michael Jordan kept them here.

Those teams were definitely the greatest ones during the last 20 years. Now the Lakers are great again. They have the BEST all-around team and the two most dominating players in their respective positions.

This version of the Lakers could easily handle any of the other 3 dynasty teams. By the same token, any of those 3 teams could easily handle this version of the Lakers. That's why dynasty teams are so great. They could handle any challenge thrown at them. Sacramento has given the new Lakers the biggest challenge they have faced in a loooong time. They have been steamrolling over teams for 2 years, but now the other teams are starting to adjust and learn how to play them.

AFA the refs go, that's just the way the NBA works. The star players get the favorable calls. If you ever get a chance to see Michael Jordan's game winning shot of the Bulls last NBA championship against the Jazz, watch it closely. He CLEARLY shoves Brian Shaw out of the way. Why wasn't it called? Because it was the winning shot of the final championship made by the greatest player to take the floor. The refs aren't going to take away THAT storybook ending.

Kobe suffered his share of fouls and no calls against more established players during his first years. Now his team are 2-time champions and he is one of the reigning stars. Shaq still gets 80% of his fouls called on the OFFENSIVE end, but he has learned to adjust and changed his style to account for the fouls the refs will call.
Vlade played Shaq better than anybody else in the NBA, but he has a reputation as a "flopper", so a lot of the calls are going to go against him.

There were PLENTY of NO CALLS in the last game - on both ends. The Kings got away with just as many fouls as the Lakers did.

The bottom line is that Sacramento simply couldn't handle the pressure. They had HUGE leads in Games 4 & 5 and should NEVER have lost either of those games. In Game 7, Bibby (and maybe Bobby Jackson) were the ONLY players that didn't take part in a universal choke-fest for Sacramento. Missing free throws and open jump shots WILL NOT win a championship.

But they came very close, and they should grow from this experience. They have PLENTY of talent and now they have played at the highest level. This should prepare them for next season.

BTW, I hate Bill Walton too. His claim to fame was playing center during the Glory Years at UCLA. Once he hit the NBA, though, he didn't do much of anything. How that qualifies him as an NBA analyst is beyond me.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:26 AM   #28
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
once again you are right cerek, and maybe a new rivalry has been born here. I do have to fill you in on something here about MJ, he couldn't have shoved brian shaw to the side because brian shaw wasn't playing for the jazz at that time, in fact, he never did. You probably meant bryon russell, didn't you ?
Old 06-04-2002, 12:18 PM   #29
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
once again you are right cerek, and maybe a new rivalry has been born here. I do have to fill you in on something here about MJ, he couldn't have shoved brian shaw to the side because brian shaw wasn't playing for the jazz at that time, in fact, he never did. You probably meant bryon russell, didn't you ?
I was pretty sure I had the player right...so I must be wrong about the team.

Who did Chicago beat for the 6th championship?

If it was Utah, then you must be right about Bryon Russell.

Either way, MJ got away with fairly obvious PUSH, but that's because he was who he was.

The one other lesson Sacramento needs to learn is to QUIT WHINING to the referees. They will NEVER go in your favor if you get in thier face all the time. The Lakers hardly disputed a call in the entire series, and they never got in the ref's faces about it when they did complain.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:34 PM   #30
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well I still wanted the Kings to win... it's saddening...

Anyways I am routing for Nets... I hope they surprise the LAkers... I don't want them to win anymore... it's getting boring... [img]smile.gif[/img]