Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Arcan d'Ombre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Smiley

Hi everyone,

i don't understand how xp is given....

I begon the Official Campaign with different character, and the xp is never the same !!!

Look : i am a level four fighter in the prison, and i gain 7 xp for an escaped prisoner (and i don't have any henchman)

When i play in the prison with my fighter(1)/wizard(3), i gain 60 xp for the same escaped prisoners (still no henchman)

How comes ????
Old 02-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

As a default, some classes, like the wizard, gain more xp than others. You could compare it to the way rogues and bards level up much quicker than other classes do in Baldur's Gate. Although the amount of xp you need to advance a level is the same in each case here, the varying rates mean that there is that difference.
You can view the exact details on standard xp gain by opening the xptable.2da file in your /nwn/source directory. This may be adjusted in-game so the values aren't exact values, or shouldn't be unless the xp slider is set at 1.
More relevantly, you can view the effective character levels for a class in the classes.2da in the same folder. Notepad can display .2da files effortlessly.
The files will tell you that, up to level 14, not every class counts as having the level it does. What it means is that at, say, level 4 (EffCRLvl04), a wizard counts as being level 2 (row 9). A fighter counts as being level 4, and therefore the resultant xp is much lower when facing a creature of the same challenge rating.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
Arcan d'Ombre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, thaht's precise and clear...Thank you !

So i'll put a bard lvl to gain more xp (and oh, did you say dragon disciple ?)

Ciao
Old 02-18-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

I don't that taking a single bard level helps much; a level 1 bard counts as a level 1 creature. However, taking 3 bard levels is much more efficient as you'll count as being 2 levels below your actual challenge rating. The same is true for 5 levels in bard, sorcerer or wizard. The total adjusted level is calculated by adding the bonusses for all classes.

All the same, I don't think the effects are significant enough to base your build around. You'd sooner let bonus feats and spell availability determine how many levels in a class you're best off taking.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Betelgeuse
Zhentarim Guard

that reminds me, does this have xp penalties for having classes spread out in lvl - and the favoured class thing..
Old 02-18-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

It does. If one of your classes is more than 1 class higher or lower than the other ones, you suffer a 20% xp penalty.
However, for this purpose, the favoured class counts as not being there at all. In the case of humans and half-elves, the highest class counts as not being there.

What's more, prestige classes don't count either. All that makes that you are very unlikely to suffer those penalties, you really have to try hard for that.