Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 07-04-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
Stratos
Vampire

I have a few questions regarding this multiclass:

1. From a roleplaying point of view, is this an generally accepted class combination or is it something every DM with self-respect would ban immediatly? I'm thinking in the line of online play, some PW's out there emphasizes on role-play more than pure action.

a. The manual says that if a Paladin changes alignment from LG to anything else he loses the ability to level up until his alignment is LG once more, does he loose his Paladin abilities as well or only his the ability to level up?

b. Law/chaos alignment change isn't implemented in the Official Campaign right? But if a mod out there allows this change would the effect of such change be the same as if the Paladin just lost the "level-up-ability", in other words would going from LG to CG have the same effect as going from LG to LN ( or even worse LE?)

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:14 AM   #2
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
I have a few questions regarding this multiclass:

1. From a roleplaying point of view, is this an generally accepted class combination or is it something every DM with self-respect would ban immediatly? I'm thinking in the line of online play, some PW's out there emphasizes on role-play more than pure action.
Perfectly acceptable. Not too bad, either, considering that both classes use Charisma for their special abilities. However, each level of paladin taken is one less level of spellcasting ability with the sorcerer. If you wish to be able to cast 9th level spells with the sorcerer part, then you can only take 2 levels in paladin (there are only 20 levels in NwN; if you are playing PnP and have the Epic Level Handbook in force then it is less of an issue). The reason is sorcerers get their 9th level spells at 18th level, and if you can only go to 20th level, that's only 2 levels. However, if you don't mind losing some spell ability to be a better warrior (more of a straight warrior/wizard combo, where you are not as good at either one individually but solid at both), then no problem. The good part is that in NwN, the paladin gets all of their special abilities by 3rd level (though lay on hands, smite evil, and turn undead all are based at least partially on level, so need to keep that in mind). In PnP it is a little harder, as they get their special mount at 5th level, etc. Unless you plan to keep the levels within one of each other, definitely have to be human or half-elf to avoid the penalties to xp.

The biggest factor is fun, though. Try one out and see what you think.

Quote:
a. The manual says that if a Paladin changes alignment from LG to anything else he loses the ability to level up until his alignment is LG once more, does he loose his Paladin abilities as well or only his the ability to level up?
In NwN, it is the ability to level up only, not a loss of powers. Of course, you could just level up to where you need to be, change alignment, then take levels in sorcerer. Roleplaying justification: you tried to walk the path, but it was too much for you. You always knew you had both the talent in sorcery and the call of the paladin, but now that you can no longer in good faith follow the path of the paladin (disillusionment, etc.), you turn towards sorcery.

In PnP, it is even more restrictive. Once you start taking levels in paladin, you cannot take a level in any other class. If so, it freezes your advancement in paladin. Also, losing the alignment means you lose the abilities as well.

Quote:
b. Law/chaos alignment change isn't implemented in the Official Campaign right? But if a mod out there allows this change would the effect of such change be the same as if the Paladin just lost the "level-up-ability", in other words would going from LG to CG have the same effect as going from LG to LN ( or even worse LE?)
Yes, exactly. They must maintain a lawful good alignment. It doesn't matter which way it varies, just that it does vary from LG.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

Thanks. I was thinking something in the line of Pal(1)/Sorc(?) just for the Divine Grace.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:13 AM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Thanks. I was thinking something in the line of Pal(1)/Sorc(?) just for the Divine Grace.
Divine Grace is awesome, but Divine Health is also useful. It might also be worth your time to go with 2 levels in Paladin, just to add Aura of Courage. Also nice to use all martial weapons, and be able to throw on a suit of armor if you absolutely needed to.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 07-06-2003, 02:11 AM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

On some servers the Sorcerer/Paladin multiclass is viewed as somewhat strange. This has to do with the conflicting beliefs of both classes.
If you have a good RP reason for having your character be the way he/she is and stick to it in your playing it's fine, but if it is 'Because my parents were a sorceress and a paladin' or 'Because the order of the Legged Squid made me an honourary member' or 'Because I wanted the bonusses', prepare for a request to create a new character on some servers, or a loss of either wisdom or charisma modifiers (or both) to represent the loss of spells due to lack of faith in one class or another (or both).
On most servers they won't make a big deal out of it, but there are indeed a few exceptions where it is thought to be an unlikely combination.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #6
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Actually, you can get to level three in Paladin because you get 9th level spells at 17th level I believe. So you can still get Turn Undead and Remove disease! woo hoo!
Old 07-07-2003, 11:13 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Willard:
Actually, you can get to level three in Paladin because you get 9th level spells at 17th level I believe. So you can still get Turn Undead and Remove disease! woo hoo!
Just checked the manual to confirm; the wizard gets 9th level spells at level 17, and the sorcerer gets them at level 18.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:23 PM   #8
koconnor100
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
quote:
Originally posted by Willard:
Just checked the manual to confirm; the wizard gets 9th level spells at level 17, and the sorcerer gets them at level 18. [/QUOTE]actually, I would have thought the sorcerer(1)/Paladin(the rest) would be the perfect combo.

Gives you the Mage Armor (+4ac), protection from evil ( immune to mind effects) and the identify magic spells , all for the price of hot keying your armor and shield so you can pop it off at any time, cast the spell , pop it back on , and charge into battle.

Though I have to admit a 50/50 split is also workable (those second level buffs are great, still spell feat to give you acid arrows as third level spells, and the stone skin at 4th level to add an extra 100 hp , ). Buff city , man. Immune to almost everything, excellent tank.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:53 PM   #9
Tancred
White Dragon

If Mystra is the patron of all arcane magic, and a sorceror is a user of arcane magic... couldn´t you have a Paladin/Sorceror as a kind of variant on the Paladin of Mystra in ID2?
Old 07-30-2003, 04:49 PM   #10
Stratos
Vampire

I believe that Paladins of Bahamut, the god of good dragons, can multiclass freely with Sorcerers, supposedly since Sorcerers might have dragon blood in their veins, but that's a special case.

I agree that Paladin(1)/Sorcerer(19) is an a bit suspicious combination. 10/10, 8/12 or similar makes more sense from a roleplaying point of view.