Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2002, 12:47 PM   #11
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

It sounds as if home schooling is becoming a more attractive alternative by the day.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-30-2002, 12:49 PM   #12
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I heard today that an Aussie middle-school boy was thrown out of school for bringing a picture of a knife to school to share with his friends. Talk about no tolerance! I thought I had heard the worst when the kids were thrown out for playing in the playground using their fingers to imitate a gun, but to be suspended for a picture? What has become of this miserable world?

Was the teacher afraid the kid would paper-cut somebody?
hmm, thats a first time. at very many times, its the other way around. i think teachers, overall, are too kind to children(well, there are a few exceptions). my low-intelligence class mates do everykinds of wierd and annoying things, for example, shout out dirty words in the middle of a lesson and the teachers do NOTHING about it!!
Old 05-30-2002, 12:49 PM   #13
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hey, bad news, since hands, elbows and legs can be easily lethal weapons it will be mandatory for all extruding limbs to be forcibly removed.
Man this zero tolerance is lame.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:55 PM   #14
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
It sounds as if home schooling is becoming a more attractive alternative by the day.

-Sazerac
Indeed it is. More people should try it. Its much more effective then public schools, at least in America anyway. And you dont ahve to put up with crap like this.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:16 PM   #15
DeSoya
Manshoon

We should remove all the books from schools. [img]smile.gif[/img] Here in America most of the school books are approved by one right wing religious school board in Texas. Most of the info has already been censored or is bent or misleading. Plus you could kill someone with a large book (say a chemistry or algebra two manual).

Does anyone remember reading about the girl who was expelled from grade school because her mother packed a butter knife in the girl's lunch box? The little girl took the knife to her teacher and then the principle expelled her. How's that for stupid. Do what you're told (go to big people if there's a problem) and get in trouble for it. Yikes.

Homeschooling isn't always the best alternative. It doesn't work for everybody. I personally think that the public schools are fixable. But that's another topic.

DeSoya
Old 05-30-2002, 02:17 PM   #16
Charean
Hathor

Paranoia finally rules the day... and it won't get better.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:43 PM   #17
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I agree with everyone that zero tolerance is a really stupid idea, but has this thread reminded anyone else of the Monty Python skit about "How to defend yourself against an attacker armed with a banana?"
Old 05-30-2002, 02:46 PM   #18
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Heh Not until you reminded me Attalus
Classic sketch that, and it's a pity the real situation is akin to that, in fact worse... with a banana you might be able to bruise someone, but pretending to shoot someone with a pretend gun, never saw that hurt anyone, well unless it supposedly mentally scarred them
Old 05-30-2002, 02:51 PM   #19
MagiK

Umm Larry...two boys who were playing at recess (4th grade I believe) were expelled from school, because they were playing cops and robbers and using their fingers as guns....this was in the USA. I am not Joking...it really happened.

[ 05-30-2002, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-30-2002, 03:39 PM   #20
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

you know that's what he just said? lol

I got suspended once!

*everybody ghasps in horror*

Yup, It was for, get this, GETTING PUNCHED in the face and not fighting back... I didn't want to hurt the guy, I figured i'd report him and that would be the end of it. So I did, and I got punished for it, what the HECK is with that?