Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 06-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Default Wait button?

As mentioned in the other forum,

http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=899.msg10428#new

I have designed a guard who walks around. In this context, I suddenly realized that - apart from the rest option - there is no option for the party to wait. Not to rest, but only to wait for, let's say. 1 minute.

The only things which came to my mind were that you can add a turning penalty in the Global Menu, or perhaps turn the "searching" duration to 1 minute (which, if the player clicked "look at", would envolve 1 minute passing by). Another option would be a question button: "Do you want to wait 1 minute?", or maybe an event tied to the EXAMINE button for NPCs, combined with a logic block adding one minute to the party time. But this would probably not trigger an event tied to the following minute if not paired with a teleporter event...

All the options above are not exactly what I think of. There should be the possibility to make a "0-step", meaning that 1 minute passes whithout the party doing anything, but including triggering events. Is that possible, and does anybody agree that this is useful? In my guard example, it would allow the party to stay at the same place and see the guard walking by.

Or am I overlooking an already possible thing?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Paul Stevens
Drow Warrior

Default Re: Wait button?

Sounds very easy to supply.
There are no menu' options for
movement. Do you think there should
be a menu option 'WAIT'?

The space bar could perform a 'WAIT'.

The mouse in the viewport can be used
to move about. Should it be possible
to performa a 'WAIT' similarly with the
mouse? Right Click? What?

I envision 'WAIT' as a movement of
zero spaces. A step of zero length.

Is it reasonable to put effort into this?
Paul Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

What about the Look button? It causes the party to stay in one spot, doe a 'search' and 10 minutes passes?

I am not opposed to a Wait button, and could see it being quite useful, b ut maybe we just need to make it so the Look option can have the time set by the designer...

Also, this just came to me, so hasn't been tried out, but the Encounter event allows a definable menu -> one of the buttons could be "Wait" and it would be linked to a pass time event.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

I thought the time that passes when you press look is set in the global menu, Manikus (identical to the amount of time passing per step when in search mode). In any case, this would not be the same. I want to give the player the opportunity to let only 1 minute pass, but searching/looking at should last longer than 1 minute...

I must admit that I did not think about the "pass time" event, though. Does it trigger events on the same square once the time has passed? I have to check that. But however, you still would have to tie the "pass time event" to another event or maybe an NPC or item...

Therefore, if it is really not a big deal, than I would like that extra option. A movement of 0 steps, yes.

Since, as Paul pointed out, there are no movement buttons in DC, I think the space bar would be a good idea. What is important, is that events are triggered again after the waiting, so that you e.g. can watch a guard (with his movement triggered by party-minutes) pass by...

Last edited by Dinonykos; 06-29-2010 at 04:02 AM. Reason: exchanged "now" with "no"... :D
Dinonykos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

Sounds cool to me. I think the space bar being a movement button would be great.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Movement button or key?
I think what I wrote about "buttons" was a little confusing, but you probably got what I wanted to express...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Paul Stevens
Drow Warrior

UAFwin version 0.930068 implements
the spacebar to 'Wait'. One minute elapses
and step events, etc should get activated
(but I did not test it).

If you don't know where to find it or you
don't know how to use it, you better wait
until it comes out with version 1.0.
Manikus can test it a bit.
Paul Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Sounds good! Thanks!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

I actually did mean "key". good thing that Paul wasn't confused.

As for actually waiting - the space bar being pressed causes 1 minute to elapse but no movement to occur, and it causes step events to occur. Thanks, Paul.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #10
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
As for actually waiting - the space bar being pressed causes 1 minute to elapse but no movement to occur, and it causes step events to occur. Thanks, Paul.
That's exactly what I want, nice!
From version 0.93xx upwards, but not in 0.914xx, the version most people are probably using at the moment, right? (Otherwise, my request would have been senseless).
I will probably continue with Friedrich's Revenge in 9.14xx, but make some final changes in either 0.93xx or higher (maybe 1.0 is completed at the same time).

By the way, it seems that "look at" does only trigger events tied to the "party is searching" trigger. This is perhaps on purpose, but since "looking" is also tied to passing time, events triggered by "party time" should be triggered also, should they not?

Last edited by Dinonykos; 06-30-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Dinonykos is offline   Reply With Quote