Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Q. In the last campaign, you were asked a question about the biggest mistake you'd made in your life and you used to like to joke that it was trading Sammy Sosa. You've looked back before 9/11 for what mistakes might have been made. After 9/11, what would your biggest mistake be, would you say? And what lessons have you learned from it?

A. Hmmm. I wish you'd have given me this written question ahead of time so I could plan for it. I'm sure historians will look back and say, Gosh, he could have done it better this way or that way. You know, I just — I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference with all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer, but it hadn't yet.

I would have gone into Afghanistan the way we went into Afghanistan. Even though what I know today about the stockpiles of weapons, I still would have called upon the world to deal with Saddam Hussein. See, I happen to believe we'll find out the truth on the weapons. That's why we sent up the independent commission. I look forward to hearing the truth as — exactly where they are. They could still be there. They could be hidden, like, the 50 tons of mustard gas in a turkey farm.

One of the things that Charlie Duelfer talked about was that he was surprised at the level of intimidation he found amongst people who should know about weapons and their fear of talking about them, because they don't want to be killed. You know, there's this kind of, there's this terror still in the soul of some of the people in Iraq. They're worried about getting killed. And therefore, they're not going to talk. And it'll all settle out. We'll find out the truth about the weapons at some point in time.

However, the fact that he had the capacity to make them bothers me today just like it would have bothered me then. He's a dangerous man. He's a man who actually not only had weapons of mass destruction — and the reason I can say that with certainty is because he used them. And I have no doubt in my mind that he would like to have inflicted harm or paid people to inflict harm or trained people to inflict harm on America because he hated us.

You know, I hope I don't want to sound like I've made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't — you just put me under the spot here and maybe I'm not quick, as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one.
So, do you think, maybe, I should send him a list? Just trying to be helpful. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I do agree with him on one point, I'm confident that he has made mistakes, too!

I can think of many mistakes I've made over the last few years!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

I hypothotize Bush and Cheney need to appear together in order to avoid giving conflicting version of events.

Also, Bush has always avoided giving speeches that are unprepared and answering questions that aren't submitted beforehand and pre-approved. He may have that luxury with press conferences, but not in front of the 9-11 commision.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:51 AM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Harry Conick (sp?) lyrics, however appealing (hey, a gf of my young life did put that song on a mix tape she made for me, so it does hold sentimental value), aside, I think my presentation of what he SHOULD have said should not be presented to oppose what he DID say (if you meant it that way).

As for keen and alert, I note a distinct difference in his capabilities now as opposed to four years ago -- so, you may not think him keen or alert, but I try to give credit where I think it's due.

BTW, you did include his "I'm sure I've made mistakes" quote, which I think is important to note. To me, it shows that while he may not agree that certain asserted mistakes were made (Esp. based on the knowledge at the time), he does recognize his fallability.

As for whether or not we saw the same speech, I did watch it, I did post it in its entirety, and I only give my assessments. I'm sure you'll feel free to disagree.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 04:03 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Boy Timber, I did not see the same press conference that you did last night. Keen and alert do not describe my take on the President's performance.

Tomato - tomato, potato - potato, let's call the whole thing off!

Mark
I think I saw the same press conference you saw Mark. Bush kept to his usual script, (Danger, threat, resolve, danger, threat, resolve, God, danger, threat, resolve, God) [img]tongue.gif[/img] including the 'deer in headlights' look when hit with the odd unexpected question.

Did you see the earpiece he was rumored to be wearing? I didn't, but when I heard of it, I envisioned Carl Rove sitting nearby behind a curtain with a microphone, in case Bush forgot he recieved most of the questions beforehand so he could practice sticking to the same old script.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:49 AM   #15
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Did you see the earpiece he was rumored to be wearing? I didn't, but when I heard of it, I envisioned Carl Rove sitting nearby behind a curtain with a microphone, in case Bush forgot he recieved most of the questions beforehand so he could practice sticking to the same old script.
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN! I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ!

Mark
Old 04-15-2004, 05:10 AM   #16
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
As for keen and alert, I note a distinct difference in his capabilities now as opposed to four years ago -- so, you may not think him keen or alert, but I try to give credit where I think it's due.
I see no difference.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and in my opinion, you can't make speaker out of a bush.

People excuse his inability to be coherent at times as being just like an average person, folksy, and unpolished. I call it being unprofessional, unprepared, and embarrassing. I guess it's all in the interpretation.

Mark
Old 04-15-2004, 05:51 AM   #17
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
People excuse his inability to be coherent at times as being just like an average person, folksy, and unpolished. I call it being unprofessional, unprepared, and embarrassing. I guess it's all in the interpretation.
I guess so, but I do think you're being a little bit harsh, and perhaps trying to get a few shots in on Bush whenever possible. But I'll refrain from outright accusations.
Public speaking is a really tough job, especially when done in a presidential context. Bush isn't amazingly eloquent, but then most people arn't. Despite what you may think of his policies and actions as a president, cut him a little bit of slack when it comes to his speaking abilities. No degree of preparedness or 'professionalism' can dispell instinctual nerves when you are put on the podium in front of millions (and in some cases billions) of viewers. It aint easy, and he makes a good go of it.

[ 04-15-2004, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 04-15-2004, 06:33 AM   #18
skywalker
Banned User

I refuse your summation of me, The Hierophant.

There are more than enough people that stand behind Bush and support him without question. I also refuse to make kissyfacenice to the man I obviously do not support, it would make me untrue to myself.

Tell me about the wringer that Clinton was drawn through while he was President. Tell me about how much slack he was cut.

No, I will give no quarter. It IS a free country and my speech is free.

Mark
Old 04-15-2004, 08:17 AM   #19
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:

Public speaking is a really tough job, especially when done in a presidential context. Bush isn't amazingly eloquent, but then most people arn't. Despite what you may think of his policies and actions as a president, cut him a little bit of slack when it comes to his speaking abilities. No degree of preparedness or 'professionalism' can dispell instinctual nerves when you are put on the podium in front of millions (and in some cases billions) of viewers. It aint easy, and he makes a good go of it.

But it is an integral part of the job - a prerequisite for anyone seeking the position. A president that can't think in public is like a trial lawyer that can't think under the pressure of the jury's gaze or actor that gets stage fright every time a camera is pointed at him.

If he can't think on his feet in public, he isn't up to the job.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #20
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I'm with Skunk. Most people aren't comfortable speaking in public, this is true. The presidency is NOT a job for "most people."
There are valid ways to support Bush than to bring up this argument, Hierophant. This is not one of them.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote