Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Imrahil
Elminster

I recently started up a new game after a long hiatus and realized I was doing some things just because I *always* do them (or, I guess, *never* do them). Nothing major, nothing plot-important. Just little things that seem fun. Anyone else do this?

Here's a couple of examples...

- After leaving the Asylum, I always let Imoen Fireball those 4 Lizard Men, then pick off any survivors using magic. It seems like a good way to let her let off a little steam.

- I never attack the Deep Gnomes, no matter how Evil my PC. Some things are too Evil for me, I guess. Just never could bring myself to do it.

- I always have Aerie (assuming I let her join) kill Kalah. Even if I have to turn off the Party AI & have everyone else stand around for a bit, watching the show.

- While in the Underdark, I always have my Mages stock up on Spider Spawns & summon them whenever possible. It cuts down on my Stoneskins, but it just seems appropriate.

- If my PC is a Mage or Sorcerer, I always CLUA in the Serpent Shaft right from the beginning. It's pretty useless, but it looks pretty cool to carry it around.

- In the Asylum, I always stop to summon something to get squished in the un-disarmable trap. It's like a ritual - I really look forward to it.

Anyone else have anything you always (or never) do, that has no real effect on the game but seems fun?

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

lol @ looking forward to the asylum trap - i wish i had something fun in that part of the game - it usually infects me with gloom . . .

if i have a any character that uses leather armour (thief elements or ranger kits) i always play female and change the avatar to elf thief because it is so very very cool - i also only use short swords or daggers with it beause everything else looks wrong

i always quite like watching Hendak extract his own justice in the Coronet - it seems wrong to interfere somehow
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I also let Aerie land the finishing blow on Kalah. But I take things a bit further. All-round spoilers ahoy.

All of the characters I intend on bringing with me for the long haul each get to land the finishing blow on one high-experience granting, sexy status foe. That way, everyone has someone impressive under Most Powerful Defeated. The foe in question is generally someone I can justify a character having a problem with. For example, Jahiera gets Firkragg, as a godmotherly gesture, while Mazzy gets to clean out the Shadow Lord's dungeon.

Something I enjoy is waiting for the last leg of the last battle with Irenicus. When the end is near, I have everyone stop casting or using items and just attack him with weapons. This obeys Rule 117 on the Evil Overlord list: "No matter how much I want revenge, I will never order an underling, 'Leave him! He's mine!'" This is instead equivalent to the characters tearing Irenicus to pieces like the bacchae. Great fun! Right, Boo?

I also do things like free Viconia or help Jan on general principles, even if they're not coming with me.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Paal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I always mock Nalias mother even though I know it costs me 10k of gold. And I always keep the silver pantaloons. Arrogant high class lady's don't get much love from me. Nope!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:42 AM   #5
Mahokenshi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmm.

SOME SPOILERS IN MINE .... ONLY MINOR ONES

I always use the potion of master thievery from the posh bedroom in Chateau Irencius to pick pocket Ribald.

I always give Jahiera and Yoshimo the ceremonial jumpkick out of my party once I leave the adventure mart the first time (and have sold all the random stuff so I don't need pack mules anymore.)

I always never pay for a magic license. Negative plane protection and hold person are, after all, cleric spells.

I always click on boo a bunch of times after resucing Minsc. Oh, and I always rescue Minsc.

I always kill Edwin. (I do not like all this meyham. I will not murder, Ed-I-Am. I will not murder in a box. I will not murder with a fox. I will not murder Dynaheir. I will not murder anywhere. )

But, I always rescue Viconia. Go figure.

And, just to round out the set, I always ignore Korgan.

Oh, and one last one. I always tell the Aboleth (the big fish in Ust Natha) to get stuffed. I NEVER kill the priestess he wants, merely to be contrary. Even though I always invade House Jae'llet (or however it's spelled.)
Mahokenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

I always drink in the Sea's Bounty. ( I see it as my local )

Also I don't think I've ever backed down from Amalas. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

IT'S SPOILERIFIC!

I usually run a good campaign and an evil campaign at the same time. It's fun to have a game with CN Anomen and LG Anomen, among other things.

I try not to use summons against the big guys: dragons, Kangaxx and cohorts, Shangalar, Irenicus, etc.

If I'm playing with Keldorn, I always have to try and kill the lesser Demon Lord. (Mostly because he's carrying one of the few weapons that can damage it at that point in the game.)

And, no matter what type of party I have, I try at least once to protect my party from evil, charm a roomful of people, and cast Summon Fiend or Gate. :evil:
Old 03-24-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I always buy a ton of Master Thievery potions before heading for Spellhold. I later give them to Imoen, so she can rob the Drow merchants in Ust Natha.

When I'm done playing, I'll often leave the game on pause for another hour. This will result in immediate new dialogues with party members. This may sound a bit odd, but in the past I was always frustrated that I didn't have the time to listen to all their lines before finishing the game.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
slimjimosu
Dungeon Master

1. In my first stop at the CC, I always fight Amalas (like Madman-Rogovich mentioned)despite Aerie's whining.

2. I also always rat out Rumar to his wife downstairs. I find it interesting to keep an informal count of the ratio of the two ladies winning the fight. I'd guess it's probably about 50-50 but the last 4 times I've played that scene, the wife has won the fight. I love little details like that that keep the game fresh.

3. I almost always listen to the story of the kids at the Crooked Crane at the gates and talk to them. Interesting how no one notices the lich in the back room. Guess they've seen it all in the Gate District.

4. In Brynnlaw, I always hel Ginia and Ason to escape and pay their sea fare.

5. I always rob the guy upstairs from Gaelan in the slums. He's got that pair of ID glasses that is just too tempting as well as a whole room full of +1 weapons staring at me. That's what potions of MT and pick pockets are for.
slimjimosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
slimjimosu
Dungeon Master

1. In my first stop at the CC, I always fight Amalas (like Madman-Rogovich mentioned)despite Aerie's whining.

2. I also always rat out Rumar to his wife downstairs. I find it interesting to keep an informal count of the ratio of the two ladies winning the fight. I'd guess it's probably about 50-50 but the last 4 times I've played that scene, the wife has won the fight. I love little details like that that keep the game fresh.

3. I almost always listen to the story of the kids at the Crooked Crane at the gates and talk to them. Interesting how no one notices the lich in the back room. Guess they've seen it all in the Gate District.

4. In Brynnlaw, I always hel Ginia and Ason to escape and pay their sea fare.

5. I always rob the guy upstairs from Gaelan in the slums. He's got that pair of ID glasses that is just too tempting as well as a whole room full of +1 weapons staring at me. That's what potions of MT and pick pockets are for.
slimjimosu is offline   Reply With Quote