Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-12-2001, 02:36 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Monday night I was in the apartment I've been posting from lately. Chambers street with a stunning view of the WTC, Statue of Liberty, Downtown, the Hundson and even City hall. I looked out at the top of the WTC towards a friend who I was speaking to on the phone. They were in the bar up there. One of the last to leave that night. I was going to stay in the same friends apartment that night instead of the one I was phoning from and so lined up meeting details.

I awoke on Tuesday 9am. I had a recording session that day in a studio a few blocks north. Nearing 9:30 I heard a hell of a lot of sirens. I jokingly called down in a mock NYC accent "hey some New Yorkers are trying to sleep" mainly for the ears of one of the roommates who had just woken as well.

Running a little late I headed out onto sixth avenue and moved northwards amazed by the number of people on the street. Focussed, I didn't think anything of it until I after jogging uptown for a bit I came upon a van with a crowd of people huddled round it listening to the radio.
"What's going on?" I asked
"Two planes just hit the World trade centre" came the reply from the sombre faced businessman. "Terrorists. They made a beeline straight for the buildings"

Then I turned around.

I couldn't believe it. Smoke, the crowds. It was surreal. "Damn" I thought. "That's gonna take ages to repair" totally unaware of what would follow. I was bummed and concerned, but was running late so I kept on towards the studio. I came across a park with a view of the WTC and had another look. More crowds were staring at the spectacle. I had just turned to start walking east when people started screaming. Their sounds of pure panic and sorrow will ring in my ears forever. It impacted my phyche.
"No no no!" I heard men scream
"Oh my God, Oh my God" women wailed panic stricken.
"Aaaah"

I thought another plane must have been flying toward us, heading for the crowd. I looked again at the towers and saw the most sickening picture of the tower, with God knows how many people inside fall in a powdery cloud of dust.

I stared in horror. "No" I whispered. Women nearby were crying. Men staring in disbelief walking in circles muttering things like "The tower just fell. The tower just fell down."

I wept. I felt sick. Such loss of life, such destruction.

I can't write anymore about that. It's just so surreal. I went to the studio. THe radio and TV were on in there. We saw the second of the towers fall. None of us felt good about recording, yet we did our best to focus for the moment, and while I sang, was in another world, with no catastrophic loss of life.

Then I was back in the real world.

I went back downtown. I lined up to give blood, but they started turning us away from St. Vincents. Ironically the name of the hospital in Sydney where blood transfusions saved my own life.

I hung around though. Talking to people. Everywhere the converstaions were about nothing else.

Later that night I was on a bike, and Manhattan was like a Ghost town. Stores shut, no cars, very few people. Police blockades, State troopers. A War zone. It is a different city to before this disaster. There is a different mood. The icon to the cities heart, wealth and success lies in rubble at the hands of some phycopaths.

Yet in response, New Yorkers, the same who are so self focussed, distracted and accumulative, have in their hundreds given of their very lifeforce, their blood, to help in the only way they can.

My God. My God.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-12-2001, 02:37 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

HUGH! Thank God you are ok! And it IS a horrible thing to have witnessed... I am so overwhelmed by your story and the ones my friends there told...

But we will overcome this and God Bless all of us in these troubled times.

Amber

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-12-2001, 02:40 PM   #3
Absynthe

Thank you for posting, Yorick. I'm glad that you are alright, thanks also to your brother for letting us know you were ok.
I thought I might be done crying, then I read your account. There will never be enough tears for those who died in this tragedy.

Old 09-12-2001, 02:40 PM   #4
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I still can't believe what has happened. By reading the last 2 pages of threads you may see what has been going on in IW the past day. Or maybe words cannot describe the atmosphere of shock, disbelief and fear that weighed heavily onto us. And I believe that I speak for all the members of IW when I say that I am glad to see you safe and posting - we were really worried.

------------------

Kazara

Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-12-2001, 02:41 PM   #5
MagiK

Thank you for sharing that, and glad you are ok.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-12-2001, 02:44 PM   #6
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

for some reason this telling finaly brought tears to my eyes,
seeing it on tv brought disbelief and anger, and what must be true hate.
but this has really broken be down

to hear the tale from a personal friend...

glad your safe mate.

may God be with you all.

------------------

Get The IronWorks Winamp skin
Slackerboys Custom Characters
Old 09-12-2001, 02:49 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
for some reason this telling finaly brought tears to my eyes,
seeing it on tv brought disbelief and anger, and what must be true hate.
but this has really broken be down

to hear the tale from a personal friend...

glad your safe mate.

may God be with you all.

And you too Brad

Amber, Absynthe, Kaz and Magik. Be safe

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-12-2001, 02:53 PM   #8
Moni

My heart goes out to you for what you had to witness, Yorick.

You were in my thoughts from the moment I entered my dentist's waiting room and saw on television what was going on.
I saw the first tower fall as the event was being covered live and I broke down and cried.
I don't know if I could have been as strong as you to keep going had I been there to witness it firsthand.
My heart is heavy with sorrow for the loss of life that took place in NY and Washington DC yesterday.

I am so glad that you are safe though!
Thank you for coming here today. Your presence on this board is a blessing to the hearts that mourn what happened and who were sincerly worried for your safety and well-being.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-12-2001, 02:55 PM   #9
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

We are all just so happy that you are safe!

------------------

TD..TD...
Old 09-12-2001, 03:02 PM   #10
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Thank God you're ok my friend. We were all worried about you. You are the first one I thought of when I heard of it. Stay safe.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB