Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-22-2003, 01:02 AM   #1
Lil Lil

Collie Looking Dog Near Page Bottom (page says she is sixteen, but the vet records I had them pull this morning have her at twenty since January...wow...I never knew...she has only been in my care for the last four years)

She had a good (and long) life, in spite of having to take daily meds to prevent her from having seizures. [img]smile.gif[/img]

She was looking really bad about three days ago but none of us felt like we had the right to have the vet put her down so we got her some mild pain killers and she went on her own, as we expected.

Yesterday morning after breakfast, she layed down. went to sleep, and never woke up.

We thought that her sister Code might not take it well but she doesn't even notice that Zip is gone, proving to me that she is as retarded as I always thought she was.

Herc and Sugar watched us bury her...more out of curiosity, I think Their attention was taken away rather quiclky by 5 new puppies that got out of our neighbor's back yard...and no we aren't taking one of the puppies! I still think we have about twelve too many animals living here.

Rest in Peace, old girl, I know wherever your energy is, it is happy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-22-2003, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Lil Lil ]

Old 05-22-2003, 01:17 AM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

awww..I am sorry, but at least se lived a healthy happy life with you [img]smile.gif[/img]
I used to do the same thing you are doingnow, but unfortuneatly am unable while my kids are young, it is hard enough with jojo, he is hyper and scratches the kids, and does not seem to respond well to training,maybe when the kids get older i can do that again [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 01:47 AM   #3
Lil Lil

thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Animals that don't respond well to training are tough, I know...Sugar is a prime example of a dog with a mind of its own (we have no idea how old she is and she was quite independent before we took her in) and the cat E.V. that we own...I just can't stand him and I love cats lol...he knows what "get down" means but he'll jump up on the kitchen counter and then he makes you touch him before he will move and then he follows you around for half an hour whining to be petted because you touched him! We pay all of our animals attention (and plenty lol) but he is just pathetic about his perception of what is enough is just warped...you could pet him forever and he would still want more ha ha ha.

I am glad Zip is gone...she was suffering before she died and that hurt me more than her passing on.

Old 05-22-2003, 02:32 AM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I'm so sorry Moni . It's easy enough to rationalise and say it was for the best when they've been suffering, but it doesn't make it stop hurting or help you not to miss them. What a lovely thing that you helped her die at home instead of at the vet - I'm sure it avoided any unnecessary stress for her.

*hugs*
Old 05-22-2003, 03:17 AM   #5
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Sucks Lil Lil

Its pretty tough seeing a pet you love die, and yeah its even tougher knowing they are in pain before dieing.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 05-22-2003, 08:04 AM   #6
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

You have my sympathies, Lil. Even though it's good that Zip's not suffering anymore, I know it still hurts. I cried like a baby when my kitty, Whiskers, died after I had her for 15 years, and I wasn't even there when it happened, which is what I felt even worse about (I was in college). I'm sure she was wondering where I was in those final moments. I'm glad you were able to be there to help your friend move on to a more peaceful place.
*hugs* to you and yours. Your comment about Code, cracked me up, though!!
Old 05-22-2003, 08:39 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

So sorry to hear about Zip. He did have a good long life, but it's always sad to lose a pet, no matter how long or short our time with them.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:05 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

how cute zip looks at the picture. i know the feeling of a pet you would rather have it see it pass away than suffer much more but not the heart to do it.

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-22-2003, 11:17 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
It's so sad when a dog dies. It's like losing your best friend. My brother's dog recently passed away, she had internal bleedings caused by a tumor. it wasn't really my dog, but she spent a lot of time at my place, when my bro was out of town (which happens quite often}. It really hurts.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:21 AM   #10
Lil Lil

Thanks to all of you. Her passing was really for the best.

We haven't told Rex's grandpa that she is gone...she was his dog and he was/is very attached to all of his pets, the dogs less so than the cats but since he doesn't get around without his cane and since Herc doesn't like him out back, he has only visited with Zip & Code through the back door for the past year or so and only every now and then at that...I guess if he misses her we can tell him that she must be taking a nap in the shade...he won't think otherwise I am sure. I would hate to have to mislead him about her (hey, we did bury her under the shade of a small tree and we don't have to tell him it is a dirt nap, right? ) but I know it would break his heart...I won't know what to do if his cat Bubba passes on before he does, he'll chase that cat down to drag it to bed like its a stuffed animal every night lol.

harleyquinn,
I know all to well how it is to cry like a baby when a pet dies...they become like members of our family after a while don't they? I've done it many times.
(I was serious about Code lol...never thought about dogs suffering from mental retardation until I started taking care of her but I am convinced that if they can, she does...she's a sweety...dumb as a post, but sweet.

you and johnny have my sympathy for your losses as well.

johnny, I used to take care of my brother-in-law's dog and when he got cancer in his tail and the family shipped him off to live with his mother in Phoenix, it was terrible for both of us...he literally made an "Oh!" noise when he saw me and he ran to me and stood on his hind legs and hugged my neck when I got to see him again. It was terrible when the cancer spread and he ended up passing away because of it...I know just how you feel.

love & hugs to all of you and thanks again.