Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2004, 11:34 PM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Quote:
Edvard Munch's famous paintings "The Scream" and "Madonna" were stolen from an art museum yesterday while stunned museum-goers watched armed men threatening the staff at gunpoint as they took the artworks to a waiting car, police said.

"Two or three armed men threatened an employee with a handgun to give them 'The Scream' and 'Madonna,'" police spokeswoman Hilde Walsoe told The Associated Press. "No one has been physically injured, and the suspects escaped in an Audi A6. We are searching for the suspects with all available means."

Many museum visitors panicked and thought they were being attacked by terrorists.

"He was wearing a black face mask and something that looked like a gun to force a female security guard down on the floor," visitor Marketa Cajova told the NTB news agency.

A French radio producer, Francois Castang, said he was visiting the Munch Museum in Oslo when thieves burst in and made off with the paintings, including the painter's depiction of an anguished figure with its head in its hands.

"What's strange is that in this museum, there weren't any means of protection for the paintings, no alarm bell," Castang told France Inter radio.

"The paintings were simply attached by wire to the walls," he said. "All you had to do is pull on the painting hard for the cord to break loose - which is what I saw one of the thieves doing."

Castang said police arrived on the scene 15 minutes later. Visitors were ushered into the museum's cafeteria.

Police were notified at 11:10 a.m. (0910 GMT), and at 1 p.m. (1100 GMT) they had cordoned off the area around the museum to interview 25 witnesses.

In February 1994, "The Scream" was stolen from the museum and remained missing for nearly three months. Police ultimately recovered the work, which is on fragile paper, undamaged in a hotel in Asgardstrand, about 40 miles (65 kilometers) south of the capital, Oslo. Three Norwegians were arrested.

At the time, investigators said the trio tried to ransom the painting, demanding US$1 million from the government. it was never paid.

"The Madonna" is an oil on canvas and is 90.5 centimeters by 70.5 centimeters Munch painted it during 1894-1895. The painting features a woman surrounded by swimming sperm and a fetus in the lower left corner.

Munch, a Norwegian painter and graphic artist who worked in Germany as well as his home country, developed an emotionally charged style that was of great importance in the birth of the 20th century Expressionist movement.

He painted "The Scream" in 1893, as part of his "Frieze of Life" series, in which sickness, death, anxiety, and love are central themes. He died in 1944 at the age of 81.
Source.

[ 08-22-2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Old 08-22-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Well... that sucks I hope it's recovered.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:39 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yeah, I heard aboutn that on the radio this morning, pretty dodgy, what can you do with it??
Who is going to buy the picture when everyone knows that it is stolen, and there is no way to brag about it without bieng found out....
Old 08-22-2004, 11:45 PM   #4
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Hmmm... Perhaps some kingpin painting-collector wants to add it to his selection? And yeah, I agree with Bungleau - I hope its recovered. The gallery obviously lacks the required security, so its surprising that they displayed one of the world's most famous paintings there.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:27 AM   #5
DBear
Drow Warrior

I would check Howard Dean's office [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I'm going to agree with what HiveTyrant says. I mean, what's the point of stealing that?
The only possible explanation is that the painting contains hidden coded messages that detail secrets beyond our comprehension, and the thief is on the verge of a major breakthrough. That's the only possible reason for stealing that. Now pass the coffee; we still have 7 more hours of Alias to watch.

[ 08-23-2004, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:10 AM   #7
Spirits forever

omg, now that sucks, i wanted to see that painting, it's really amusing, but now it's stolen?!!
that really really sucks..
i hope they find it soon enough, before the next two years, [img]tongue.gif[/img]

well yeah, i saw the news on tv and read it here...

Old 08-23-2004, 04:54 AM   #8
Har'oloth
Manshoon

okay they cant sell it so why steal it?
Old 08-23-2004, 05:06 AM   #9
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Perhaps there are collectors out there who would be willing to risk buying a stolen painting? Or with such a lack of security maybe its an attempt at insurance fraud?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:54 AM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hehehe, whenever I see that painting, I am reminded of Homer playing Foozball with Michaelangelo's David, then saying "Who's next?"
Then the character from "the scream" comes along and yells "MEEEEEEEEE"
Hehehehe, always laugh at that one.