Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-21-2001, 06:36 PM   #1
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I was just wondering what the weakests kit was so I don't have to find out through playing it and wasting my time.

Warby
Old 10-21-2001, 06:44 PM   #2
StarVid
Elminster

I think that the human kensai/mage dualed at level 9 is the weakest kit. This class has absolutely nothing.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:50 PM   #3
Tuor
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
I think that the human kensai/mage dualed at level 9 is the weakest kit. This class has absolutely nothing.
Hahahahahahahaha ROTFLMAO

Diviner is pretty crap, but believe me when you pick a rubbish kit you'll find out fairly quickly.

Cernd is also rubbish as is Haer Dalis (Although technically they're npcs)

Stick to the base fighter/mage/cleric/thief and you'll be fine

Some mage kits can be a pain, so can Jester but generally it's a matter of personal preference.

On a different note sorcerors, monks and kensai/mage dualled at 9t level are GREAT kits to play.

Old 10-21-2001, 07:19 PM   #4
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I don't like dueling. If I wanted to be a mage I woulda chose I mage but I wanted to be a Kensiai. If I do duel does that mean I get to wear robes and suchlike?. I don't like that a kensia can't wear much. No protection from magics and so on unless the weapon gives it to me.

Warby
Old 10-21-2001, 08:00 PM   #5
daeomer
Manshoon

Don't play a Wizard Slayer! Especially a Dwarven WS. Although in theory this is actually a pretty good kit, not playing a human, half-elf or elven character bites in terms of story. The WS actually never really gets to use the cumulative spell failure feature either cause if he is in close range he beats up mages well enough anyway. The only bonus is he is pretty good at not being effected by spells thanks to the magic resistance. Still I'm going to keep playing with him.
Old 10-21-2001, 08:27 PM   #6
Encard
Quintesson

Hmm... I'd say probably probably the Ranger-Beastmaster kit (can't use metal weapons... VERY, VERY bad until ToB). I'm fairly sure that the Avenger-Durid kit or the Totemic Druid kit are the alos pretty bad (the spirit animals aren't too great later on, and the extra shapeshifts... well, you still won't be all that great in melee, even as a fearsome BABY WYVERN (aaaah!!! it's so small and pointy! heh...), while losing 2 str and con isn't a good thing. Hmm... Those are probably the 3 weakest. The rest... well, some aren't as great as others, but none of them are quite as bad as these, I think. Well, actually, Wizardslayer is pretty bad too.

------------------
The Eternal ChAos-bringer of

HADB

CCCCCCcccccccHHHHHHHHhhhhhhAAAAAAAaaaaaaaOOOOOOOoo oooooSSSSSSSsssssss.............

[This message has been edited by Encard (edited 10-21-2001).]
Old 10-21-2001, 08:40 PM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

actually i dont think there is any worst kit. i went through the first time with a Wizard Slayer. and a Beastmaster isnt that bad either, just have to learn how to use his abilities (he can use a bow so hes a good support fighter). and an Avenger can also be good when used in conjunction with a mage, as they get the spells Chaos and Chain Lightning.

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Shadow Dragon of the DotW
Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server and bumper of Cloudy's Cafe
Possessor of the Aerie Diamond Head from the ALSB.
Page in the Court of Lady Lioness

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-22-2001, 12:40 AM   #8
StarVid
Elminster

Seriously, the kensai is not that great in my opinion, though he's 1/2 of one of the most "powerful" classes in the game (the kensai/mage), but I wouldn't mix him with a mage. The mage and the fighter are your two damage dealers in the game so it's not worth mixing to me. I'd rather mix with a support class (i.e. thief or cleric). Right now I'm taking an elven fighter/thief through BG1 and then BG2. I'd almost recommend the kensai, but the lack of armor makes me too nervous. Furthermore, other than the minor AC reduction (2 points) you get at character creation, your armor isn't going to get better. Right now, my F/T is carrying ankheg plate for when the battles get hairy, and shadow armor when he's getting all thiefy.

Frankly, I think all the kits suck if you're playing a single classed character. The swashbuckler is a lame F/T wannabe. It won't get extra attacks and it looses it's backstab. Still, it makes a great character to dual to a mage, dualed at about level 10 (even better than the kensai, IMO, because of the AC benefits), though it'll take a bit of time to catch up as a mage. The only fighter kit that I think is even halfway decent is the beserker. The temporary immunity to mind spells is nice, but then again, losing spec. in ranged weapons is a big killer.

In the end, especially with the way high level abilities work in ToB, I think that multiclassed chars get the better deal. My fighter/thief is certainly better than any thief kit, and can still hold his own as a fighter. If only I could figure out a way to mix a greater whirlwind and assasination...that would be nice.
Old 10-22-2001, 01:19 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Avoid Transmuter, unless you do not mind depending on your party a lot.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:53 AM   #10
Rikard

Basicly All Kit's are useful
Though Personally I think a Beastmasters pro's don't weigh up to the con's
The Bow is nice and a familiar can be fun
but it doesn't make up for not being able to wear good armor
Still it's a nice kit

Avoid Mage kits not allowing Necromancy, Alteration and Evocation as those are te strongest spellschools
Necromancy and Evocation to deal serious damage and Alteration to remove enemieçasters protections

------------------