Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 04:55 AM   #11
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

I think tornado's are pretty scary...I am lucky that I live in the part of Australia that I am in, we don't get tornado's where I am..but we do get cyclone's (aka Monsoon's).
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 06-06-2004, 10:19 AM   #12
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
If it did come, we would've hid in a storage room made out of solid concrete, no windows or anything.
Cowards! Stop hiding and fight it! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
We usually end up with a tornado warning at least 3-5 times a year where I am at. Any time you get a powerful thunderstorm in San Antonio, it seems like almost every time there is at least a tornado watch.
It sucks living in the Tornado Alley, doesnt it...(it does continue that far south, right?) During my rather brief "visit" in the Dallas area(Coppell, to be exact. we lived there for 3 years), we saw three tornados, of which none hit us directly. The closest call was when a tornado was about to land very near us, but sucked its self back up to the clouds. would have been an F-2 or -3, and it was scary as hell!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 06-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
It sucks living in the Tornado Alley, doesnt it...(it does continue that far south, right?)
yes, it goes down that far, it is basicly the center of the US that is called that, from North Dekota, down to Texas, and across from there, have to look at the map to see it, but it does cover most of Texas.

I think the super cell is the most awesome thunderstorm there is, what I mean is it's raw power, it is the single most powerful thunderstorm system in the state of Arkansas, a single super cell can produce multiple tornados, and all though I still fear them, I still like to watch them, I have seen probably 20 tornados in my life time, one was an unusual one, that went upwards instead of down, my brother and I saw it when we were younger, we were at a walmart, and standing outside waiting on the rest of our family to come out, there was this strange sound above us, we looked up, and there was this hole in the sky, but it was spinning, and rippling we thought it was really cool, but when other people saw it, they started yelling, and runing :/ I do not remember if it touched down anywhere or not

[ 06-06-2004, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 06-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #14
Lady Sedai
Banned User

I've been dealing with tornadoes every year of my life.

Living in the Atlanta area (just south of, really) and then in northern Florida and for 3 years in eastern Tennessee, and now back in Georgia since '96 - I've yet to see a year without at *least* one tornado.

I've become kind of immune to the fear part. At least, as long as I'm at home and know where my pets are...

As a kid, we'd get everything down in the basement. As an adult, I've had to go the closet or bathroom route.

I've been fortunate to never be hit by one directly, though they've ravaged each city I've lived in and some surrounding cities.

There were even a couple of times on a trip from my Mom's (in Georgia) back to Tennessee where I was travelling in the wake of tornadoes. You could see the paths they'd taken across the road in front of me not minutes before.

I think if I didn't have pets, I'd be one of those 'storm chasers'.

[ 06-06-2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Lady Sedai ]
Old 06-07-2004, 12:57 AM   #15
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

I've only ever been through one cyclone in my life, and that was pretty scary; the town flooded, trees were up-rooted, houses destroyed, cars turned over...it was pretty scary...that's what i get for living near the coast [img]tongue.gif[/img]
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 06-07-2004, 09:15 AM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Z, glad you shut down and waited it out! I've been through a few tornados and warnings and it was scary each time. Had a few touch down within a few miles of where I was, once in Arkansas and once up in NYS.

We've got underground power lines in my neighborhood but we still loose power during heavy storms like the hail and wind we got last week!