Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-14-2001, 03:58 PM   #1
mentos freshmaker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm creating a kensai character that i plan on dualing to a thief at level 9 (since that's the best point to do so, from what i've read). What weapon proficiency should I give my kensai that will be compatible with the ability to backstab I will be getting later on? I want to pick katana, but I'm not sure if that will work. Any tips?

(Sorry if this is an old question; I tried to use the search function on the message board, but it kept timing out on me without results.)
Old 08-14-2001, 03:59 PM   #2
mentos freshmaker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Also, is two-weapon style incompatible with backstabbing? I don't suppose you can backstab while holding two weapons, can you? If so, which are the best two weapons for a two-handed backstab?

Sorry to be blurry on the core rules; don't own D&D, just Baldur's Gate II.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:04 PM   #3
trux

Hey Mentos,

If I'm not mistaken Kensai/Thiefs can backstab with a katana (or a long sword, etc. for that matter,) but I don't know about the proficencies question - I usually don't play thieves.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-14-2001, 04:06 PM   #4
Darkon Blackblood
The Magister

yes u can bckstab w/katanas and 2 weapons the best bet would be
katanas and longswords
both weapons don't nessicarily hit but it's just as likely as
a nomal dual weild atttack
Old 08-14-2001, 04:14 PM   #5
mentos freshmaker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the info! Would you recommend that i begin with stars in two-handed style, katana, and longsword, then? Or do you think I would get more juice by specializing in just katana with single weapon style?

Old 08-14-2001, 04:32 PM   #6
Zaragoth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would recommend that you play as an Assassin instead. Kensai/Thieves are for powergamers. If you ask me. Sorry, play with what you think is most fun. I should not interfere. (Is that the word?)
Old 08-14-2001, 04:41 PM   #7
mentos freshmaker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What is it about the assassin that appeals to you? The poison ability, or the theif abilities with extra backstab in the sequel?
Old 08-14-2001, 05:53 PM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

If you want a really powerful kensai/thief, you should put 5 stars in katana, then get celestial fury. I think it's good to dualwield 2 katanas, but single weapon style is also good.

------------------

Hmmmmmm...Yes, that must be it
Old 08-14-2001, 06:11 PM   #9
Lord Shield

Lord Raptor is a Fighter/Mage/Thief - and yes he could backstab with katanas

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 08-15-2001, 02:46 AM   #10
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Assassins are just dead cool I played a fighter/assassin and I still won't shut up about it
I made it through both mindflayer lairs without getting hit once by using potions, rings and hide in shadows to stay unseen, and then dealing major damage with a poisoned x7 backstab.

------------------
Why?